Mix game ideas? (2 Viewers)

AcesUp907

Pair
Reaction score
Hi, I’m putting together a weekly game and was hoping to get some ideas for games. I’d like to add some new or different variations of games. We play mostly $3/5 pot limit…Some Of the complaints are that the pots get too big. I want to throttle the game a little by making it some type of spread limit or limit. Games that I’ve messed a little with are super stud (start with 5 cards, throw away 2), dramaha (or other variations), Badugi…goal is to add quality games that won’t put people to sleep but won’t break the game after 1 hand. Please share recommendations of games and ideas. Thanks

The normal rotation of games include:
Currently all pot limit…$3/5 or $5/10
Probably the top 4 games played
Big-O
Omaha double board
PLO5
Omaha
then we have these as well
87 - 7 card Stud (dealt 4 cards, throw one away)
Shuck 2 - 6 card Stud (option to change 2)
Omaha h/l
Pineapple h/l (after the flop)

3/5 PL is a big big game. Omaha variants at the same blinds as hold em tend to play 1.5-2x bigger.

I just recently got a custom set of chips with a $2 chip so I can run 6/12. Which plays closer to what a normal 1/2 NLHE with a 300 cap would be like one terms of nightly swings.

Dare I ask how much is on the table at the end of the night?
typical buy-in is $500-1000, at the end of the night there could be 10-40k.
We play with a kill variation which can make it $20-100 just to come in.
Pots on a normal night can range from $100-$2000+ biggest pots getting pushed could reach 20k
Id prefer the pots stay around $1k...

typical buy-in is $500-1000, at the end of the night there could be 10-40k.
We play with a kill variation which can make it $20-100 just to come in.
Pots on a normal night can range from $100-$2000+ biggest pots getting pushed could reach 20k
Id prefer the pots stay around $1k...

Please please tell me that you have customized, secure chips for this game.

bomb pots every 30 minute -- either 5$ or 10$ to start

nit game / stand up game --- loser pays out 5$ to everyone if you're the last one standing up or have a nit token. You get to sit when you win a pot and you show your hand to the table. you can win by bluffing or showdown best hand but to sit down , you have to win and show your hand to entire table. if you forget, you do not sit.

button game - i forget the variation rules lol

I've found that this is the biggest reason games get bigger than expected. I play in a 1/3 uncapped NL game. When it first started people bought in for 300-500. Now, the main table is pretty much 1k minimum. Straddled every hand to $10-20.

Capping buy ins and capping straddles is the best way to keep a game "under control." Especially a pot limit game.

I plan to limit straddles/kills
Looking for suggestions on a spread limit or limit structure. tried a $10-$50 spread on Super Stud, pots were still hitting $1k-1.5...which was reasonable.

Also, tell me some good games to add guys!

And of course I’m custom chips

Last edited:
Instead of playing 50 different games, maybe reduce the rounds to 4 games, so it doesn't get so confusing.

Here is what would I play:

Big O Big Ez
5 Card PLO
Derailment
Route 66

I have been running (or trying to) a traditional game mix called SORBET

Seven Card Stud
Omaha HiLo 8oB
Razz
Badugi
Stud HiLo 8oB
2-7 Triple Draw

It's a fun and functional acronym and it achieves two desired results:
1. Seperates the stud and blind games (avoid the Stud/Stud8/Razz confusion)
2. Eliminates Limit Holdem

For limit games my next personal favourite alternatives to those above are:
Archie
Drawmaha
Drawmaha 49
Drawmaha 2-7
Omadugi / Drawmadugi (Name changes depending on who you ask but it's split pot Omaha High and Badugi, could make it Highdugi if you want)
Badeucey
Razzdugi / Razzdeucey

Big Bet Games I don't really play but am a fan of:
PL 2-7 TD
PL Drawmaha
PL Badugi
NL 5CD
NL 2-7 TD

I also had a desire to play PL 5 Card Stud at one point but the game is an absolute action killer.

A favorite among my crew is 2or5 w/draw.

Five card Omaha, but you can play the five in the mitt. Draw after the flop bet then send the turn. We play it pot limit.

A favorite among my crew is 2or5 w/draw.

Five card Omaha, but you can play the five in the mitt. Draw after the flop bet then send the turn. We play it pot limit.
So it's single pot to the best 5 card poker hand EITHER from 2 hole + 3 community OR from 5 hole?

So it's single pot to the best 5 card poker hand EITHER from 2 hole + 3 community OR from 5 hole?

Yes. It often ends up with the Omaha hands playing...and everyone going to the turn got to draw. Sometimes your hole hand hits and that ends up playing. The lower the Omaha nuts, the more dicey it gets cause you have no idea what's under everyone's hand.

The worst I saw was a paired board, nut boat lost to four queens in the mitt. Ouch!

Can be played hi/lo but we haven't done that. I'm still teaching my crew what a low is.

Group I play with gets alot of enjoyment out of PLO5. We move the limits down to keep the game on the rails for these rounds as some complained the PLO5 pots were getting to large.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom