DONATION THREAD for PCF vendor DESjGN (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

justsomedude

Straight Flush
Reaction score
Update 2/5/18
MONEYS SENT!
Vendor update here.
upload_2018-2-5_19-31-54.png

For those of you who may be unaware, DESjGN, a well known and respected PCF vendor and manufacturer of incredible plastic playing cards, launched a new offering of bridge/jumbo playing cards last year on Kickstarter due to demand from this forum's members.

The Kickstarter was a success and DESjGN completed the manufacturing process, and delivered the cards as promised in the fall of 2017. However, soon after cards began shipping out, some buyers began noticing inconsistent color shades on the backs of their cards under certain lighting conditions. Some buyers were even able to pick out specific cards based on the different shades. This essentially meant you were playing with a marked deck.

After being notified of the color shade issue, DESjGN made both his Kickstarter backers and the PCF community aware of the problem, and began working to solve it. The ultimate goal was to have the entire order reprinted by the vendor. DESjGN notified the vendor, and even had buyers contact the vendor directly, to let them know how pervasive the problem was. Unfortunately, after weeks of waiting on some type of response/action by the vendor, we can only assume that they will not be reprinting the cards. DESjGN has now indicated that he will move forward with a full reprint of these cards from a different vendor.

Jason with DESjGN will be covering the full cost of the reprint out of his own pocket, essentially eating into his profits from the Kickstarter campaign.

So... after seeing @upNdown's suggestion of starting a collection for Jason, I thought I would go ahead and do so, and that's what this thread is about. This thread also has the blessings of PCF admins, and the donations can start immediately...

Donation details:
  • There is no raffle - this a straight donation project for Jason of DESjGN to help him offset the cost of a reprint for his bridge/jumbo plastic playing cards.
  • Kickstarter backers and PCF members are under NO obligation to donate, this is strictly a voluntary project.
  • 100% of donations will be passed on to Jason of DESjGN.
  • For transparency, a summary of all donations will be posted below.
  • Please put your PCF username in the payment notes!
  • If you'd like to remain anonymous in the summary list, please let me know via PM!
How to donate:

Donations temporarily halted.

In conclusion, I'd just like to say that I have a great love and respect for this community, and seeing some one get hosed by a larger company quite frankly, pisses me off. I'm hoping we can do even just a little to help share Jason's burden of reprinting this large order.

Sincerely,
Andrew

Donations Received
$25 - @Psypher1000
$50 - @justsomedude
$60 - @Tommy
$40 - @DrStrange
$25 - @Jackstraw
$25 - @MegaTon44
$15 - @Perthmike
$25 - @tommythecat
$25 - @liftapint
$25 - @abby99
$30 - @GIANTDustySquid
$25 - @CraigT78
$25 - @Jeff
$25 - @Joe E.
$5 - @upNdown
$25 - @buss56
$30 - @TheBigTater
$25 - @arch3r
$30 - anonymous
$25 - @Forty4
$15 - no PCF username provided (T.D. initials)
$25 - @witlessdiviner
$50 - @TroyMan
$30 - @Mesnik44
$20 - @p5woody
$25 - @bentax1978
$30 - @MatB
$50 - @toad94
$25 - @Burke
$20 - @ejot
$20 - @pedrofisk
$15 - @CdnBeerLover
$15 - @FoldKing72
$20 - @One Eyed Dollar
$25 - @ChaosRock
$25 - @RainmanTrail
$30 - @Apache

Current tally: $1,000

Donations current as of 11:15am Mountain Time 1/24/18.
Will update again tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
Andrew,

This is very admirable and I like the idea a lot. I will contribute proportionately to the size of my order, which was for 30 sets. But if you don’t mind, I will wait until the reprint is done and I receive a set that I can use in our games before making my donation.

I do recognize this is a financial burden on Jason and I do wish those jerks at Modiano had taken responsibility for their monumental fu@& up. Hopefully we can collect enough contributions to lower the financial impact on Jason.

Andrew,

This is very admirable and I like the idea a lot. I will contribute proportionately to the size of my order, which was for 30 sets. But if you don’t mind, I will wait until the reprint is done and I receive a set that I can use in our games before making my donation.

No worries at all!!!

There is no obligation here, and I completely understand. I know some folks were frustrated when the defects were discovered, so I don't blame anyone for wanting to wait and see how things shake out with the reprint. (y) :thumbsup:

is it cool to send the donation money now? or do you want us to hold off for a bit?

disregard: sending now

Thanks for starting this, I was a tiny part of the original buy and was lucky to have no issues with my order. I'm happy to contribute to this effort and will happily buy setups I don't need when the new batch is made.

Modiano is dead to me.

If they make bad product for him then they are responsible not Jason. He should take this to court. I will gladly donate to the lawyer fees.

I'm not trying to tell Jason, or any PCF member for that matter, how to spend their money, but the costs of an international legal battle would likely eclipse that of the Kickstarter campaign.

The unfortunate reality of being a small business owner is that you sometimes have to weigh doing what's "right," with what's most practical and cost effective. And while most would agree that taking an Italian card manufacturer to court is the right move here, that course could prove cost prohibitive... even with thousands of dollars in donations. And the outcome of that legal fight would be uncertain at best.

I'm willing to bet that Jason has considered the costs of waging a legal war (not to mention the time and energy needed), with the costs of a reprint.

That's just my $0.02. But as a fellow small business owner, I felt like I needed to share my thoughts on this.

I have despised Modiano since playing with them at the 2015 WSOP. They are shithole cards by a shithole company.

Kudos for Jason for trying to make up for something out of his control.

Where is the contingency attorney looking to make a name for himself???

Happy to kick in. We've always used poker sized cards. After reading this I really want to try a set up of the jumbo bridge size cards. (seems like this is the preferred size)

I was really torn on this issue..... :unsure:

On one hand I feel like I'm paying twice for cards just because $%&#ano :cautious: screwed up and won't own up to it. (n) :thumbsdown:

On the other hand even though Jason :cool: is ultimately responsible he is a stand up guy and doing the right thing (unlike $%&#ano :cautious: ) and I feel really bad that he is going to be out to reprint all these cards. (y) :thumbsup:

I'm not trying to tell Jason, or any PCF member for that matter, how to spend their money, but the costs of an international legal battle would likely eclipse that of the Kickstarter campaign.

The unfortunate reality of being a small business owner is that you sometimes have to weigh doing what's "right," with what's most practical and cost effective. And while most would agree that taking an Italian card manufacturer to court is the right move here, that course could prove cost prohibitive... even with thousands of dollars in donations. And the outcome of that legal fight would be uncertain at best.

I'm willing to bet that Jason has considered the costs of waging a legal war (not to mention the time and energy needed), with the costs of a reprint.

That's just my $0.02. But as a fellow small business owner, I felt like I needed to share my thoughts on this.

True I was not thinking about it as an international battle. I really hope this will get solved.

I am seeing this just now and I am floored and filled with gratitude! Speechless!

I know how much people were disappointed including me when the issue hit. I knew that it would be a possibility to have to do the reprint elsewhere, but had hoped for some better customer service. I had a lengthy phone conversation with @justsomedude soon after to talk through the issue too. I know it is @upNdown ’s original suggestion, but truly floored by the support to even start this!

Thank you everyone!

Given I bought 30 sets, I will donate $5 per set when the new prints are done. I hope Jason eventually makes more designs and cards, as i was very happy to get these cards when they arrived, but hopefully with a new manufacturer who cares about his business and backs up their print with a guarantee/refund in case they screw up. We use 40-50 sets a year and instead if giving the money to Amazon/Da Vinci, I am happy to be buying great cards from Jason/DESjGN.

The chipping community is a special group of people. I'm glad to be part of this hobby. Good stuff, everybody. (y) :thumbsup:

Oh, and I've bought my last Modiano deck ever. Just sayin'. ;)

Everyone here should send Modiano an email saying they won't be buying their cards anymore nor recommending them to anyone due to the @desjgn cards printing issue and not fixing it. If they have a FB or Twitter page, start posting about it there too.

What's the email?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom