Cash Game Critique this Cash Game set up (2 Viewers)

I do dealers choice with .50/.50 on big bet. I go with .50 ante, $1 bring in $2/$4 fixed limit when stud mixes in. It feels comparable, if not a little small, but our big bet games have a reputation for playing larger than the stakes would suggest. $100 max and it's rare we don't crack $2k in play 6-8 handed.

We don’t ever get close to that amount in play. Usually around $700-$800 on the table. This makes me think the $1/2 limits would be appropriate for us.

That does seem like it plays on the big side, but I know there are a few hosted by PCFers that play on the big side like that. That said $200 swings in $2/4 limit aren't that ridiculous either so that still seems bigger.

IDK you might be right, stud games don't get called all that much though. So at least for my game it's hard to know if a whole night of 2/4 stud would really comport to a whole night of .50/50 NLHE/PLO and their variants.

Just going off typical pot sizes, the stud pots tend to be in the $40-$100 range with outliers up to $200-ish, and the big bet pots tend to be in the $10-$200 range with outliers up to $600-ish. Mind you I don't actually track this I'm just guessing off memory but this sounds about right.

We don’t ever get close to that amount in play. Usually around $700-$800 on the table. This makes me think the $1/2 limits would be appropriate for us.

Knowing that, I would agree. The idea of introducing a kill sounds like a good way to test the waters if you're not sure.

I know it’s not the traditional way stud is played but what about playing 1/2/4 limits? Only change is for stud games have the final betting round be $4. Has this been done?

I do dealers choice with .50/.50 on big bet. I go with .50 ante, $1 bring in $2/$4 fixed limit when stud mixes in. It feels comparable, if not a little small, but our big bet games have a reputation for playing larger than the stakes would suggest. $100 max and it's rare we don't crack $2k in play 6-8 handed.
Wait.

You have 6-8 players and you have 12+ rebuys a night? :wow:

Wait.

You have 6-8 players and you have 12+ rebuys a night? :wow:

Yes.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised on the math here, too. Unless $100 max is the initial buy in with higher add on or matching stack or something.

Nope I keep it fixed at $100 all night generally speaking. But the game often runs 10+ hours.

It's usually the same 4 or 5 of us degens who account for most of this.

So we played over the weekend and had one round of 7 Card Stud which we did the $1/$2 betting limits. We have previously played Stud as pot limit but it felt like it played too big. The $1/$2 felt too small and the fixed limit aspect was not something the players were used to at all.

So we will need to go to a $2/$4 betting limit or another thing I though of is go back to pot limit but make a "max invested per street rule" of $10. So it is essentially pot limit with a maximum of a $10 per betting round. Which, for our group a $10 limit keeps bluffs in play. So worst case is a guy could lose $50.25 ($10 per round as well as the .25 ante) in a single hand (very unlikely for that to happen) I feel it keeps everything more simple/uniform across all games for people that have never played fixed limit before.

Any thoughts on this?

I'm kind of surprised your group thought 1/2 was too small with what you've said was usually on the table at your games, to be honest. With an initial $50 buyin, we played 1/2 Stud8 for a while Saturday night and after the groaning of me calling it (heh) our group was surprised how big the pots got.

I'm kind of surprised your group thought 1/2 was too small with what you've said was usually on the table at your games, to be honest.
Me too. But pot limit stud before was a more exciting game in the rotation and this time was kind of "meh".

One guy picked 5 Card Stud to see what it was like and we all went with it. It was awful. We already banned it from the list.

Not a fan of pot/no limit stud, but whatever keeps your folks happy, I guess.

Still makes no sense to me.

I just don't see stud as a PL or spread limit game (I guess depending on the spread). There's a lot of streets of betting, and on one hand I get how it can feel small at first. But it really can build if people are 3 betting.

Last edited:
I just don't see stud as a PL or spread limit game (I guess depending on the spread). There's a lot of streets of betting, and on one hand I get how it can feel small at first. But it really can build if people are 3 betting.
FWIW, they were definitely playing pot-limit stud at the "golf pro" game in "Rounders."

If you are doing 25c/50c pot-limit and 2/4 fixed-limit games, I'd go with 50c/50c or 50c/$1 for no-limit games to keep the pots sizes a bit more uniform. Most pot-limit game pots can get huge (mostly because players bet 'pot' instead of actually thinking about proper bet sizing).

And ditch the bomb pots.

If you are doing 25c/50c pot-limit and 2/4 fixed-limit games, I'd go with 50c/50c or 50c/$1 for no-limit games to keep the pots sizes a bit more uniform. Most pot-limit game pots can get huge (mostly because players bet 'pot' instead of actually thinking about proper bet sizing).

And ditch the bomb pots.

This game was at a friends house and he has kept cash game blinds at .25/.25. When I host I plan on .25/.50. Different player pools as I live an hour away and I feel they play close enough together. On this particular night we played a tournament before the cash game. So cash only allowed for a few rounds before it was time to head home. We were 9 handed at the start of the cash game. We played the following.

PLO --- .25-.25
Hold'em .25-.25 (boo the man that called this)
Crazy Pineapple .25-.25
5 Card Stud- (.25 ante - .25 Bring in- $1/$2)(don't recommend as mentioned earlier)
2-7 Single Draw .50-$1 with Raise to open rule (this felt like the perfect amount for this game)
7 Card Stud .25 ante - .25 Bring in- $1/$2 (were down to 8 handed by this point)

In between each game was holdem bomb pots for $1 ante.

Then the night was over.

Overall, a really fun night. Just felt like 7 Card Stud was a bit too tame. Certainly worth another try at it at 1/2 to see if it feels any different.

I can take or leave the bomb pots. Players all seem to like it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom