Things You Collect Besides Poker Chips (2 Viewers)

Nuhockey

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious what other things people collect besides Poker Chips on here.

For me my largest collection is of Movies. 4K, Blu-Rays, and DVD’s. All genres -Action, Drama, Sports Movies, Comedies, Rom Coms, Chick Flicks, Horror, Superhero, Martial Arts, Concerts, Documentaries on sports or History or anything. I have 1622 physical movies. Some might be on discs that have multiple movies and some I might have on DVD and Upgraded to 4K or Blu-Ray. A lot of Garage sales, Goodwill/Thrift Store buys, and eBay deals. I’ve owned a DVD player since 1997. My next biggest things non poker probably would be Funko POP! I might have 70 of them. Mostly just 80s and 90s movies, Tv, and WWE. Just things that Funko made I love that bring back great memories.

I thought it would be fun for people to show the one or two things they collect the most besides Poker related stuff. Things like Guitars, Hot Wheels, Sports Cards, Sports Jerseys, Antique Guns, liquor, classic Books, arcade machines, etc… So let’s see what you collect and it could be anything.

Pic where most of my movies are stored.
903D6D61-7247-4DDF-9808-67DFAF171E86.jpeg

Last edited:
I inherited a lot of cool stuff from my uncles... I have a lot of marbles that they mustve collected in the 60s and 70s. Those beautiful glass ones... various sizes! Doubt if they are worth anything.

I have collected lots of stuff over the years, but hoarders is making me second guess my "collecting hobbies".... I keep thinking about that guy from season 2 of hoarders with all the empty beer cans in his garage "I built this garage to store all my beer cans"

@Nuhockey
I have many other collections gathering dust at my parents place, however I really do not know how to research all the worth if there is any.

In addition to the marbles, I inherited those tiny toy cars from my uncles... the older they are the heavier and more awesome they feel... not sure the name, but they are small cars and I am certain they must be worth something!

Also, many sports cards from the 80s and 90s as well as stamps and coins lots of coins.... oh and sports jerseys...

I collect playing cards, Funko pops, bourbon, posters, movie props/memorabilia, and of course....poker chips.

I’d also like to get into collecting EDC items such as pocket knives, watches, and such. I may have a problem. Either way, I live the chase of a collection!

Hockey cards and knives are the only other things I collect really, though if financial resources and space were not a consideration there would be a number of things I could get into collecting.

I don't really collect coins, but I do have at least 1 penny from every year starting in 1900 and going all the way through until 2012 when they stopped making them in Canada.

i had quite a collection in the 80s-90s but as i got older i out grew them and had a massive war in my back war with gas and firecrackers. needless to say the scorched earth battle was amazing. i have since then come to my senses and have started reacquiring the joes via kijiji and yard sales. good times lol

@Quicksilver-75

Hockey cards and knives are the only other things I collect really, though if financial resources and space were not a consideration there would be a number of things I could get into collecting.

I don't really collect coins, but I do have at least 1 penny from every year starting in 1900 and going all the way through until 2012 when they stopped making them in Canada.
Now that I think of it, here in the northern USA, it's been years since I got a Canadian penny in my change, and I used to get them quite consistently. Wish we would quit making everything except quarters here, and turn all dollars into coins. Send all the $2 bills to strip clubs.

I collect board games, because like poker chips, I can actually use them for something. I've had some coins, some sports cards, some stamps, but none of those have stuck around.

Long before poker chips and still to this day, animation art. Specifically, the drawings and cels used during the production process.

It probably started during a family trip to San Francisco when I was still in high school. We were in Ghiradelli Square and I saw in the window of a small shop an original production piece from Pinocchio where he is being turned into a real boy. I vaguely remember there was a visible price tag from the window and the sum seemed extraordinary to me at the time (maybe $10k... I don't recall for sure). I had no idea that any of this stuff existed let alone was available for sale.

Fast forward a few years and a Warner Bros. store opened in the local mall and in the back corner they had a small gallery that exhibited and sold pieces from WB cartoons. After too long, it started:

PatB.jpeg

My first piece from 1995, and the only limited edition piece I have. Everything else is production used.

Goliath.jpeg

A more recent purchase but from the same production era as Pinky and The Brain above.

T+J.jpeg

A drawing for a new title card when Tom and Jerry started being produced in CinemaScope in 1955 or 1956. The screen shot below it is from one of the cartoons. Tom and Jerry is still one of my all-time favorites as there is little dialog and there's nothing like some good old fashioned cartoon violence to brighten the day (a frying pan to the face will always be funny).

GtD.jpeg

Gertie the Dinosaur. A long time Holy Grail I was able to add to the collection in 2013... a year before the 100th anniversary of the short. I first saw a Gertie drawing at the now closed Museum of the Moving Image in London, England in 1998. It was the first thing you saw when entering their section on animation and I was stunned. I knew of Gertie, but didn't think any of the drawings still existed.

This is interesting as it wasn't used as we think of a cartoon today but rather a piece used in a vaudeville act by the artist, Winsor McKay. He would have used this as the finale, stating to the audience that he had the "world's only trained dinosaurus" and would start the film while he would interact with it asking her to do tricks, scolding her when she was bad and even throwing her an apple as a treat. He would end by walking behind the screen as an animated version of himself would appear on screen, be picked up by Gertie and placed on her back, and walk off the screen. In 1914, I can imagine this just blew people's minds.

Probably 7000 drawings were made for the film (a version of the film cut and edited to be a standalone without McKay states 10,000, but more recent studies state the lower number is more likely). Most of the drawings were lost in a warehouse fire leaving around 400 still in existence.

Gertie was a landmark as many of the techniques used today were invented by McKay. Index marks so the images wouldn't drift all over the screen, loops so a repeating scene doesn't have to be re-drawn multiple times (note the "3 nod" at the bottom here... in this particular scene Gertie nods three times when McKay would have asked her if she would be good), translucent paper to make copying the backgound easier so it doesn't drift. Definitely not the first cartoon, and debatable if Gertie was the first cartoon character (probably not, but certainly the first to be billed as the "star"), but incredibly influential in the history of animation.

These are just the ones at my office. I have some others framed at home and plenty others that are desperately needing to get framed. Betty Boop, Private SNAFU, 1950s Tom and Jerry model sheet, Ren and Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Pink Panther, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, others I'm sure I'm forgetting as I'm typing this.

They are simply a lot of fun and occasionally a good conversation starter if someone hasn't seen them before or, like I was in the past, unaware these were even things that people could own.

(Unfortunately, almost all animation being made today is done digitally. Artists and animators are still drawing, but there isn't a physical thing that's being made. There might be special prints made of iconic scenes or drawings, but at some point they are like the Pinky and the Brain above where multiple copies can be made and sold, but the actual item that was used in that 1/24 of a second of screen time doesn't exist.)

Apologies for the reflections. I have things framed in museum glass to protect the art but also because it's much less reflective. The stuff I got already framed doesn't have that (yet!), and is a beast to try to photograph.

What's with all the sports cards being so collectible again? I read that Target is pulling the sports cards off the main floor and having them behind Customer Service because people are fighting over them. I know in the 80s as a kid sports cards were hot and more than half the kids I knew collected them. Then sometimes in the 2000s it died down and a lot of Baseball Card Shops closed. But I read they are really collectable again.

I've slowly been acquiring cooking and drink paraphernalia to improve my home cooking and bartending experience.

I had three chess sets. I gave one to my boy. I would like to add another couple to the rotation. I can't find any that I "love" that are also within my budget.

Intentional collections:

-- Books about tennis. More than 1,000, and the domain tennisbooks.com.
-- Mezzotints and lithographs by Robert Kipniss, ~40 pieces.
-- Antique Pairpoint (MA) blown and cut glass, ~50.
-- Antique clear glass salts (small dishes and tiny spoons), ~500.

Accidental accumulations:

-- Modern art, by artists like Jim Buckels, Eng Tay, Miro, Dali, Chagall, ~20.
-- Pool cues, ~35.
-- Old tennis racquets, wood, steel, and aluminum, ~25.
-- Griswold "large cross" cast iron pans, ~12.
-- Kitchen knives, ~50.
-- Cookbooks, ~300.
-- Wine, ~600 bottles, +/- one per day, - three on Sundays (at pickleball).
-- Single-malt Scotch and other after-dinner drinks, ~110.

For me..
Pint/Beer glasses. Have between 100-150 or so now. Always looking for more. I'll take a picture one day.

I need to get more of the "snifter" style glasses, as they work better for the beers I enjoy. I used to try to only get ones from places i've been, but some of the artwork on glasses is really awesome and I order them. Lots of bars in the area used to host "pint nights".. buy that brewery's beer and get a free glass.

Collection is worth $0, but I love 'em.

Not sure if you are into other Beer related items, but there is a service now called "Shirts on Tap", and each month you can get a shirt from a brewery. for a few extra $, they will include all of the stickers and coupons for some of them. I believe Texas is one of the main locations. Of course, if interested, let me know and I'll send over a referral code ;-)

Not sure if you are into other Beer related items, but there is a service now called "Shirts on Tap", and each month you can get a shirt from a brewery. for a few extra $, they will include all of the stickers and coupons for some of them. I believe Texas is one of the main locations. Of course, if interested, let me know and I'll send over a referral code ;-)
I saw an ad for that. Do they carry "Large Man" sizes? Please PM me the code, I also buy beer shirts.

NHL & CHL jerseys, patches and pucks. Chips used to be way cheaper. :LOL: :laugh:
Hi Steve I belong to FB group Game Worn Hockey Jerseys where people sell and buy/trade game worn hockey jerseys. I really don’t collect them, but there was a Jersey I wanted one time and I joined the group.

What's with all the sports cards being so collectible again? I read that Target is pulling the sports cards off the main floor and having them behind Customer Service because people are fighting over them. I know in the 80s as a kid sports cards were hot and more than half the kids I knew collected them. Then sometimes in the 2000s it died down and a lot of Baseball Card Shops closed. But I read they are really collectable again.
In the 80s and 90s, they printed too many cards, and there were zero lottery type cards with super rarity. Now the industry basically prints lottery tickets disguised as sports cards. Open the right pack you might find $10 grand.

Hey @Nuhockey can I borrow some movies? ;)

Over the years, I've been doing a better job of 'controlling' my collecting tendencies. I used to collect dice from my RPG days and still have a couple sets. But other than that, and foreign currency when I travel, that's about it.

... until I found this site...

I guess you could say jerseys. More specifically Detroit Red Wings (and Wings related jerseys). I have around 20 Wings jerseys and other ones like Yzerman Team Canada, Datsyuk team Russia, a bunch of them signed, etc. I have a Datsyuk AK Bars Kazan one on the way I’m pretty stoked for.
NBA collection is growing too, probably have 15+ now, everything from Shawn Kemp, to Steve Nash to Will Smith’s Bel-air academy lol.
9C53E8F3-08F7-4D6D-9F71-E787840A4CAA.jpeg

Hey @Nuhockey can I borrow some movies? ;)

Over the years, I've been doing a better job of 'controlling' my collecting tendencies. I used to collect dice from my RPG days and still have a couple sets. But other than that, and foreign currency when I travel, that's about it.

... until I found this site...
Hi Radius Scout sure.

I have this app for my phone called MyMovies it is great it lets me Scan the Bardcode on each of my movies and Catalogs them. Then I can request PDF reports sent to my Email.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom