Things You Collect Besides Poker Chips (1 Viewer)

For over 20 years I've been collecting live audio and video recordings of Pink Floyd, mostly unofficial audience recordings dating back to 1967 when the band started. I also try to restore some of these audience recordings. There's a community of us, much like here, that is devoted to the band. The website is called Yeeshkul!

For over 20 years I've been collecting live audio and video recordings of Pink Floyd, mostly unofficial audience recordings dating back to 1967 when the band started. I also try to restore some of these audience recordings. There's a community of us, much like here, that is devoted to the band. The website is called Yeeshkul!
That’s awesome- I’ll have to check that site out. I love Floyd!! I have the 180g remastered versions of Meddle & Animals, the rest are versions I bought in the 80’s or CD. The new pressings are far superior to my copies from the 80’s. (80’s vinyl kinda sucks, but they are making good vinyl again now). I’m slowing re-buying my collection on the new pressings.

Live audience recordings sounds awesome - looking forward to checking out the site.

Thanks for posting!

That’s awesome- I’ll have to check that site out. I love Floyd!! I have the 180g remastered versions of Meddle & Animals, the rest are versions I bought in the 80’s or CD. The new pressings are far superior to my copies from the 80’s. (80’s vinyl kinda sucks, but they are making good vinyl again now). I’m slowing re-buying my collection on the new pressings.

Live audience recordings sounds awesome - looking forward to checking out the site.

Thanks for posting!
Sure, check it out. Lots of knowledgeable members. The live recordings are such a great insight into how the band developed over time because they played their material live and perfected it on the road before they recorded it in the studio. Don't expect SBD quality sound as these were audience recordings, but many are extremely listenable. If not for these people lugging around big Reel to Reel recorders and such, these performances would be lost to the sands of time and exist only in memory. They are important documents to be sure. The early version of The Dark Side of the Moon (known as the working title Eclipse: A Piece for Assorted Lunatics) is fascinating. First performed in the winter of '72 you can chronicle how the piece developed. Much different than the official album. Same goes for Shine On and some Animals tracks which are very very different when first performed in 1974.

Just be aware that downloads are in the form of torrents, and in a file format called FLAC, so you should know familiarize yourself with these things and how they work. I'll leave it at that, I don't want to get banned for boring people to death lol. If you need help feel free to PM me :)

Sure, check it out. Lots of knowledgeable members. The live recordings are such a great insight into how the band developed over time because they played their material live and perfected it on the road before they recorded it in the studio. Don't expect SBD quality sound as these were audience recordings, but many are extremely listenable. If not for these people lugging around big Reel to Reel recorders and such, these performances would be lost to the sands of time and exist only in memory. They are important documents to be sure. The early version of The Dark Side of the Moon (known as the working title Eclipse: A Piece for Assorted Lunatics) is fascinating. First performed in the winter of '72 you can chronicle how the piece developed. Much different than the official album. Same goes for Shine On and some Animals tracks which are very very different when first performed in 1974.

Just be aware that downloads are in the form of torrents, and in a file format called FLAC, so you should know familiarize yourself with these things and how they work. I'll leave it at that, I don't want to get banned for boring people to death lol. If you need help feel free to PM me :)
Very Cool - I will check it out for sure! It’s sounds super interesting. I just hooked up a steamer this is year - lol. So will need to research digital audio files a bit for sure.

I collect sports cards too. My card collection far outpaces my chip collection though.

I had no idea you were a fellow Pink Floyd fan. While I don’t collect the unofficial audience recordings like you do, I’ve been collecting Pink Floyd related things for over 2 decades as well. My absolute prized possession from the collection is the original master of “Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict” from the album Ummagumma.

I had no idea you were a fellow Pink Floyd fan. While I don’t collect the unofficial audience recordings like you do, I’ve been collecting Pink Floyd related things for over 2 decades as well. My absolute prized possession from the collection is the original master of “Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict” from the album Ummagumma.
Whoa, really? I assume that's on a Reel to Reel, right? That's a nice piece right there. One of Rogers more interesting compositions.

Yep, kind of a Floyd nut. My main interest has been collecting and cataloging every live performance, either audience, TV, Radio, soundoard etc, both audio and video. Solo careers as well. I've recorded a couple Gilmour shows and about 7 Roger Waters shows. What other pieces do you have? You wouldn't happen to have a pristine 35mm Cinemascope 4-track magnetic striped print of Live at Pompeii, would you??? Say yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Scotch, champagne, cognac, Michelin stars, hyperinflation and world currency, Swarovski crystal, specialty playing cards (Kings Wild etc), Lego speed champions (for my kids), automotive memorabilia, and gems and minerals in matrix.

And yo shout out to the last guy. I used to collect MTG back in the day of alpha beta legends arabian nights and antiquities. Chaos orb, elder dragons, moxes, mirror universe, ring of ma’ruf, dual lands... Brings back memories.

Attachments

• 9B819442-69FB-43A1-8B5A-12E2CD37DC10.jpeg
    9B819442-69FB-43A1-8B5A-12E2CD37DC10.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 119
Just curious what other things people collect besides Poker Chips on here.

For me my largest collection is of Movies. 4K, Blu-Rays, and DVD’s. All genres -Action, Drama, Sports Movies, Comedies, Rom Coms, Chick Flicks, Horror, Superhero, Martial Arts, Concerts, Documentaries on sports or History or anything. I have 1622 physical movies. Some might be on discs that have multiple movies and some I might have on DVD and Upgraded to 4K or Blu-Ray. A lot of Garage sales, Goodwill/Thrift Store buys, and eBay deals. I’ve owned a DVD player since 1997. My next biggest things non poker probably would be Funko POP! I might have 70 of them. Mostly just 80s and 90s movies, Tv, and WWE. Just things that Funko made I love that bring back great memories.

I thought it would be fun for people to show the one or two things they collect the most besides Poker related stuff. Things like Guitars, Hot Wheels, Sports Cards, Sports Jerseys, Antique Guns, liquor, classic Books, arcade machines, etc… So let’s see what you collect and it could be anything.

Pic where most of my movies are stored.
View attachment 703256
Let me preface this discussion by saying that my grandparents and parents were ALL major collectors . Antiques mostly - but they ventured into almost anything that was considered a collectible item . Rare furniture from the late 1700’s to the mid 1870’s . Rare books . Old vintage cars ( which I do collect ) .
Old West firearms - Metal and Porcelain signs - rare records - famous signatures of historical figures - Coin-op machines ( mostly the older slot machines . I could go on and on
about what they all collected .
Our family inherited over 4 huge warehouses of these type of antiques back in 1996 .
Then eBay came about . Great news for us .
For me personally - besides the older CA card room chips - over the years I have collected marbles , baseball cards , comic books .
At one time - I owned at least 10 of the Mickey Mantle 1952 Topps rookie cards .
All were sold off many years ago .
Owned many of the very early issues of the Superman - Spider-Man comic books .
Never owned the # 1 issue of each , but did own issues between # 5 to # 10 of both comics .
I have always enjoyed getting into other areas
of collecting - and find it a challenge to get the best quality / best condition / rarest piece that I can find .
Forgot to mention - I also had a fabulous collection of 240 Hot Wheels redline cars from the late 1960’s - all brand new mint in the original blister packs with the button . Most were sold to collectors who lived in San Francisco .
John

Strangely enough, I collect ducks (and antique barrister bookcases). My preference is Swarovski, specifically from the Happy Duck collection. I also snag random ducks from antique stores on occasion.

20210711_214325.jpg

My favorite duck, Happy Prince, has been my avatar here since I started

20210711_214342.jpg

Last edited:
we did a few flights blind (had my wife pour them out) and Single Oak Project was a dark horse favorite amongst the crew.

pappy 10 outperformed Lot b surprisingly but this group likes higher abv in general.

weller single barrel was a bit of a disappointment, but still a great bourbon (esp since it was purchased at retail - would not really recommend it for the crazy secondary prices)

I have a collection of old baseball gloves…. The less valuable ones I convert into wallets and card holders….fun hobby that brings back childhood memories of playing.

View attachment 736026View attachment 736027
this is so cool - have you ever made golf head covers? driver / mallet putter heads to be specific?

Knives!!! And a gun safe full if poker chips

Attachments

• 20210831_221643.jpg
    20210831_221643.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 105
Is it still collecting if you buy a bunch of stuff but there's really no rhyme/reason for the purchases other than something like "oh man that's pretty cool" or "I think that would be perfect for [this/that purpose]" or "ok, this will be the last one of these I buy", etc? Off the top of my head, I have way too many gear bags/packs, flashlights, watches, tshirts, and knives - but none of them are what I would call really high end or what I think real collectors would consider "special"... :)

Btw, what I REALLY want to start collecting is a pension. :D I've got a little over a year left for 25/full-medical but financial-wise, I might have to stay another 2-4 more after that... :(

Is it still collecting if you buy a bunch of stuff but there's really no rhyme/reason for the purchases other than something like "oh man that's pretty cool" or "I think that would be perfect for [this/that purpose]" or "ok, this will be the last one of these I buy", etc? Off the top of my head, I have way too many gear bags/packs, flashlights, watches, tshirts, and knives - but none of them are what I would call really high end or what I think real collectors would consider "special"... :D
That’s not collecting. That’s eclecting.

Is it still collecting if you buy a bunch of stuff but there's really no rhyme/reason for the purchases other than something like "oh man that's pretty cool" or "I think that would be perfect for [this/that purpose]" or "ok, this will be the last one of these I buy", etc? Off the top of my head, I have way too many gear bags/packs, flashlights, watches, tshirts, and knives - but none of them are what I would call really high end or what I think real collectors would consider "special"... :)

Btw, what I REALLY want to start collecting is a pension. :D I've got a little over a year left for 25/full-medical but financial-wise, I might have to stay another 2-4 more after that... :(
This describes me buying chips. No rhyme or reason and no use for most of them. But look, “these are cool”. I’ll find some use for them as I throw them on a shelf to discover them months or years later.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom