Help me finalize the name of my poker room/bar (2 Viewers)

What should I name my poker room?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Benjaminotaur

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Hello! I'm branding my poker room, and I'm looking for help finalizing the name before I take everything to my graphic designer. For the full thread on how we got here, check this out. A huge thanks to everyone who helped guide this process in the other thread!!

The basics:
  • New house has over a dozen oak trees on the lot
  • Poker room is in the basement
  • Supper clubs are a big deal in Wisconsin
  • Logo and name will be used on all items for the room, including signage, barware, custom felt, and (possibly) ((Ok, likely)) custom poker chips

These are the final options of all the possibilities that rolled through. My brain just won't settle on one of these, so I'm hoping you all can provide a little clarity

Last edited:
I'd vote anything that removes supper club from name unless this is an actual supper club restaurant.
Oaks & Aces. Nothing more.
I'd also try and come up with a way to incorporate an acorn and an ace into the logo.

I thought there was another thread and everything was figured out?
That thread was a crowd sourcing and boiling down to the last of the bunch. I would have added a poll to that thread, but it seems you can only do that at the genesis of a thread.

I’ve been bouncing these three options around for a couple weeks and just can’t nail down which sounds best, so I figured polling the room might give it some clarity

I'd vote anything that removes supper club from name unless this is an actual supper club restaurant.
I'd also try and come up with a way to incorporate an acorn and an ace into the logo.
I also like Oaks and Aces but only because I have never actually met a person that calls it Supper.

I voted for ‘Oaks and Aces Supper Club’ because I figured there was a meaning for Supper Club and actually liked that it opened up the option for people to use a shortened name of ‘Oaks and Aces’. “ I’m heading over to the Oaks and Aces”. Think of how often somewhere has a shortened ‘nickname’ vs its full formal name. It almost feels more real and cool to me for ‘Oaks and Aces’ to be a shortened nickname than the actually formal name if that makes any sense!

I'm here all week. Try the veal.

Screen Shot 2024-02-04 at 5.05.34 PM.png

I voted for ‘Oaks and Aces Supper Club’ because I figured there was a meaning for Supper Club and actually liked that it opened up the option for people to use a shortened name of ‘Oaks and Aces’. “ I’m heading over to the Oaks and Aces”. Think of how often somewhere has a shortened ‘nickname’ vs its full formal name. It almost feels more real and cool to me for ‘Oaks and Aces’ to be a shortened nickname than the actually formal name if that makes any sense!

I like “Oaks and Aces”

People will eventually start saying “are you going to Oaks?”

I fully expect that the name will get shortened when being referred to in passing. If the name isn't shortened in the vernacular, that just means it's not the cool place to hang out

The full name will be used on all "Official" items or merch from the establishment. I wouldn't be surprised if the "supper club" portion of the name doesn't make it onto things like the table felt, chips etc. But for anything to do broadly with the establishment as a basement, I expect the full name will find it's way on there, at least for the first few rounds of items

I fully expect that the name will get shortened when being referred to in passing. If the name isn't shortened in the vernacular, that just means it's not the cool place to hang out

The full name will be used on all "Official" items or merch from the establishment. I wouldn't be surprised if the "supper club" portion of the name doesn't make it onto things like the table felt, chips etc. But for anything to do broadly with the establishment as a basement, I expect the full name will find it's way on there, at least for the first few rounds of items
Maybe it is a regional thing I just don't get. Is a Supper club a thing?

I guess no matter what I'm serving. It still would not be on parts with local supper clubs unless I'm not playing only cooking.

Maybe it is a regional thing I just don't get. Is a Supper club a thing?
From Wikipedia:

"A supper club is a traditional dining establishment that also functions as a social club. The term may describe different establishments depending on the region, but in general, supper clubs tend to present themselves as having a high-class image, even if the price is affordable to all. In the 2010s, a newer usage of the term supper club emerged, referring to underground restaurants.[1]

History

The first supper club in the United States was established in Beverly Hills, California, by Milwaukee, Wisconsin native Lawrence Frank.[3] Supper clubs became popular during the 1930s and 1940s, although some establishments that later became supper clubs had previously gained notoriety as prohibition roadhouses.[4]

Traditionally, supper clubs were considered a "destination" where patrons would spend the whole evening, from cocktail hour to nightclub-style entertainment after dinner.[5] Featuring a casual and relaxed atmosphere,[5] they are now usually just restaurants rather than the all-night entertainment destinations of the past.[6]

Typical menu

Supper clubs generally feature simple menus with somewhat limited offerings featuring typical American cuisine.[5] Dishes may include prime rib, steaks, chicken, and fish. An all-you-can-eat Friday night fish fry is particularly common at Wisconsin supper clubs, as are brandy old fashioneds.[6] Relish trays with items such as crackers, carrots, green onions, pickles, radishes, and celery are typically served at the table on lazy Susans.[5]"

From Wikipedia:

"A supper club is a traditional dining establishment that also functions as a social club. The term may describe different establishments depending on the region, but in general, supper clubs tend to present themselves as having a high-class image, even if the price is affordable to all. In the 2010s, a newer usage of the term supper club emerged, referring to underground restaurants.[1]

History

The first supper club in the United States was established in Beverly Hills, California, by Milwaukee, Wisconsin native Lawrence Frank.[3] Supper clubs became popular during the 1930s and 1940s, although some establishments that later became supper clubs had previously gained notoriety as prohibition roadhouses.[4]

Traditionally, supper clubs were considered a "destination" where patrons would spend the whole evening, from cocktail hour to nightclub-style entertainment after dinner.[5] Featuring a casual and relaxed atmosphere,[5] they are now usually just restaurants rather than the all-night entertainment destinations of the past.[6]

Typical menu

Supper clubs generally feature simple menus with somewhat limited offerings featuring typical American cuisine.[5] Dishes may include prime rib, steaks, chicken, and fish. An all-you-can-eat Friday night fish fry is particularly common at Wisconsin supper clubs, as are brandy old fashioneds.[6] Relish trays with items such as crackers, carrots, green onions, pickles, radishes, and celery are typically served at the table on lazy Susans.[5]"
Wow I can't say I have ever seen such a place. I'm intrigued. I'll have to keep an eye out next time I'm up for a Packers game.

Wow I can't say I have ever seen such a place. I'm intrigued. I'll have to keep an eye out next time I'm up for a Packers game.
These or similar versions are hanging all over in shops.
Tons not listed too.
I'd recommend Jim and Lindas in Pipe, WI
Still good but they used to serve a full 7 course meal. After covid it's been like 4-5 courses and individual portions instead of for your whole table.
https://jnjgiftsandmore.com/products/wisconsin-map-wisconsin-supper-club-map

I voted The Oak and Ace Supper Club. I also would drop "The" if possible. I can imagine a single Oak tree with a Spade, or Ace of Spades, superimposed on it... or something like that. Plural names make me think of "Spears & Shields". Definitely better: Spear & Shield.
Good Luck with your project!

I voted "Oaks and Aces Supper Club." I also prefer the singular "Oak and Ace - Supper Club." I would add that I like the idea of maybe having two brandings with "Oak and Ace Supper Club" on your sign, barware, napkins, etc. And then "Oak and Ace - Card Room" for your felt, cards, and chips. But that is doubling your design work.

Oak and Ace
Supper Club

Oak and Ace
Card Room

For me, I named my chips after myself. I have a lazy eye at times… so I called them The Wandering Eye. Find something that relates to you and your guests. I went through many names until I settled.

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 20.18.35.png
PastedGraphic-1.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom