Basement Poker Room & Home Theater (5 Viewers)

By any chance are those decorative swords "Narsil" and "Anduril" from WETA?

Yep. the swords are replicas from the Lord of the Rings movies, I have 5 altogether and 3 currently on display. The sword of the Witch-King and Anduril (Narsil re-forged):
20190423_045336.jpg

And Glamdring (the sword Gandalf finds in the Troll cave in the Hobbit):

20190423_045314.jpg

I have two smaller swords - Sting (Bilbo & Frodo's sword) and the Witch King's Morgul blade, still debating whether or not to mount those with the others. I also have a parchment map of Middle Earth that I ordered from a shop in New Zealand, I'm in the process of making a frame for that, then it'll go on display between the two larger swords on the wall behind the poker table.

I'm a huge LOTR fan, have read the books several times and we have all the extended editions of the movies. I have a custom hot stamped t-mold set with LOTR inspired stamps (some close-up of Glamdring here as well): https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/tolkien-lotr-inspired-t-mold-hot-stamps.17993/

Last edited:
Well done sir! :tup: fantastic work all around. As I read that last of your posting, I said out loud "Of course he made his own cabinet doors" :D

Details on the humidor? Did you seal it up at all, line with Spanish Cedar? Or is it just a cabinet that you'll humidify?

Well done sir! :tup: fantastic work all around. As I read that last of your posting, I said out loud "Of course he made his own cabinet doors" :D

Details on the humidor? Did you seal it up at all, line with Spanish Cedar? Or is it just a cabinet that you'll humidify?

lol, had to make the doors, the cabinets were all custom sizes, so I needed custom sized doors to match..... ;)

The humidor is basically just a suedo-sealed base cabinet. I use good hardwood plywood for the cabinet framing, sealed all the inside joints with caulk, then lined the interior with spanish cedar veneer. The door is just a regular oak framed cabinet door with an acrylic panel (caulked to seal), and I'm going to install foam weatherstrip around the perimeter of the face frame to help seal the door when closed (I also put a lock on the door to help keep it closed nice and tight). Humidification will be an Avallo Accumonitor system, and I'm planning on building a couple of shelves for box storage and a singles tray, all on drawer slides. I'll make sure to post pics when I get there, but that probably won't happen until over the summer, I need a break :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

20190201_225751.jpg

Right around the time I finished up major construction on the room last year, life got super busy, so I had to put the last 3 pieces of this project on hold for a while. I was finally able to put the finishing touches on one of those pieces today - my LOTR display. Built a custom frame for a map of Middle Earth to compliment the replica swords & daggers:

20200117_223508.jpg

20200117_223539.jpg

20200117_223443.jpg

I'm hoping to get started on the humidor innards this weekend. Felt really good making sawdust again, its been way to long. :)

Dude man..... this build is epic. Hats off to you!! Cant wait to see it in person!!!! Beautiful work!!!

I'm hoping to get started on the humidor
What are you planning? Wine-a-dor? If not, what will you do for humidification? Can't wait to see pics of the build!! Love me some stogies!

Right around the time I finished up major construction on the room last year, life got super busy, so I had to put the last 3 pieces of this project on hold for a while. I was finally able to put the finishing touches on one of those pieces today - my LOTR display. Built a custom frame for a map of Middle Earth to compliment the replica swords & daggers:

View attachment 394142
View attachment 394141
View attachment 394143

I'm hoping to get started on the humidor innards this weekend. Felt really good making sawdust again, its been way to long. :)
This is amazing! I missed this all before. Did you mention where the swords were produced?

Need to get Josh over to the meetup and see if Sting also glows in the presence of trolls...

What are you planning? Wine-a-dor? If not, what will you do for humidification? Can't wait to see pics of the build!! Love me some stogies!

It'll be a sealed cabinet with a few pullout trays/drawers, and I bought an Avallo Accumonitor for humidification.

This is amazing! I missed this all before. Did you mention where the swords were produced?

Swords were made by United Cutlery / US steel. Most were purchased years ago when the original trilogy came out.

Started on the humidor shelves today. I'm planning on one large singles tray and two shelves for boxes, all on slides to make it easier to get things in/out as well as give me access to the humidifier canisters. Humidor innards will be made from Spanish cedar:

20200119_131945.jpg

While I enjoy the bigger projects, I really love these smaller builds, especially where I get to use nearly all my major woodworking tools. Needed the table saw, miter saw, router table, drill press, dust collector and also got to get out my scroll saw!

20200119_152405.jpg

20200119_161506.jpg

Started with the singles tray, dry fit prior to final scroll saw and sanding:

20200119_154008.jpg

And all glued up:

20200119_165839.jpg

Made a little more progress today. Here's the base cabinet for the humidor. It's constructed of oak plywood like the rest of the cabinets, but for the humidor I caulked all the joints to help seal it, then veneered the inside with spanish cedar.

20200119_190543.jpg

The wire in the back is the power for the humidification system (installed that back when I built the bar so I wouldn't have to take everything out later). Instead of trying to get cute with the humidor cabinet and maximize space, I built is the same way as the rest of the bar cabinets, so the face frames overlap the cabinet by about an inch. So.... in order to install drawers/shelves on slides, I had to attach the slides to spanish cedar blocks so they'd clear the door frames (and hinges). Not ideal as the drawers/shelves won't be the full width of the cabinet like you see in nice high end humidors, but good enough for me. :LOL: :laugh:

Blocks & slides installed:

20200119_205603.jpg

And singles tray installed (I still need to create some movable partitions for the tray):

20200120_204509.jpg
20200120_204520.jpg
20200120_204437.jpg

I hoping to finish up the two bottom shelves for the boxes and install the humidification system this weekend.

I built the two bottom shelves for the humidor today, almost done!

Ripped a straight edge on the spanish cedar planks and cut everything down to size

20200125_122703.jpg

Dry fit for the shelf frame and planks
20200125_122911.jpg

20200125_123031.jpg

Gluing up
20200125_123959.jpg

And clamped
20200125_124803.jpg

20200125_130114.jpg

While those dried, I got the slide supports prepped and installed
20200125_132313.jpg

20200125_133501.jpg

20200125_135231.jpg

Next was installing the humidification system. I went with an avallo accumoniter based on several recommendations at one of the cigar forums I lurk on. The system has two canisters for distilled water with fans, two secondary circulation fans that kick in when the canister fans turn on to help keep the whole cabinet uniform, and a humidity sensor that all feed into the main display/control unit. I velcro'd all the components in place to make them easy to adjust and maintain and then wired it all up

20200125_160130.jpg

I spaced the top singles tray with a bit of clear space over top to allow for some air flow, the circulation fans seem to line up really well so hopefully the cabinet won't have any damp spots.

20200125_160215.jpg

Also installed some weather stripping around the door to help keep the cabinet sealed.

20200125_165039.jpg

Once the shelf frames were dry, glued on the slats

20200125_163411.jpg

I'm going to let the glue dry overnight on these, so hopefully this will be all done tomorrow. :tup:

View attachment 394142
View attachment 394141
View attachment 394143

I didn’t know I needed this until now.

Finished up this morning! Took the glued up shelves and attached the slides:

20200126_085733.jpg

20200126_093013.jpg

Then loaded them into the cabinet:

20200126_093614.jpg

20200126_093712.jpg

Just squeaked this by door hinge.

20200126_093649.jpg

And done! Loaded up the humidification canisters and started the system up. I'll probably wait a few days for all the spanish cedar to acclimate to the humidity, then calibrate the humidification system and add in all my sticks. This cabinet should almost double my overall capacity, so it's time to order more!

20200126_093742.jpg

20200126_133313.jpg

This marks completion of all the projects I have planned for the room, though I have one more related side project to tackle next month, but that's going in the laundry area.

View attachment 398192
View attachment 398194

View attachment 398193
View attachment 398196

View attachment 398195

And done! Loaded up the humidification canisters and started the system up. I'll probably wait a few days for all the spanish cedar to acclimate to the humidity, then calibrate the humidification system and add in all my sticks. This cabinet should almost double my overall capacity, so it's time to order more!

View attachment 398191

View attachment 398197

This marks completion of all the projects I have planned for the room, though I have one more related side project to tackle next month, but that's going in the laundry area.
THAT. IS. BEAUTIFUL.

View attachment 398192
View attachment 398194

View attachment 398193
View attachment 398196

View attachment 398195

View attachment 398191

View attachment 398197

Does not get much nicer than that...I had to deduct points for the Mets trash can. :LOL: :laugh:

Seriously so impressive. I might have to make the drive down JUST to see this incredible piece. Beautiful!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom