Breaking the NLHE habit (1 Viewer)

mconn116

Pair
Reaction score
Been hosting games for around 6 months now averaging 1-2 games/month, it’s been a blast and a great excuse to hang out with friends and family but I really want to introduce more games. Right now it’s almost exclusively nlhe, last game the guys enjoyed crazy pineapple and everyone seems open to plo. My issue is when I try to introduce stud games or split pot games it goes off the rails. I’m introducing double board bomb pots at the next game which I’m hoping will open their minds up more to the idea of split pots. I’d love to be able to play some more stud games, low chicago is one I’d like to have in the rotation, and some circus games. What was the gateway drug for your group to get some new games in rotation?

My crew was very much poker=holdem. Crazy pineapple was the gateway drug for my group. Three handed Holdem is a good next step. If they can play Omaha then you have a lot of variants to work with.

Stud is fine but it complicates the betting structure. Been dealing it the last couple sessions and people are going along.

Split pot is it's own animal though. I'm currently in the process of teaching them what a low is so we can start playing PLO8 etc. I don't love razz but I've been calling that one a lot lately!

I’m pretty much strictly a holdem player. I know holdem and feel like I have an edge over most other players. Most mixed games seem to involve more chance considering more variables added. That made me uncomfortable as I felt I lost my edge. The guys I play with now are just okay at holdem. They asked if wanted to play Omaha. I told them I don’t like Omaha. Mostly bc I’m just not as comfortable since I have to pay more attention and consider a lot more. But I played since I’m not the host. I win. I win every night they wanna play mixed games. I realized that they wanted to play other games,not because they were good at them, just wanted something different. And my knowledge of holdem was enough to still have an edge in Omaha variants and other mixed games. While I still like holdem especially for tournaments, I don’t mind some mixed games. Just do a rotation of holdem, then rotation of something else, then come back to holdem. If your players really don’t want to play or don’t understand the game they can fold one rotation. I bet them put their money in though. Fomo

Why you should play mixed games
"Can we pay something besides Holdem?"
"Why?"
"SO I can maybe win a fooking hand."

The nice thing is after a while certain games become favorites for some players.

"These guys love ImPLOcean."

I dig mixed games! I'm an old guy, that's what we always played forever until NLHE was on TV all the time. It's all poker, just different ways to play.
New guy at the game
"I'm a gambler I love poker "
Same guy Sees it's a mixed game
"Oh I only play real poker."
Us-
colin-farrell-in-bruges.gif

Introduced pineapple the last time we got together and it ended up being a favorite from the group. Need to try some of these other suggestions!

SOHE and imPLOcean sound like good ones to try, crazy SOHE definitely sounds cool. Different enough from standard NLHE to get some variety but not so different they’ll “shun the non believer”

Our NLHE game has two small blinds 25¢ and a big blind 50¢.
Our stud games are $2/$4 with a 25¢ ante and 50¢ bring in.
You play 2/4 stud games, what’s your usual buy in? The few hands of stud games we’ve played have been .50/1 limit we do a 20-50 max buy with most buying in around 30-40.

You play 2/4 stud games, what’s your usual buy in? The few hands of stud games we’ve played have been .50/1 limit we do a 20-50 max buy with most buying in around 30-40.
I buy in for $250 some folks buy in for anywhere between $60-$301. No cap on max cause no one is buying in for $1000 or anything like that.

Ok so .50/1 limit seems about on par for my game. EVENTUALLY I’m hoping to be able to get these guys hooked on stud. I may stop pushing it so hard for the time being and just get them used to other flop games

So as of now I know the group likes NLHE, crazy pineapple, and PLO (they weren’t interested in limit omaha so I settled for plo)

Thinking a decent rotation for this next game is
-NLHE
-Crazy pineapple (or maybe ludicrous pineapple that looks fun too)
-PLO
-And then trying to decide between showmaha/dra2maha/SOHE/Crazy SOHE/imPLOcean

With some double board NLHE bomb pots mixed in

Best eat to get them playing new games is for them to win a bunch of hands.
I became a fan of double board ImPLOcean because of this stack .
PXL_20231230_055158104.jpg

I always see my stack grow playing low Chicago too. Weird that I then like that game!!

Best eat to get them playing new games is for them to win a bunch of hands.
I became a fan of double board ImPLOcean because of this stack .
View attachment 1279904

I always see my stack grow playing low Chicago too. Weird that I then like that game!!
So slow play them till they get hooked, then hustle the hell out of them… I like this plan

Drop the crazy and go with lazy. Never discard. Keep all 3 even into the river. But Holdem rules, you can play 0-1-2.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom