Bridge/Jumbo Index Issue (1 Viewer)

@desjgn Did they say anything about the bent cards I shared photos of? Would be helpful to know before I email them.

@pedrofisk i did not mention this no. If this was an issue like the ink issues then yes absolutely. If there was no ink issue, I would have sent you replacements for those bent cards. Usually I catch those too before shipping, but at the time I think I was just excited to get orders out.

I wrote the email today. Included link to this discussion. In addition to whatever you're sending to Modiano, please keep posting videos and pictures to this thread in case they do decide to check out this forum. It would make it a powerful argument to see lots of evidence in one single place.

Alright, so I shot a video, don't have time to write the email but that will come later today going to Modiano.

Thank you @T_Chan for taking the time and effort to make this video. Any and all responses help and they may still ignore all of the complaints, however it would be very wise not to.

I have setup that I purchased from @CraigT78. Just started looking through the reds, thinking they all look the same. I stop at the first card that seems like it might be different and . . . Queen of Hearts.

That said, I'm not too tore up over it.

Just hot link this thread. They obviously are not worried about any self preservation.

Edit: that was a little tongue in cheek.....a little
@design This is a good suggestion. Could they just look at this thread as more evidence or did you not want them to look here?

@design This is a good suggestion. Could they just look at this thread as more evidence or did you not want them to look here?

@Kyle I do like the suggestion, but whether they take the time to view the thread would be the question, thus a direct email from people with the link here plus their experience with this production run will hopefully get them to reconsider their position of nothing is wrong.

Well I know for sure that if Modiano continues to admit that nothing is wrong that I'm going to boycott their products and spread the word to as many people as possible.

I completely agree. I will even put it in their Amazon reviews, post it on Twitter and make it a part of my signature here and in other places so that Google search picks it up easily and will make it one of the highest ranked items when people search for "Modiano poker or Modiano cards'.

I sent the following this morning:

Dear Modiano:
I recently participated in a Kickstarter campaign for the purchase of some bridge size, jumbo index cards that were produced by your company on behalf of Desjgn, and I need your help with a critical product quality issue.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1404114000/desjgn-100-plastic-playing-cards-classic-baroque

I am a large fan and consumer of Modiano cards at the various games that I travel to play around the country, so I was very pleased when I learned that Modiano would be the producer of these Kickstarter campaign cards. I frequently give Modiano Platinum Acetate setups to those who host poker events, and they spread the good word to their local players after enjoying your cards so much.

Having had excellent experiences with Modiano in the past, I purchased 30+ full setups in the Desjgn Kickstarter project. Unfortunately, the cards that I received from the campaign have color problems on the card backs from the Modiano printing process, rendering them useless in any legitimate gaming establishment. The issue is most pronounced on the decks with the red backs. The color saturation varies so that there are dark and light backed cards, with consistent variation trends between different decks (e.g.., the same cards repeatedly have the light coloration in multiple decks). The light/dark variations are readily visible such that I can reproducibly identify certain cards across the table. As such, these are extremely dangerous to have in circulation, especially with their Modiano provenance. From my setups, I could easily build a Modiano-manufactured deck solely with marked face cards and aces. Due to the poor quality, I will not use these Modiano cards.

The Desjgn company has been proactively managing the problems caused by the Modiano printing discrepancies in their Kickstarter campaign. Through their proactive communications, I was extremely disappointed and shocked to hear that Modiano does not believe there is an issue with these cards. I am writing this email to implore Modiano to do the right thing to correct the issue. Marked cards are worthless to true players, and in some countries/states such an adulterated product would be considered illegal and their use may be interpreted as deliberate fraud by the card owners. I know this is but a small campaign for the large Modiano production enterprise, but we need your help to correct this issue and provide the quality product that merits the Modiano name.

Thank you very much for your help.

Maybe we should hold off on the torches and pitchforks until this is resolved.
I don’t know about the card business. I don’t know if it’s more about the stock or the manufacturer or a combination of both. I don’t know who has produced previous desjgn releases. But I DO know that desjgn cards are damn near perfect for me, from a feel perspective - at least a 9.5 out of 10.

So I’m not piling on to Modiano angrily yet. Hopefully this is resolved satisfactorily and there isn’t a rift created between desjgn and modiano, that will affect future design releases.

Maybe we should hold off on the torches and pitchforks until this is resolved.
I don’t know about the card business. I don’t know if it’s more about the stock or the manufacturer or a combination of both. I don’t know who has produced previous desjgn releases. But I DO know that desjgn cards are damn near perfect for me, from a feel perspective - at least a 9.5 out of 10.

So I’m not piling on to Modiano angrily yet. Hopefully this is resolved satisfactorily and there isn’t a rift created between desjgn and modiano, that will affect future design releases.

Did you miss the part where Modiano said they didn't see an issue with the cards?

E12C96BD-EFF8-420C-97AF-9F9A4DB1B91A.jpeg
9 of Clubs!!

Marked cards are worthless to true players, and in some countries/states such an adulterated product would be considered illegal and their use may be interpreted as deliberate fraud by the card owners.

Not to mention that Modiano runs the risk of being known as a company that produces products the help cheaters cheat...

Pitchforks, here, get your pitchforks here! Step right up!

**I GOT 'EM ALL!**

Traditional
⎯⎯∈

Left Handed
Ǝ---

Fancy
---{

**I EVEN HAVE DISCOUNTED CLEARANCE FORKS!**

33% off!
---F

66% off!
---L

Manufacturer's Defect!
---e

**NEW IN STOCK. DIRECTLY FROM LIECHTENSTEIN.** ***EUROPEAN MODELS!***

The Euro
---€

The Pound
---£

The Lira
---₤

**HAPPY LYNCHING!**

OK, I finally opened mine and found similar defects. As someone who spent the majority of my professional life as a buyer/negotiator, I was glad to compose the following email to Modiano. I've seen this too many times, where the little guy get screwed because it's the easy way out for the big guy. I tried to keep things factual and objective, but I did tell them (in buyer/seller-speak) that I'm done with Modiano and have no interest in a further relationship.

"I recently received two set-ups of cards from Desjgn. I found they had a noticeable difference in color hue on the backs, especially on the red decks. When I contacted Desjgn, they said there were similar complaints, but the manufacturer (Modiano) inspected some of the decks and determined there was no problem. I have attached two photos below and there is clearly a problem in color hue (very noticeable in the B&W photo). The difference is significant, and renders the cards unusable. They are essentially "Marked" cards.

The most surprising fact is that the manufacturer was Modiano, a company with a long history of making superior quality cards. It seems that is no longer true.

Desjgn has offered to refund my purchase, and I declined. The issue here has nothing to do with Desjgn, and everything to do with Modiano.
I have no interest in a refund, or replacement with similar defective cards. Please feel free to contact me if you need further information".

Ben Carr

GetAttachmentThumbnail

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Did you miss the part where Modiano said they didn't see an issue with the cards?
No. I think Desjgn has taken an admirably levelheaded approach to that - try again with more support and more evidence.
It makes a lot more sense to me than declaring war and burning bridges.

Thank you @Potsie1 for your video and taking the time to do it!

For the record, Modiano has not got back to me on my second response either. I do know they are busy with a sizable order so I am cautiously with @upNdown on not raising the pitchforks just yet. If there is no response within a week to anyone, then we’ll go from there. We are approaching the holidays too, so patience—as best as we can muster.

Thank you everyone.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom