Poker Room Name (2 Viewers)

IaHawk

Straight
Tourney Director
Reaction score
I'm in the process of trying to start a regular game and obviously one of the more important things is having a great poker room name! My initial thoughts went straight to something Iowa Hawkeye themed (Hawkeye, Herky, Kinnick, etc). I've also considered something with just my last name as well.

How did you come up with your poker room name?

Last edited:
I don't have a poker room, per se, but I named my "cardroom" (& Donkey Rescue :D) The Acres after the street I live on.

Last names, after kids', wife's, or other important members of your family, neighborhoods, inside jokes, etc. are all good ideas.

Windy Crest Poker Room - I live on Windy Crest Dr. If my street name didn't work, I could have used my Neighborhood name - Forrest Medow Poker Room - or the area - Lake Highlands Poker Room.

Dozer's Big Room...Dozer was the first family dog. Used to call the poker room "The Big Room", it's 22'x24' and far and away the biggest room in my house. There was a couch in it and it was the only piece of furniture that Dozer was allowed on. My wife saw him on it and said "Awwww, this must be Dozer's Big Room..." The name stuck.

I live in a house on Highland st...

Last name of the three main players. Myself, my best friend, and his brother.

Attachments

• 25698AD1-A5EB-468B-A057-A78CF6E96FB5.jpeg
    25698AD1-A5EB-468B-A057-A78CF6E96FB5.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 369
  • 93CABAE1-EAB5-4A68-A032-C9B243E0C154.jpeg
    93CABAE1-EAB5-4A68-A032-C9B243E0C154.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 378
  • 3C83D3AA-2775-44E7-A393-2E32F2669CC8.jpeg
    3C83D3AA-2775-44E7-A393-2E32F2669CC8.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 348
I'm in the process of trying to start a regular game and obviously one of the more important things is having a great poker room name! My initial thoughts went straight to something Iowa Hawkeye themed (Hawkeye, Herky, Kinnick, etc). I've also considered something with just my last name as well.

How did you come up with your poker room name?
...you could name your cardroom "Sparty" ;)

here's what i did.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/the-retreat-at-roswell.21832/

I lived in a picturesque beach community where you couldn't walk 10 feet without seeing a row of palms or hear the ocean crashing blocks away, so The Beach pretty much wrote itself once I got the basic graphic idea on paper.

Now I live in a small valley with not a lot of history, on a street name with no meaning and no theme, I graduated from a private college without a real meaningful mascot or sports team (so my school spirit never really caught), and my family/last name isn't fun or punny so the only option would be "the <name> cardroom". Blah.

Struggling to theme my way around my second set...

I lived in a picturesque beach community where you couldn't walk 10 feet without seeing a row of palms or hear the ocean crashing blocks away, so The Beach pretty much wrote itself once I got the basic graphic idea on paper.

Now I live in a small valley with not a lot of history, on a street name with no meaning and no theme, I graduated from a private college without a real meaningful mascot or sports team (so my school spirit never really caught), and my family/last name isn't fun or punny so the only option would be "the <name> cardroom". Blah.

"Not The Beach Cardroom"

How about something like. Anonymous poker club

Last edited:
Dozer's Big Room...Dozer was the first family dog. Used to call the poker room "The Big Room", it's 22'x24' and far and away the biggest room in my house. There was a couch in it and it was the only piece of furniture that Dozer was allowed on. My wife saw him on it and said "Awwww, this must be Dozer's Big Room..." The name stuck.

There are a bunch of different approaches to take on coming up with a poker room / chip set name, but I find these kinds of stories always result in really cool card room names that mean the most to their players! The Hungry Frog, CU Next Tuesday, The Bee Room, etc. - all great themes that resulted in awesome custom sets.

So @IaHawk one approach is to find a theme that resonates with you and/or your players - college/sport team/hobby or some aspect of your family/social group/location and start there. Or you can keep your setup generic to start, have some games and good times and maybe something pops up down the line that drops a really cool idea for a name in your lap. After years of hosting, I chose a whiskey/bourbon theme for my room as I rarely play cards without a nice glass of spirits accompanying me.

Edit to add my room naming process (mostly cut/paste from my mock up thread)

In coming up with the name for my room, I knew I wanted a whiskey/bourbon theme, and in particular Jack Daniels. I've been a big Jack Daniels drinker since my college days. In our poker group's early years, I always started out the night with a Jack and coke, which typically progressed to Jack on the rocks by the end of the evening. And while my tastes have expanded (I currently have ~30 different bourbons/whiskeys/scotches stocked in the bar), there's always at least a fifth of Jack in the house, and usually a handle (or two).

Last year my father & I made the trip to Lynchburg Tennessee to visit the Jack Daniels distillery. The distillery has dozens of barrel houses on site, and I found them to be really neat buildings - very rustic and almost dingy (especially the outside), but with an interesting, down to earth character that I felt matched the vibe I was trying to re-create in my upcoming basement poker room renovation. The trip fully solidified my desire to go with the barrel house theme for the set.

More info & set mock ups: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/the-barrel-house-new-cpc-tourney-set.37110/

Last edited:
^^ What Irish said....

I got my Idea from the good old days, my Grandfather and family built a MUSIC SHACK in the back yard, and when we had family gatherings they would play and sing and record.. Almost ALL my family either Sings, Plays an instrument, or both.
So my set is "NAME" is based off of that:
The Record dealer button has Arthur O Records on it (grandfathers name). Then , the old mic I played with, Grandfathers Guitar, Cousins drums, and the Family Piano.. My Dad plays the Banjo (High Hand button)

The Music Shack - the $100 plaque has a likeness of it.

^^ What Irish said....

I got my Idea from the good old days, my Grandfather and family built a MUSIC SHACK in the back yard, and when we had family gatherings they would play and sing and record.. Almost ALL my family either Sings, Plays an instrument, or both.
So my set is "NAME" is based off of that:
The Record dealer button has Arthur O Records on it (grandfathers name). Then , the old mic I played with, Grandfathers Guitar, Cousins drums, and the Family Piano.. My Dad plays the Banjo (High Hand button)

The Music Shack - the $100 plaque has a likeness of it.
View attachment 241673
Such a beautiful set too.

great thread! I'm in the same boat, as I'm working on a custom table design and want to incorporate a name/theme on the felt. Don't want to use my street/neighborhood because I won't always live there. I'll be curious to see how other people came up with their names/themes. Great stories so far!

great thread! I'm in the same boat, as I'm working on a custom table design and want to incorporate a name/theme on the felt. Don't want to use my street/neighborhood because I won't always live there. I'll be curious to see how other people came up with their names/themes. Great stories so far!
Piper's Poker Pit has a nice ring to it.

Piper's Poker Pit has a nice ring to it.

Has a nice ring to it, but I'd have to explain to my players that Piper comes from TrivialPiper, and that is a completely random user name created by the Game Spy name-anator.....my wife actually suggested "Snake Bit Poker Pit" because I am always whining about my bad luck......love the ideas though!

I posted this in your other thread already, but realized it was in the wrong thread.

"The Hawk's Nest"
"Black Hawkeye Down"
"Hawker's Heaven"

Animals have been used by mankind as symbols; birds, especially, as symbols of freedom (only they can fly by themselves), power and wisdom.
I live in a city with almost 3 milennia of history, and picked up its ancient holy bird - also a symbol of staying up all night if you can, must, or just like to.:)

Some names I'm considering after a solid 5 hours of brainstorming. :tdown:

The Hawks Nest - thanks for the recommendation @T_Chan
ANF Poker Room - Hawkeyes started wearing ANF (America Needs Farmers) stickers on their helmet during farm crisis in 1980s.
Bent River Poker Room - the section of the Mississippi I live on runs east to west. Borrowed the name from a local brewery. ;)
Kinnick's Poker Room/Cave - Nile Kinnick was Iowa's lone Heisman winner and died at the age of 24 serving in the US Navy during World War II.

From my wordy, verbose, annoying post revealing my custom set on the cheap...

The Free River Club design is basically a local photo tour. And this is part of the process of which I'm most proud, but again, the credit for the pictures goes to the aforementioned Missus JustinInMN.

In my location in Dakota County in the Twin Cities area we are known as "South of the river" because we are separated from the Twin Cities proper and inner suburbs by the Minnesota River. So that and the concept of a "free river" card in poker was the inspiration for the name. The pictures are locations near the Minnesota and Mississippi rivers except for nickel which is just clip art of a walleye. (You can't do a Minnesota themed set without a Walleye. And maybe making them look at a fish is my passive aggressive way to mock my nickel chip players.)

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...d-perils-of-cheap-chipping.29479/#post-546125

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom