Reshipping (ordering closed) January 2023 Cards Mold Group Buy - Add-Ons & Other Stock Sets Welcome (1 Viewer)

Good morning,
Just to be clear (I'm a total nubie here), this GB is NOT for new artwork?
Thanks,
Charlie

@timinater crushed the Noir tribute :love:

Open to anyone, with his design fee due towards the end of the month when you pay for your full order.

96AA830B-0B05-40BE-B9A5-866DD253ED8F.jpeg

OMG I would love a tourney set of these ..... I wish the Piz Gloria was a T25000 :(

Hmmmmm....I'd be ok with making some variations, could probably make that happen in time for this order. Only problem is that the Whyte House chip is also white, so other changes would have to be made. Might be cool to make a secondary set. Do you want to PM, to take the discussion off this thread.

Just to remind, this buy will not include any proofs/samples printed, just going straight to production. Shouldn't be an issue, as all these chips have already been produced in a past order, and we'd just be changing denominations. But as always, I'll leave final say to @dmoney

OK. Here is my order: All 39mm
For Aria Tourney's:
T25 - 250
T100 - 250
T500 - 100
T1000 - 150
T5000 - 75
T25000 - 25

Aria Cash:
0.25 - 100
$1 - 100
$5 - 75
$20 - 25

1150 total

Fuck it. I'm gonna say it. A noir tribute set? Please explain to me what is tribute about blatantly copying artwork made by someone who is so highly regarded in this circle without paying some kind of "tribute" in the inlay?
Even copying chips from corporations is treading a fine line. But now we're copying stuff from members here, too? This is why I'm not around anymore. Tell me his name is somewhere in this thread used in a way that would thank him for the real versions. Tell me somewhere in here is a quote from him saying he's cool with this.

Fuck it. I'm gonna say it. A noir tribute set? Please explain to me what is tribute about blatantly copying artwork made by someone who is so highly regarded in this circle without paying some kind of "tribute" in the inlay?
Even copying chips from corporations is treading a fine line. But now we're copying stuff from members here, too? This is why I'm not around anymore. Tell me his name is somewhere in this thread used in a way that would thank him for the real versions. Tell me somewhere in here is a quote from him saying he's cool with this.
Hi, I gather by your comments I may have done something wrong. I’d like to know more please. Can I ask that you send me a pm about it? If not that’s ok too.

100% agree with this. Definitely not cool to copy from another PCF designer without their permission.

I will say that I know Dallas well enough to know that he would not knowingly do that. I suspect that he believed this was a GPI design and not one from a PCF designer. I Imagine @timinater also did not know this.

Might have been a better way to bring this to everyone's attention rather than just assuming anyone blatantly copied artwork from another though.

I’ll be honest, I always thought the Le Noir design was just a generic design. Even the tribute above has a different design from the original. Could be any random ornamental design on the inlay. And just putting a denomination around the edge isn’t exactly super unique. I’m all about giving credit where credit is due but, again, I really thought this was just a generic design. I imagine others think that too.
2B60E832-C935-431E-BFA2-6B6C27B9532F.jpeg

I always thought it was a design from Paulson as well, but a bit of research shows that @Johnny5 did the artwork. No surprise because his work is amazing!

I always thought it was a design from Paulson as well, but a bit of research shows that @Johnny5 did the artwork. No surprise because his work is amazing!
Agreed that @Johnny5 is incredible. I don’t think I will personally use anyone else ever again. He’s helped bring a couple of my concepts to life and has crushed both of them.
C5401CCC-5E83-4ACB-B8FB-715858C8E786.jpeg

I was not aware that the Noirs were designed by @Johnny5. I’ll write him a PM to apologize for any perceived attempt at ripping off his work. I will also reconsider the decision overall: maybe some design tweaks will make a more clear distinction, or perhaps I (we?) would be better off without this set being made at all.

Either way, thanks for calling it out, @Quicksilver-75. Please message me if you would like to discuss it further. I messed up and I hope these actions make it right.

100% agree with this. Definitely not cool to copy from another PCF designer without their permission.

I will say that I know Dallas well enough to know that he would not knowingly do that. I suspect that he believed this was a GPI design and not one from a PCF designer. I Imagine @timinater also did not know this.
I also agree with @Quicksilver-75. You are correct that I would not have ripped off an artists work knowingly, and I appreciate your saying so. @timinater also confirmed that he did not know.

Not an excuse, but it seems to be a case of misguided enthusiasm around a cool design. It’s on me for starting that process.

I’ll be honest, I always thought the Le Noir design was just a generic design. Even the tribute above has a different design from the original. Could be any random ornamental design on the inlay. And just putting a denomination around the edge isn’t exactly super unique. I’m all about giving credit where credit is due but, again, I really thought this was just a generic design. I imagine others think that too.
View attachment 1060143
@chipinla is absolutely correct! This is not a blatant rip-off. It is, in fact a tribute. The design behind the denomination is definitely different.

Here is the actual Noir design. What really makes the Noirs special is the mold pattern, much more than a graphic design behind the denom. And there is nothing unique about denoms written out in a circle around the inlay.

Noir Sample set.jpeg

@dmoney, if I were you I would simply email John to ask for his thoughts. Explain that neither you or Tim knew that it was his work, and if he feels it's a copy of his work, then by all means let it go. John is too valuable and respected of a resource here to many of us. But he may look at it and say it's a tribute and he is fine with it. Or he might suggest changes. No way to know until you ask. Let me know if you don't have John's email address and I'll give it to you as he's not on here very much and might not see a PM right away.

@chipinla is absolutely correct! This is not a blatant rip-off. It is, in fact a tribute. The design behind the denomination is definitely different.

Here is the actual Noir design. What really makes the Noirs special is the mold pattern, much more than a graphic design behind the denom. And there is nothing unique about denoms written out in a circle around the inlay.

View attachment 1060462

@dmoney, if I were you I would simply email John to ask for his thoughts. Explain that neither you or Tim knew that it was his work, and if he feels it's a copy of his work, then by all means let it go. John is too valuable and respected of a resource here to many of us. But he may look at it and say it's a tribute and he is fine with it. Or he might suggest changes. No way to know until you ask. Let me know if you don't have John's email address and I'll give it to you as he's not on here very much and might not see a PM right away.
I did send a pm earlier tonight but forgot that email is better for him. I think I have it somewhere and will follow up there too.

I’m starting with my sincere apologies and will go from there. In the grand scheme I care way less about poker chips than trying to do right by an artist and PCFer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom