Cash Game Thoughts on raising stakes? (2 Viewers)

The women in the home cash and tourney games I play in are GOOD. I find they are constantly underestimated and they are winning at a higher frequency than their seat percentage indicates.
I keep telling my wife how good she’d do if she decided to actually play somewhat regularly, good luck getting a read on her

My wife and another's wife are more hesitant to jump in, but they play and understand how to play. I don't recommend trying limit games to involve novices or those who aren't as keen to participate. It does not simplify the game unless they've literally never even seen a poker hand before, if anything it gets complicated. I love introducing different games, but that's definitely for people either more experienced or more on board/quick learners.

Limit isn't for teaching people the rules or how to play. It makes for slower losing sessions and cheaper hands means more showdowns. A casual player who only wants to re-buy once can be busted twice in an hour, and they may barely drag a pot or two in that time. Playing limit people can only lose so quickly, and may feel more engaged since they can play more hands without having to call big preflop raises. Had a new player last game (knew the rules, but hasn't played except with family/friends when younger) who busted out calling an all-in preflop with QTs at 170bb effective vs AA and JJ. They had a good time but would've definitely stuck around longer if it was a limit game. I find calling station types like limit, because it lets them play how they want to without risking a ton. On the other hand, aggressive players hate not being able to apply as much pressure.

That being said, limit is boring as hell if you're only playing Hold 'Em, but I think it's a fine way to introduce people so they don't punt all their chips in one or two hands and get discouraged.

Limit isn't for teaching people the rules or how to play. It makes for slower losing sessions and cheaper hands means more showdowns. A casual player who only wants to re-buy once can be busted twice in an hour, and they may barely drag a pot or two in that time. Playing limit people can only lose so quickly, and may feel more engaged since they can play more hands without having to call big preflop raises. Had a new player last game (knew the rules, but hasn't played except with family/friends when younger) who busted out calling an all-in preflop with QTs at 170bb effective vs AA and JJ. They had a good time but would've definitely stuck around longer if it was a limit game. I find calling station types like limit, because it lets them play how they want to without risking a ton. On the other hand, aggressive players hate not being able to apply as much pressure.

That being said, limit is boring as hell if you're only playing Hold 'Em, but I think it's a fine way to introduce people so they don't punt all their chips in one or two hands and get discouraged.
Maybe just agree to disagree, but calling stations in limit will lose just as much in potentially the same amount of time as no limit, unless you keep the stakes wildly low. $20 in 30 mins is the same whether it happens all in one hand or in 10.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom