Mixed Games? Help with blinds/antes/limits (2 Viewers)

This is a good point, for the new games (especially the new stud games) I’m definitely going to be playing fixed limits. PROBABLY going to start at .50/1 limit for studs games so it’ll stay reasonably small while we adjust to it which seems about in line for our $50 max buy in. May bump it to 1/2 limit if it’s playing too small
From my experience, this is a good plan.

We used to play .25/.25 no limit. We moved to .50/1 fixed limit, and since then have moved to 1/2 fixed limit. Players bring $60 for the night (about 5 hours). We do a forced rotation:

1000003068.png

Honestly $60 is cutting it close for the night (although no one has had to rebuy yet). If we introduce split pot/circus games I should probably cut back to .75/1.50 fixed limit.

Note my bet cap is 3 not 4.

From my experience, this is a good plan.

We used to play .25/.25 no limit. We moved to .50/1 fixed limit, and since then have moved to 1/2 fixed limit. Players bring $60 for the night (about 5 hours). We do a forced rotation:

View attachment 1257612

Honestly $60 is cutting it close for the night (although no one has had to rebuy yet). If we introduce split pot/circus games I should probably cut back to .75/1.50 fixed limit.

Note my bet cap is 3 not 4.

You're only missing 7Stud HL8 to complete the HORSE! (or HOSER in Canada)

Thinking of maybe adding more game so we have 4 new games to choose from including our usual nlhe. Right now I’m planning on crazy pineapple, 5 stud, and low chicago
Would other option would y’all choose from either plo, Omaha hi/lo, plo8, or 7 stud hl8?
I’ve played plo but but the others would be new to me as well

On another note forgive my general noobness: what is horse?

Thinking of maybe adding more game so we have 4 new games to choose from including our usual nlhe. Right now I’m planning on crazy pineapple, 5 stud, and low chicago
Would other option would y’all choose from either plo, Omaha hi/lo, plo8, or 7 stud hl8?

Based on what you have said about your group...

Omaha hl8 > 7 stud hl8 >>> plo >>>>>>>>> plo8.

Plo8 will bust newbs quickly and cause hard feelings. Plo8 players should be really experienced with limit o8 first.

HORSE:
Hold 'Em
Omaha
Razz
7-Card Stud Hi
7-Card Stud 8orbetter ("eight" lol)

I like dealers choice round of each. So if I pick it, everyone deals 7 card stud, then when it gets to the guy to my left again they pick a game. This allows people to get used to a game instead of having to explain new rules every hand. Repetition helps shore up understanding.
I did it where we had a list of games, and each player picked one, wrote it down and put it in a box. We would pick one out and played a round of it.

I did it where we had a list of games, and each player picked one, wrote it down and put it in a box. We would pick one out and played a round of it.
That’s another idea, I feel like something interactive is cool. This past game was a bit of a mess, no one really looked at the game cards I sent them in advance and the guys “who have played stud games before” were completely lost. Gonna have to ease in to the mixed games slowly with this group I guess. Crazy pineapple was a hit though we played lots of that so it’s a start I guess.

Recently moved and started a new game here. We do $100 buy-in. $75 of that is for a dealer's choice style game with either .50/1.00 blinds, or a .50 ante depending on which game gets called. $1-$3 spread betting. Players can reload as much as they like. We do that for about three hours and then cash everyone out.

Then we start a single table NLHE freezeout tournament with the remaining $25 from the buy-in. Of that $20 goes into the pot for the top three, the remaining $5 is a bounty on each player. Once players get eliminated from the tournament they can call it a night or stick around to watch.

Evening usually goes 5-6 hours. Seems to be a good time so far. We get to play a wide variety of games with betting that doesn't hammer people too much if they are going bad. And then the tournament lets people throw chips around and get some no limit style action. Winning players aren't going to get rich, but can leave with some money and nobody gets beat down too hard in losses.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom