Cash Game Critique this Cash Game set up (2 Viewers)

rjbf65

Two Pair
Reaction score
I am wanting to host a cash game in the near future and I want it to be a mixed game. Dealers choice but I'd like to have Flop, Stud, and Draw games in the mix. Also a mix of no limit, pot limit, and fixed limit. Also would like to have bomb pots involved. Below is what I came up with. Please provide feedback.

I feel the list below allows for enough variety while still being simple enough to play.

My main questions are as follows.

Are the bomb pots too frequent?

Are the betting limits appropriate across all betting types?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Dealers Choice with the following game options.

No Limit Games .25-.50 blinds
Texas Hold’em
Pineapple
Crazy Pineapple
2-7 Single Draw (this would be played $1-$2 blinds due to fewer betting rounds)

Pot Limit Games .25-.50 blinds
Omaha
Omaha Hi/Lo

Fixed Limit Games $2-$4 betting limits - Capped at 4 bets
$1-$2 blinds for 2-7TD
$1 ante with $1 bring in for stud games
7 Card Stud
7 Card Stud Hi/Lo
Razz
2-7 Triple Draw

Dealer chooses the game and plays that game for one orbit. Once the deal comes back to that same player we then play a “bomb pot”. This is a $1 ante from every player and the dealer can choose between Texas Hold’em (no limit) OR Double Board Omaha (pot limit).

Then the next dealer chooses the game for the next orbit from the list above.

Buy in is $40 minimum - $100 maximum initially. Can add on anytime between hands to a maximum of matching the biggest stack on the table.

Random Draw for seating upon arrival.

we do bomb pots every 30 mins, which is usually every 15 hands or so, which works for us.

you'd typically want a bomb pot to be 4 to 5 x the blinds, they should be 2 USD and that rate is fine on the bomb pots

for .25/.5 stakes I would just play all of the No Limit games as PL games, it plays fine.

Looks pretty good. I wouldn't do a $1 ante from everyone for stud though. Your pot will have so much money in it that everyone will be calling early. Consider a button ante of $1-$2.

Bomb pots would annoy me by limiting the games I'm picking from. There's already a lot of variety, I don't see the bomb pots adding much to the game, feels gimmicky.

It's only for the bomb pot. You still get to pick any of the other games after that hand. At least that's how I'm reading it.

It's only for the bomb pot. You still get to pick any of the other games after that hand. At least that's how I'm reading it.

Correct. I guess I could allow for Pineapple in the bomb pot as well.

My main reason for the bomb pot hitting when it does is it gives every single player the same exact amount of hands at each position in every game.

Correct. I guess I could allow for Pineapple in the bomb pot as well.

My main reason for the bomb pot hitting when it does is it gives every single player the same exact amount of hands at each position in every game.
Probably an unpopular opinion, but you could just cut the bomb pots and skip the original dealer's 2nd deal right? So everyone deals one hand of whatever was chosen and then choice of game (and first deal) passes to the next person.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but you could just cut the bomb pots and skip the original dealer's 2nd deal right? So everyone deals one hand of whatever was chosen and then choice of game (and first deal) passes to the next person.

Either that or just have the game switch each time it gets to a certain dealer. Just have the next guy in line pick what the game is.

I don't see any issues with the game choices or stakes, assuming people are comfortable with the games. Other than the $1 ante that has already been pointed out.

Couple of thoughts. I'm planning a mixed game night myself, and our NL stakes are typically 25c/25c or 25c/50c as well, tend to play big. I'm going to do all limit games, 1/2, but with 2/4 kill pots. In my mind it balances the stakes a bit, it isn't getting uncomfortably large for people not used to some of the games, but still provides action.

I'd say consider throwing in Big O as well. It's extremely fun, though potentially tilting. I'd say make it a limit game as to not break any bankrolls on a high variance game.

All looks good, wish I could join!

I don't see any issues with the game choices or stakes, assuming people are comfortable with the games. Other than the $1 ante that has already been pointed out.

Couple of thoughts. I'm planning a mixed game night myself, and our NL stakes are typically 25c/25c or 25c/50c as well, tend to play big. I'm going to do all limit games, 1/2, but with 2/4 kill pots. In my mind it balances the stakes a bit, it isn't getting uncomfortably large for people not used to some of the games, but still provides action.

I'd say consider throwing in Big O as well. It's extremely fun, though potentially tilting. I'd say make it a limit game as to not break any bankrolls on a high variance game.

All looks good, wish I could join!

I thought about 1/2 instead of 2/4. I even considered 1.50/3 but that doesn't roll off the tongue.

I'd be fine with Big O played as Fixed Limit. Could have both Big O and Big O hi/lo.

One question I have with 2-7 Lowball games. In an effort to not run out of cards would it be ok to have a rule that the first person to enter the pot must come in for a raise? Looking to not have many family pots.

I thought about 1/2 instead of 2/4. I even considered 1.50/3 but that doesn't roll off the tongue.

I'd be fine with Big O played as Fixed Limit. Could have both Big O and Big O hi/lo.

One question I have with 2-7 Lowball games. In an effort to not run out of cards would it be ok to have a rule that the first person to enter the pot must come in for a raise? Looking to not have many family pots.
How many players do you anticipate having? For the stud variants and triple draw games, limiting the number of seats combats a lot of that. Usually you'd see 7-max. If you're doing full ring 9 or 10, it could potentially be an issue.

I haven't run into it myself, but my first instinct wouldn't be to have a forced raise. Make sure the mucked cards from previous rounds are in a separate pile, deal down to the last card, then shuffle the previous rounds' cards into a new deck. If you're finding a ton of limps and constantly having to do this, then I'd say cut triple draw from the lineup for the remainder of the night and either implement a different bet structure or limit seating for the next time.

How many players do you anticipate having? For the stud variants and triple draw games, limiting the number of seats combats a lot of that. Usually you'd see 7-max. If you're doing full ring 9 or 10, it could potentially be an issue.

I haven't run into it myself, but my first instinct wouldn't be to have a forced raise. Make sure the mucked cards from previous rounds are in a separate pile, deal down to the last card, then shuffle the previous rounds' cards into a new deck. If you're finding a ton of limps and constantly having to do this, then I'd say cut triple draw from the lineup for the remainder of the night and either implement a different bet structure or limit seating for the next time.

I think it would range from 6 to 9 players. According to Tina's cards the 2-7 Single Draw is 8 players Max and says "raise to open". 2-7 Triple Draw is a 6 player max but does not mention raise to open.

I think it would range from 6 to 9 players. According to Tina's cards the 2-7 Single Draw is 8 players Max and says "raise to open". 2-7 Triple Draw is a 6 player max but does not mention raise to open.
Gotcha, I've never seen the raise to open before. Well, you probably know the crew you'll have better. Of you're worried about too many people in the hands based on this grouping, then can't hurt to implement or maybe even bring it up ahead of time, get a little poll of sorts.

I'm so used to seeing "Tina" on the forums. Of course I meant to say "Abby's cards".

Updated based on some suggestions that were presented.

Dealers Choice with the following game options.

Texas Hold’em
Pineapple
Crazy Pineapple
2-7 Single Draw (this would be played $1-$2 blinds due to fewer betting rounds - must raise to open)

Omaha
Omaha Hi/Lo

$1-$2 blinds for 2-7TD
$.25 ante with $1 bring in for stud games
7 Card Stud
7 Card Stud Hi/Lo
Razz
2-7 Triple Draw (6 Max)

Dealer chooses the game and plays that game for one orbit. Once the deal comes back to that same player we then play a “bomb pot”. This is a $1 ante from every player and the dealer can choose between Texas Hold’em (no limit), Crazy Pineapple (no Limit), or Double Board Omaha (pot limit).

Then the next dealer chooses the game for the next orbit from the list above.

Buy in is $40 minimum - $100 maximum initially. Can add on anytime between hands to a maximum of matching the biggest stack on the table.

Random Draw for seating upon arrival.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Additional thoughts...

I would like to try a game out before adding Big O to the mix. I feel like the 10 options I have already are pretty good variety.

Triple Draw is supposed to be a 6 max game. If we happened to have 7 guys and a guy really wants to play it, I would allow it, just have the dealer sit out of each hand. (Same would go for Single Draw if we had 9 guys)

I'd print off Abby's cards for these 10 games to help the guys remember the game being played.

To me a night full of mixed games like this sounds like a blast.

So you're having each dealer deal an entire orbit instead of one hand.

I like that.

I like that.
That's really how dealer's choice should work, you don't want to change the game every hand. Even if you don't have dealer's choice and it's a rotation, it makes sense to do it once per orbit. In mixed games tournaments they change it every 7 hands, which is effectively one orbit before eliminations cause tables to get smaller.

That's really how dealer's choice should work, you don't want to change the game every hand. Even if you don't have dealer's choice and it's a rotation, it makes sense to do it once per orbit. In mixed games tournaments they change it every 7 hands, which is effectively one orbit before eliminations cause tables to get smaller.
Yeah, we don't play dealer's choice but are about to start since we're getting burned out on NLHE. Just never thought of having the person deal the entire orbit. Just was planning on having everybody dealing but the dealer button determines who's next to call the game each orbit.

I like the orbit deal better.

I like that.

The dealer changes each hand, but the game played is the same for one full orbit around the table. I'm not a fan of a new game each hand.

For my mixed game night I'm going to just deal every hand myself and move the button. 3-4 of my players will be newer to the games (they've all played them with me, but never for any real stakes) and I want to make sure the hands, the betting, the pot, etc are correct.

For my mixed game night I'm going to just deal every hand myself and move the button. 3-4 of my players will be newer to the games (they've all played them with me, but never for any real stakes) and I want to make sure the hands, the betting, the pot, etc are correct.
I deal our monthly game. It's just easier since a lot of the players are new to the games and the betting limits can be a bit tricky for new folks. I wrote up cards that explain the betting and use index cards to display the game and place the stack with the current game on top in front of the player that called it so we can keep track.

I deal our monthly game. It's just easier since a lot of the players are new to the games and the betting limits can be a bit tricky for new folks. I wrote up cards that explain the betting and use index cards to display the game and place the stack with the current game on top in front of the player that called it so we can keep track.
That is exactly my plan. I wrote up my own quick reference guides that I could put on cardstock, but I might just use the Abby cards that OP mentioned and throw in any thing to clarify if needed. And whatever the current game is will be put in front of the dealer when game changed.

I'm doing HORSE + random game. So after a run of horse, I'll let dealer hit a randomizer to pick a 6th game from a list of 11 (including the HORSE games, so one could repeat). I think this ensures the odd draw games or the huge variance Big O games don't play too often, but at least they should see an orbit.

Edit: at some point I'll do pure dealer's choice, but knowing my group the majority are just picking regular Omaha, one guy likes regular Stud a bit, and only myself and one other are even going to consider alternatives.

Dealer chooses the game and plays that game for one orbit. Once the deal comes back to that same player we then play a “bomb pot”. This is a $1 ante from every player and the dealer can choose between Texas Hold’em (no limit) OR Double Board Omaha (pot limit).
I think this is a great idea for making sure players learn from repetition and a decent frequency for introducing bomb pots.

Texas Hold’em
Pineapple
Crazy Pineapple
2-7 Single Draw (this would be played $1-$2 blinds due to fewer betting rounds)

Omaha
Omaha Hi/Lo

$1-$2 blinds for 2-7TD
$1 ante with $1 bring in for stud games
7 Card Stud
7 Card Stud Hi/Lo
Razz
2-7 Triple Draw
This is a good list, but I think some of your stakes changes are too drastic. Playing 2-7 Single draw with 1-2 blinds is a quadrupling of the stake. Even with only two rounds, I don't think you need to change the stakes at all, but if you do, at most double to 50¢-1 or this game will play way bigger than anything else on your list.

This is a little steep, IMO.

I would do .25 ante, .50 bring-in, 1/2

edit: Nevermind...I see you're running 2/4, so .25 ante (or dealer antes for all) 1 bring-in.

Great point. Could also do .25 from each if needed.
I think you got the right advice on the stake for Stud games. I am +1 for $1/$2 limit with 25¢ ante and 50¢ bring-in for stud games, and just 50¢-1 blinds for button games. That stake is more analogous to 25¢-50¢ blind big bet games.

I wouldn't have a problem with this rule, but either way, you should only be dealing 6 players in for draw games at the most either way. If you have more than 6 players, players that are the left of the big blind have to rotate sitting out.

This sounds like a great idea for a game, I hope it goes over well.

I think this is a great idea for making sure players learn from repetition and a decent frequency for introducing bomb pots.

This is a good list, but I think some of your stakes changes are too drastic. Playing 2-7 Single draw with 1-2 blinds is a quadrupling of the stake. Even with only two rounds, I don't think you need to change the stakes at all, but if you do, at most double to 50¢-1 or this game will play way bigger than anything else on your list.

I think you got the right advice on the stake for Stud games. I am +1 for $1/$2 limit with 25¢ ante and 50¢ bring-in for stud games, and just 50¢-1 blinds for button games. That stake is more analogous to 25¢-50¢ blind big bet games.

I wouldn't have a problem with this rule, but either way, you should only be dealing 6 players in for draw games at the most either way. If you have more than 6 players, players that are the left of the big blind have to rotate sitting out.

This sounds like a great idea for a game, I hope it goes over well.

Appreciate the response. I'd rather start too small than too big on these. So I can change the 2-7SD to .50-1 and go up from there if needed. The Stud Limits are the hardest to decide on. 1/2 seems too small, 2/4 may seem too large, 1.50/3 seems odd. I saw a suggestion for a 1/2 limit with at 2/4 kill - this might be the right speed for us.

Appreciate the response. I'd rather start too small than too big on these. So I can change the 2-7SD to .50-1 and go up from there if needed.
Honestly, I don't think it will matter much if you just keep it 25¢-50¢ if you prefer to start small. Even if it's only a two round game.

The Stud Limits are the hardest to decide on. 1/2 seems too small, 2/4 may seem too large, 1.50/3 seems odd. I saw a suggestion for a 1/2 limit with at 2/4 kill - this might be the right speed for us.
I think 1/2 will play a little bigger than you think. $100 represents 50 big bets, and those sorts of swings in stud are fairly normal. (Especially with 3 big bet streets.) I imagine $100 swings are in the upper bound for your 25¢ -50¢ NL game too. Your mileage may vary of course, but the difference between 1/2 and 2/4 limits are huge. 1.50/3 might be ideal, but honestly, tough to do unless you have 50¢ chips.

As for kill pots, you would have to figure out a trigger for each form and also decide what happens if the kill is triggered in the last hand before the game change too. Kill pots are a neat way to juice the stakes on occasion, but there's a lot to consider.

The Stud Limits are the hardest to decide on. 1/2 seems too small, 2/4 may seem too large, 1.50/3 seems odd. I saw a suggestion for a 1/2 limit with at 2/4 kill - this might be the right speed for us.

I do dealers choice with .50/.50 on big bet. I go with .50 ante, $1 bring in $2/$4 fixed limit when stud mixes in. It feels comparable, if not a little small, but our big bet games have a reputation for playing larger than the stakes would suggest. $100 max and it's rare we don't crack $2k in play 6-8 handed.

I do dealers choice with .50/.50 on big bet. I go with .50 ante, $1 bring in $2/$4 fixed limit when stud mixes in. It feels comparable, but our big bet games have a reputation for playing larger than the stakes would suggest. $100 max and it's rare we don't crack $2k in play 6-8 handed.
That does seem like it plays on the big side, but I know there are a few hosted by PCFers that play on the big side like that. That said $200 swings in $2/4 limit aren't that ridiculous either so that still seems bigger.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom