Basement Poker Room & Home Theater

boltonguy

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I live in MA and mine runs all the time - it is built in to the kegerator. I do get condensation but only during the summer; and there can be a bit but I just wipe with a bar towel once a day. This time of year condensation is zero as there is no humidity. Do you have experience with condensation that causes your concern?

Irish

Flush
Reaction score
I live in MA and mine runs all the time - it is built in to the kegerator. I do get condensation but only during the summer; and there can be a bit but I just wipe with a bar towel once a day. This time of year condensation is zero as there is no humidity. Do you have experience with condensation that causes your concern?
It's in the basement and in the summer it does get a little humid down there (I typically run a dehumidifier in the summer). The tower is sitting on a finished wood base, a little condensation would be OK, I just didn't want it running down and collecting on the wood in fears it would leave water marks, like a glass without a coaster.

CraigT78

Full House
Reaction score
There's a keg tower chiller on Amazon, I've been looking through the questions/reviews and it looks like some folks keep the fanning running 24/7, others turn in on before a party and chill it just before use. It also looks like they make a cover for the tower to help insulate it better and prevent the condensation issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Coldtower-Kegerator-Upgraded-MAXIMUM-cooling/dp/B00OZPJ9X0?pd_rd_w=MmUig&pf_rd_p=125a0326-ad5d-4104-b232-c142fce71642&pf_rd_r=KTN8TREGFJWW1KZ1TA98&pd_rd_r=1145ba4c-4b3d-46e2-ba7c-f37cef9b2810&pd_rd_wg=oiPGo&ref_=pd_gw_simh
I drink a beer from the keg almost once a day - that's why I keep it running 24/7. It also keeps the temp in the fridge more stable, as air is moving across cold plate. I could see those who drink less often only turning on when needed - but for a party, beers flow and I wouldn't see a need to keep the shanks cold, if people are always pouring. The waste would be minimal.

Old State

Straight
Reaction score
@Irish
The set up looks great! The only thing that worries me is that you put the tap tower in off center of the kegerator you made. I understand why you did it (I assume so you can see the chips) but you are now married to making your own kegerator out of a fridge. If I saw that identical fridge somewhere real cheap I’d be tempted to buy and extra to keep incase. Hopefully it will run for a long time for you.
Based on the bad reviews of my kegerator (that I got new for free) I only expected a few years, but it’s still trucking ...knock on wood. Even though I built in a feature to allow ventilation I always worry about it since it wasn’t designed for in cabinet install.

Irish

Flush
Reaction score
@Irish
The set up looks great! The only thing that worries me is that you put the tap tower in off center of the kegerator you made. I understand why you did it (I assume so you can see the chips) but you are now married to making your own kegerator out of a fridge. If I saw that identical fridge somewhere real cheap I’d be tempted to buy and extra to keep incase. Hopefully it will run for a long time for you.
Based on the bad reviews of my kegerator (that I got new for free) I only expected a few years, but it’s still trucking ...knock on wood. Even though I built in a feature to allow ventilation I always worry about it since it wasn’t designed for in cabinet install.
Yeah, that's a risk you run in general when building a setup like this with the tower mounted to the counter top. I made the floor to underside clearance a little larger than typical to account for a slightly larger refrigerator in the future. These Danby units have been around for a while, my first kegerator 10+ years ago was a similar model. I have no illusions that these last 10-20 years, but I think I've sized everything big enough to accommodate a slightly different sized unit. The key to these converted mini-fridges is finding a unit with no cooling or electric lines in the top, so you can drill just about anywhere. Given how popular home brewing has become, I'm hoping there's always something available :) And if not, worse case is I have to insulate the beer lines instead of utilizing the PVC to bridge the gap.

Edit to add - the tap was located based on proximity to the sink, to make the drain line as short as possible, and I maximize the open counter space to the left of the sink & tap. And it worked out nearly perfectly with regards to lining up with the chip displays, that was by pure dumb luck :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Old State

Straight
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a risk you run in general when building a setup like this with the tower mounted to the counter top. I made the floor to underside clearance a little larger than typical to account for a slightly larger refrigerator in the future. These Danby units have been around for a while, my first kegerator 10+ years ago was a similar model. I have no illusions that these last 10-20 years, but I think I've sized everything big enough to accommodate a slightly different sized unit. The key to these converted mini-fridges is finding a unit with no cooling or electric lines in the top, so you can drill just about anywhere. Given how popular home brewing has become, I'm hoping there's always something available :) And if not, worse case is I have to insulate the beer lines instead of utilizing the PVC to bridge the gap.

Edit to add - the tap was located based on proximity to the sink, to make the drain line as short as possible, and I maximize the open counter space to the left of the sink & tap. And it worked out nearly perfectly with regards to lining up with the chip displays, that was by pure dumb luck :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Sounds like you should be future proofed.

BTW, I had too many turns to get running water to the front bar. I would LOVE to have a drip tray that drained. If I ever move and build a new bar I will have one. That and a glass washer to wash cocktail shakers;)

Top Bottom