Video Games? (6 Viewers)

I’ve started to expand my daughter’s horizons a bit more by playing couch co op games on my Xbone more often. She desperately wanted to try Fortnite and I agreed, but her first online experience was not fun for her. Player chat came thru on the TV audio and there was just a lot of awful sounds and swearing and calling people names. She got killed quickly, as expected, and the players were just laughing and talking shit about how everyone is trash blah blah blah. Then she got into a match that included a twitch streamer and he was giving running commentary on how everyone sucked and he was sick of this boring game... she looked at me and said “Dad, lets never play this again.” She learned a tough lesson.

So we went back to swapping between Power Rangers, Lego Marvel Superheroes and Avengers, Rayman Legends and Overcooked. Tons of fun.

I’ve started to expand my daughter’s horizons a bit more by playing couch co op games on my Xbone more often. She desperately wanted to try Fortnite and I agreed, but her first online experience was not fun for her. Player chat came thru on the TV audio and there was just a lot of awful sounds and swearing and calling people names. She got killed quickly, as expected, and the players were just laughing and talking shit about how everyone is trash blah blah blah. Then she got into a match that included a twitch streamer and he was giving running commentary on how everyone sucked and he was sick of this boring game... she looked at me and said “Dad, lets never play this again.” She learned a tough lesson.

So we went back to swapping between Power Rangers, Lego Marvel Superheroes and Avengers, Rayman Legends and Overcooked. Tons of fun.

Yeah, that's why I turn off the voice chat and the profanity filter when my kids play Overwatch.....although it's not nearly as toxic as some other games I've played.

Company of Heroes and WoW kept me busy for thousands of hours. Wish I had the time from the good old days haha

Always enjoyed video games growing up and still do well into my 30s!
Atari > NES > SNES > N64 > PC > Xbox 360 > PS4 & Xbox One

Currently catching up on some oldies that went on sale before diving into RDR2.

Horizon Zero Dawn
Titanfall 2

Always been a big Gears of War fan.
PS exclusives I enjoyed were: God of War; The Last of Us; Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted

Was pretty big into COD for awhile and then got series fatigue. I still like Battlefield and play a wide variety of other games: Middle Earth, Witcher, Forza, NBA 2K

Company of Heroes and WoW kept me busy for thousands of hours. Wish I had the time from the good old days haha

Yeah, wish I still had the time for wow too, some great memories and friends were made playing that game.

I used to play the Battlefield Series. Most recently BF 3 and 4. Was ranked in the top 1% in the world for win/loss ratio, mostly played 64-player conquest maps

Then one day punkbuster keeps booting me from servers. For some reason I wound up on a global ban list

I don't use any cheats so tried their appeal process. Wasted weeks of my time back and forth. They couldn't tell me what cheat I was suspected of using, just that my account got flagged and they don't know why,, and said the only way I could play again was to buy the game again on a new account and start over

So fuck EA, fuck punkbuster. Any game using punkbuster will never see a dime from me

Yeah, that's why I turn off the voice chat and the profanity filter when my kids play Overwatch.....although it's not nearly as toxic as some other games I've played.

Honestly, I left them on purposely to expose her to the real experience. Over time I’ll help her build a tolerance to shitheads, hopefully by getting badass enough to shut them up with victories lol I was glad that she heard firsthand how it can be online and esp coming from one of her beloved streamers, Twitchers and YouTubers.

Next time I’ll get online with her and work to show her examples of how awesome teamwork and some people can be, like in the guilds I float through in DCUO. She already built a custom hero there so she’s ready to jump in head first.

She’s loving our co op games though. The other day she celebrated like Jimmy V and ran thru the house when we downed a boss in Power Rangers. I couldn’t stop laughing.

Honestly, I left them on purposely to expose her to the real experience. Over time I’ll help her build a tolerance to shitheads, hopefully by getting badass enough to shut them up with victories lol I was glad that she heard firsthand how it can be online and esp coming from one of her beloved streamers, Twitchers and YouTubers.

Next time I’ll get online with her and work to show her examples of how awesome teamwork and some people can be, like in the guilds I float through in DCUO. She already built a custom hero there so she’s ready to jump in head first.

She’s loving our co op games though. The other day she celebrated like Jimmy V and ran thru the house when we downed a boss in Power Rangers. I couldn’t stop laughing.

Have a list of good suggested coop games that she's enjoyed?

Yeah, thankfully:

Saban’s Power Rangers
Rayman Legends
Unravel/Unravel 2
Lego Marvel SH & SH2
Lego Avengers
Overcooked/Overcooked 2
TMNT
Minecraft
Sonic Mania
Stikbold (Dodgeball)
Rocket League

This is our heavy rotation for Xbox One.
Thanks, I'll give some of these a try!

Thanks, I'll give some of these a try!

We don’t play it together but she’s also been into practicing Injustice 2 since it came out. Its competitive and not co op though. I got her hooked on all things comics from birth, so she loves playing this as Wonder Woman, Flash, Starfire. She gets frustrated at losing and not pulling off complex combos and moves so she puts it down after a few matches.

Seems like a Bethesda cash in game. I prefer my FO experiences in single player, anyhow. A game for 35 just a few weeks after release is a telling sign in itself.

Agreed on all points. I might pick it up at a deep discount if the modding community does anything good with it

Edit: in the mean time the next Bethesda game I’m looking forward to is the next Elder Scrolls, unless they F it up of course

I really tried to like Bethesda games, but just can't. Initially they grab me because there's lots of exploration to do, what's over that next hill or what's in that far-off building.

But eventually that wonder wears thin and I find their games to be relatively shallow. I never care about the characters, factions, story, etc. in their game worlds. Whether that was Fallout 3 and 4, or Elder Scrolls or Skyrim.

The only fallout I finished was New Vegas, but that wasn't Bethesda involved with it. So I just steer clear of their games now. Picked up 5 games on Steam sales for an average of $6 each:

zafehouse.jpg

Neat little indie game with some fun customizations. You control a group of up to five survivors during a zombie apocalypse. Each have their own skills, weaknesses and even prejudices (i.e. sometimes your cast of characters will dislike one another based on race, age, sex, orientation, education level or socioeconomic status). What I'm finding fun is you can upload pictures and use those and custom design your own characters, so I put myself, my wife and some friends in there, makes you care a bit more about their survival.

space tyrant.jpg

You play the bad guy in space trying to lord it over others. Haven't played this one yet but looks like it'll be less time-consuming than a lot of the grand strategy games I usually get absorbed in.

plague.jpg

Instead of trying to stop a plague from spreading you're trying to be the plague that infects the world before humans can stop you.

gauntlet.jpg

Elf needs food...….badly! Loved the arcade game in my childhood so figured for about 5-6 bucks I'd give it a shot

monster.png

This is the one I'm most excited about, seems like a fun concept. Has that 1950's/1960's space-age throwback feel to it. You're either the monster trying to wipe out all the people without being discovered and stopped or you play a person trying to stop the monster.

The "I'm not a monster" is certainly the one that has me most interested as a unique game I haven't really seen before. But so far I've only installed Zafehouse Diaries 2

I play a bunch. Obviously love the Farcry series lol. Recently I just finished the Spiderman game, which was absolutely stellar. (the DLC's are pretty good too) I just started RDR2, I'm not very far, maybe 2-3 hours into it, but excited to be able to get deep into er. Mostly into zombies games, the Dying Light ones are great and am REALLY looking forward to Days Gone (Which seems to keep getting pushed back and pushed back ugh). I play NHL quite a bit too. I don't have a lot of free time lately, but when I do, chilling on the couch gaming out is one of my happy places.

Just picked up Mortal Kombat XL yesterday for $5.

The above sentence describes me perfectly.

I don’t think anyone but Boon truly knows what they’re doing in today’s fighting game market. After Injustice and MK games, I can’t play anything else anymore... ok ok, maybe Smash Bros. Occasionally.

I just picked up KOTOR 1 which takes me back. If you like RPGs and Star Wars this game is awesome. The game is old so graphics are weak but the game and story are really fun. I haven't enjoyed a game this much in years.

Anyone playing Apex Legends (PC)?

My brother has been insisting that I try out Apex Legends. Anyone's guess as to whether I'll be able to get it up and running on my Linux machine, though.

I just picked up KOTOR 1 which takes me back. If you like RPGs and Star Wars this game is awesome. The game is old so graphics are weak but the game and story are really fun. I haven't enjoyed a game this much in years.

KOTOR 1 and 2 are amazing! I played them back in the day for hours and hours. Sold my original Xbox but I've always kept my old games so last year I went out and bought another old Xbox so I could play them again.

Anyone play Battletech and or Mechwarrior? Battletech has been great for the couple hundred hours I put into it. Looking forward to MW5 Mercs coming out in September of this year.

Anyone play Battletech and or Mechwarrior? Battletech has been great for the couple hundred hours I put into it. Looking forward to MW5 Mercs coming out in September of this year.

my friend from junior high is the project manager for mechwarrior online and mechwarrior 5. I can't recall ever playing anything after the first mechwarrior game way back in like the late 90s or something.

KOTOR 1 and 2 are amazing! I played them back in the day for hours and hours. Sold my original Xbox but I've always kept my old games so last year I went out and bought another old Xbox so I could play them again.

KOTOR 1 and 2 for the OG Xbox are playable on XB1 thanks to backward compatibility. I'm about to dust off my copies and play them again. :wow:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom