Job/Life Advice (1 Viewer)

moechar

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
1656430565067.png

Okay this is more than me just asking if ya'll are hiring LOL. Plenty of people on this forum know me and have helped me out and given me advice and even more (too many to tag, but thx everyone), but I am taking my personal issues public because why not hahaha.

Long story short, I am 25 and I work in marketing at a finance company. And I am bored. I mean like extremely bored. I will let it be known that this is not 100% an issue of my current role and function, but also more of a personality trait of feeling the need to be more challenged or do things that seem novel rather than repetitive and mundane. I've never had one specific passion, I've always been great at learning new things and getting really obsessed and then moving on when something else new and shiny comes along. But, it is also my current role, dealing with a really horrid manager and really not enjoying any aspect of my current work.

Many of you know I've debated going back to school, either for a second bachelors (don't laugh I know it sounds dumb) in a stem subject like mechanical engineering in order to work on more innovative challenging things, or even a masters like an MBA in order to get into the startup world. But given a ton of different current issues (inflation, cost of living in NYC, timing/recession, student loans, opportunity cost, time to complete the degree, etc.) and also the concern that getting yet another degree won't solve my problems with work has sort of deterred/delayed me from committing to this direction. I know long term I'd love to start my own thing, but still have no idea what I would start.

In conclusion, I am not only asking if there are any companies/roles you guys work at and/or suggest I look into/apply for (I'd be willing to relocate to pretty much any big city), but also just looking for advice/people's general opinions on the matter.

Thanks PCF :)

Vic

Vic, The answer lies within.

Seriously though you need to do some soul searching and think about what kind of work you want to do. Sounds like you are smart enough that money won't be a problem regardless of what you end up doing. The bigger question is job satisfaction.

Time is on your side at only 25 you are a time millionaire. What are you interested in or what turns your crank?

A really helpful job/career track framework that I have heard and used:

If I want to be [insert job/industry] in the future, what will need to be true THEN, that ISN'T true now? i.e. identify the knowledge/skills/experiences/professional network that you don't have right now, then develop a plan to start addressing everything on the list systematically, and revise the list as you learn more.

Get super detailed on what your vision for "start your own thing" means in practical terms. Have the courage to fail in the right direction. Then, start working your plan.

I personally love to help people, especially younger people, in my industry (sports marketing/PR/digital/social/communications/strategy) to pay forward what others have done for me. If you think those are interesting or helpful areas to learn more about, send me a PM and I'd be happy to talk more!

Victor, you are young enough to figure out what you may like to do, if you have dreams, follow them now. In general, work sucks, so try to find something you think you will like and in which you can grow. Don’t think exclusively of money, because your life will change and the whole work/life balance thing makes a huge difference when you get older.

Mechanical engineering is an excellent major with great job potential, but I can almost guarantee that you will be bored to death. If you are entrepreneurial, you could take your degree and work towards owning a business. You probably have a great idea of marketing already, you could stay in that field or use your marketing skills elsewhere.

The bottom line is, work is hard. We spend most of our lives working, especially in Northeastern USA. It’s worthwhile to look around and try new things when you’re young. Feel free to hit me up on PM if you have any ideas, I’ve been around for a while.

Just remember whatever work you do in life you will eventually become bored of it. 10 years is a realistic metric. But this is not to say there’s anything wrong with you or your job. It’s more important to realize and accept this and then develop hobbies, side hustles, whatever, to achieve happiness in your life.

If you expect your work to be the primary source of happiness in life you will be disillusioned soon enough. I’ve been very public about the fact that I’m here on PCF to ward off depression.

On a more practical note the job market isn’t as robust as it used to be. Any change can certainly leave you worse off.

Gotta start my next flight.

Do you have any IT or electronics/electromechanical experience? My company is always hiring for field service engineers. Great pay, great benefits, and a great industry servicing medical equipment.

Vic, I know we’ve talked about this before and I’m the same way. I fix the problems I am interested in fixing within the first 3 years and then get bored - lol.

I’ve landed with bigger companies that offer the opportunity to move to different roles (up or lateral) which helps scratch the 3 to 5 year itch and build internal networks. Moving around a lot early in my career has been a benefit and found it afforded me a much broader perspective. This, plus the broader network has helped my career tremendously.

Have you ever explored “Design Thinking”. You might really like that field. Always work on something new with new challenges to solve..

Not sure your exposure in the (tech) start up scene. Could be something refreshing (or the opposite: less structures and maybe even less professionalism in place), but worth a try IMHO... You might learn a thing or two that will be useful when you are starting something for yourself!

GL!

Hope ya'll don't mind if I reply to people all at once. I'll try to make it neat.
Vic, The answer lies within.

Seriously though you need to do some soul searching and think about what kind of work you want to do. Sounds like you are smart enough that money won't be a problem regardless of what you end up doing. The bigger question is job satisfaction.

Time is on your side at only 25 you are a time millionaire. What are you interested in or what turns your crank?
Hey Perry thanks for the kind words! I do humbly believe that I'm smart enough to succeed at anything I really want to, so it's just a matter of choosing something that I want to do haha.

My issue is, I've always been interested in new things. There's never been one concrete thing to point to that I can say, this is the one thing I'll do to make it. I've tried to narrow down at least some vague themes, such as I like math, I'm good at problem solving, I like to build things/think of new ideas (whether they be good ideas or really bad ones). I'll throw out some childhood anecdotes:
  • Had a book of very unrealistic inventions I had mocked up through elementary
  • Played music at a basically professional level from 6th grade through high school, but then quit the second I graduated and got bored
  • Changed my major several times through college, even as the number 1 econ student in my school because I just couldnt foresee myself working at a bank for 40 years (no offense to anyone who does this, I admire your ability to stick to one thing)
  • From a viewer standpoint, I love emerging technology like electric cars, robotics, trying to build hydroplanes, etc. But I never grew up with the experience of trying to build any of these things (yet I also didn't grow up in an environment that was very catering to these things anyways)
HOpefully that helps provide some context. I appreciate the advice :)

A really helpful job/career track framework that I have heard and used:

If I want to be [insert job/industry] in the future, what will need to be true THEN, that ISN'T true now? i.e. identify the knowledge/skills/experiences/professional network that you don't have right now, then develop a plan to start addressing everything on the list systematically, and revise the list as you learn more.

Get super detailed on what your vision for "start your own thing" means in practical terms. Have the courage to fail in the right direction. Then, start working your plan.

I personally love to help people, especially younger people, in my industry (sports marketing/PR/digital/social/communications/strategy) to pay forward what others have done for me. If you think those are interesting or helpful areas to learn more about, send me a PM and I'd be happy to talk more!
I think this is really great! Honestly I think my number one thing is, I can't point to many "jobs" that I really want in the future. And I don't mean that in a negative way, I mean that in the way that if I had any goal it would be to start my own company or try to launch a startup. Granted, that seems like what everyone wants to do these days so its not like I'm unique. As for jobs/industries, some of the jobs that I really could see myself doing are sort of extreme and even very different from each other. I would like to be an astronaut, or design airplanes, or make robots that can run entire factories on their own, but I would even love to be something like an archaeologist and look for things from ancient history, be a design director and sort of just idea generator for a company and prototype things, or work at a hedge fund and try to find patterns in the market, the list goes on lol. Thing is, I think I like all of these things but like I said I've never tried them to really know.

I'll definitely PM you as I'm curious to learn more about your industry specifically!

Victor, you are young enough to figure out what you may like to do, if you have dreams, follow them now. In general, work sucks, so try to find something you think you will like and in which you can grow. Don’t think exclusively of money, because your life will change and the whole work/life balance thing makes a huge difference when you get older.

Mechanical engineering is an excellent major with great job potential, but I can almost guarantee that you will be bored to death. If you are entrepreneurial, you could take your degree and work towards owning a business. You probably have a great idea of marketing already, you could stay in that field or use your marketing skills elsewhere.

The bottom line is, work is hard. We spend most of our lives working, especially in Northeastern USA. It’s worthwhile to look around and try new things when you’re young. Feel free to hit me up on PM if you have any ideas, I’ve been around for a while.
Hey @joepro ! Thanks for the advice :) Yeah you see, I had that fear of mechanical engineering being boring, but I just wasn't sure. I mean maybe it depends on where you work? I've met a ton of engineers on here whom I've heard work on super cool things that sounded interesting to me. But I'm sure there are plenty of mech e. jobs that are just like mine. I've always been huge on autonomy and thinking of new ideas so I want to say I'm entrepreneurial, but I've never launched a business or even sold lemonade or anything like that as a kid hahaha.

I'll shoot you a PM when I think of some things :)

Just remember whatever work you do in life you will eventually become bored of it. 10 years is a realistic metric. But this is not to say there’s anything wrong with you or your job. It’s more important to realize and accept this and then develop hobbies, side hustles, whatever, to achieve happiness in your life.

If you expect your work to be the primary source of happiness in life you will be disillusioned soon enough. I’ve been very public about the fact that I’m here on PCF to ward off depression.

On a more practical note the job market isn’t as robust as it used to be. Any change can certainly leave you worse off.

Gotta start my next flight.
I hear you. I have a few really good hobbies outside of work right now that do make me super happy, but just trying to figure out what sort of purpose I have is really been holding me back. I feel super capable but don't know what to do with it. I'll keep your feedback in mind, gracias!

Do you have any IT or electronics/electromechanical experience? My company is always hiring for field service engineers. Great pay, great benefits, and a great industry servicing medical equipment.
Unfortunately I have no experience in any format of engineering. But I'm happy to PM you and chat about it if you want :D

Vic, I know we’ve talked about this before and I’m the same way. I fix the problems I am interested in fixing within the first 3 years and then get bored - lol.

I’ve landed with bigger companies that offer the opportunity to move to different roles (up or lateral) which helps scratch the 3 to 5 year itch and build internal networks. Moving around a lot early in my career has been a benefit and found it afforded me a much broader perspective. This, plus the broader network has helped my career tremendously.

Have you ever explored “Design Thinking”. You might really like that field. Always work on something new with new challenges to solve..
Hey Mike! I owe you a text message or a phone call, but "Design Thinking" does sound pretty interesting at the sound of it. Do you have any material on it or any suggestions on where I could go to learn more? I'll do some googling and shoot you a text. Appreciate the advice :)

Not sure your exposure in the (tech) start up scene. Could be something refreshing (or the opposite: less structures and maybe even less professionalism in place), but worth a try IMHO... You might learn a thing or two that will be useful when you are starting something for yourself!

GL!
Not much exposure from a professional stance but obviously a ton from personal research and just as a consumer. Would love to try to work at one if the opportunity presented itself! I've been looking :D

Get a job at a company that will pay for more schooling and get an MBA
This could be a really good idea as well. So I'm assuming at a larger public company?

Marketing for a finance company sounds boring AF. But marketing in and of itself is pretty cool.

You might find more fulfillment working at a digital marketing agency. You get to work on all sorts of different projects for clients in vastly different industries - each with their own set of challenges to overcome.

What area of marketing are you best at?

• Had a book of very unrealistic inventions I had mocked up through elementary
  • Changed my major several times through college, even as the number 1 econ student in my school because I just couldnt foresee myself working at a bank for 40 years (no offense to anyone who does this, I admire your ability to stick to one thing)
  • From a viewer standpoint, I love emerging technology like electric cars, robotics, trying to build hydroplanes, etc. But I never grew up with the experience of trying to build any of these things (yet I also didn't grow up in an environment that was very catering to these things anyways)

These are pretty specific interests with regards to new tech and innovation/inventions. Rather than trying to brainstorm in a vacuum try to network with people that already work in those industries. There is Maker Labs https://www.makerlabs.com/ in Vancouver that has events where people showcase their inventions and robots etc. Maybe there is a group similar to that in your area.

The good news is there is lots of money sloshing around in tech so it shouldn't be that hard to find something that is a fit. And like DirtyTIVA said you don't have to do it for 30 years. I think its fine to do a job for 5-10 years and move on to something else.

Off the top of my head you could create a YouTube channel reviewing different new tech (probably a lot of competition but still fun).

Also there is nothing wrong with putting your head down for a few years to get enough money to finance your future plans.

I am not a huge fan of higher education but if you want to do mechanical engineering then it will probably set you up well to do many different jobs. Consider a hands on training that includes many fields: electrical / welding / hydraulics / soldering. If you learn those skills then you can build anything.

If you do decide to go to school then view that time as a networking opportunity. You might start a cool company with classmates so don't just focus on the information.

A final note: try not to end up working for someone else. If you are an employee you will (almost) always end up bored as you are just a cog in someone else's machine. Find a way to own a business or start a company and you will probably be more happy. If you do get bored you can always sell your company for $$$ assuming you built something worth while.

Tons of factors/fun decisions :D

(Wow this got way too long - Sorry for the 2000 word essay LMAO) I just dm'd it to you instead

Might not be 100% applicable or answer your question, but hope it helps!

You can bounce around without much consequence for another 5-7 years; after that doors will start closing.

Working life is loooong. You have more working years ahead of you than years you have been alive. Find something that you like and lets you grow. What will your 50 year old self want, because he still has to work for another 10-15 years.

I feel you man. Although I love my job at the moment I see myself going back to get my Masters in Economics. Not sure when yet. Just turned 23 so I will figure it out by 25 haha.
We can’t all be perfect like you Ryan!! I’m coming after you in September (assuming you’ll be there)

I wish I was 23 or 25 again you bastards!...

But seriously, good for you for recognising this early. I didn't realise I hated what I did until I was early 30s. by then, wife, kid, mortgage...much harder to make the change.

Good luck! :tup:

Part of this is being young and new to the working world - I felt this exact way at 25. Many 'successful' careers also don't end up where they start.

Personally, I'm just north of 40 - got my degree in management information systems from a top 10 undergrad business school, but graduated in the very early 2000s when 9/11 and the subsequent world events had the economy in a rough spot - so got a job as a corporate trainer because that's what I had worked my way through college doing. Then, started working on projects in other areas of HR, expanded into organizational development and design and started doing a number of higher level projects for large companies going through change. Then, in a 'right place right time right relationships' scenario, ended up moving into a role in corporate development/mergers and acquisitions - which is where I'm at now.

That said, all that varied education and experience still helps in my current role.

The most important thing is you take this time getting actually good at a few things - get deep on a few topics. Worst thing you can do is 80/20 everything for the first 10 years of your career, spend a year or two one each topic and move on, and then you reach the point in your 30s where you should be a senior level individual contributor or manager, commanding a higher level of compensation, and not having those 'tree trunks' of knowledge in at least a few topics. By that point, you end up too far away from the day to day work/too expensive to really learn the details of something new without taking a step back.

Happy to chat more by DM if you want - I've done a lot of career coaching (some as a job) in my day. Also, here's an article I wrote a few years back that deals with this topic as well.

I’d like to also add stay away from healthcare in general unless you want to make 250-300k a year as a nurse for 36-40 hours a week in select markets. You will be bound by protocols and bored out of your skull I imagine. Perfusionists probably make more but more call and even more boring.

Check out the book “What Color is Your Parachute “. Weird name, but truly amazing for helping people to identify what they love in a job, what they hate in a job, what work environments allow them to thrive, what work environments cause them to whither.

It also gives great advice on how to identify what jobs might be a better or worse fit, based on the above factors, and how to assess those jobs before committing hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars preparing for a job you end up hating.

It has a lot of exercises that require some self-introspection, so be prepared to spend some time and effort, but it could be time and effort well spent.

Best of luck!

You can bounce around without much consequence for another 5-7 years; after that doors will start closing.

Working life is loooong. You have more working years ahead of you than years you have been alive. Find something that you like and lets you grow. What will your 50 year old self want, because he still has to work for another 10-15 years.
This is a great question to think about. Not sure what my 50 year old self wants, but I'll start thinking about it!

I wish I was 23 or 25 again you bastards!...

But seriously, good for you for recognising this early. I didn't realise I hated what I did until I was early 30s. by then, wife, kid, mortgage...much harder to make the change.

Good luck! :tup:
Luckily I have none of those and don't plan on having them anytime soon :) So there's hope! hahaha

I went back to school for a second Bachelor's degree, this time in a professional program. Best thing I ever did.
:O You gotta tell me more about it...

Part of this is being young and new to the working world - I felt this exact way at 25. Many 'successful' careers also don't end up where they start.

Personally, I'm just north of 40 - got my degree in management information systems from a top 10 undergrad business school, but graduated in the very early 2000s when 9/11 and the subsequent world events had the economy in a rough spot - so got a job as a corporate trainer because that's what I had worked my way through college doing. Then, started working on projects in other areas of HR, expanded into organizational development and design and started doing a number of higher level projects for large companies going through change. Then, in a 'right place right time right relationships' scenario, ended up moving into a role in corporate development/mergers and acquisitions - which is where I'm at now.

That said, all that varied education and experience still helps in my current role.

The most important thing is you take this time getting actually good at a few things - get deep on a few topics. Worst thing you can do is 80/20 everything for the first 10 years of your career, spend a year or two one each topic and move on, and then you reach the point in your 30s where you should be a senior level individual contributor or manager, commanding a higher level of compensation, and not having those 'tree trunks' of knowledge in at least a few topics. By that point, you end up too far away from the day to day work/too expensive to really learn the details of something new without taking a step back.

Happy to chat more by DM if you want - I've done a lot of career coaching (some as a job) in my day. Also, here's an article I wrote a few years back that deals with this topic as well.
I will PM you this is great insight! Thanks :D

I’d like to also add stay away from healthcare in general unless you want to make 250-300k a year as a nurse for 36-40 hours a week in select markets. You will be bound by protocols and bored out of your skull I imagine. Perfusionists probably make more but more call and even more boring.
I don't think I could ever be a nurse. But I will also make sure to steer clear of healthcare thank you for the warning hahaha.

Check out the book “What Color is Your Parachute “. Weird name, but truly amazing for helping people to identify what they love in a job, what they hate in a job, what work environments allow them to thrive, what work environments cause them to whither.

It also gives great advice on how to identify what jobs might be a better or worse fit, based on the above factors, and how to assess those jobs before committing hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars preparing for a job you end up hating.

It has a lot of exercises that require some self-introspection, so be prepared to spend some time and effort, but it could be time and effort well spent.

Best of luck!
Wow super interesting! I will definitely look into this book thanks so much!

My son took a similar route. He had his master's in Applied Economics at 22. He loves his job. Keep at it!

@Rbonus012 and @detroitdad 's son for having their lives together before me:

clapped-up-kevin-hart.gif

Jk, happy for ya'll :)

CompSci. You can bounce from industry to industry if you get bored. Software Architect or Engineer, Cloud engineer, framework designer, All sorts of pivots and always something new to learn.

You’ll never be successful if you don’t know what you want.
Do you want money?
Do you want time?
Do you want fast cars and girls?
Do you want to retire at 40?
Do you want to live on welfare?
Do you want children to carry a legacy?

You have to decide what you want in life and then things like jobs, friends, locations, etc… become much clearer.

It’s hard to get there if you don’t know where you are going.
And you have to be specific.

You’ll never be successful if you don’t know what you want.
Do you want money?
Do you want time?
Do you want fast cars and girls?
Do you want to retire at 40?
Do you want to live on welfare?
Do you want children to carry a legacy?

You have to decide what you want in life and then things like jobs, friends, locations, etc… become much clearer.

It’s hard to get there if you don’t know where you are going.
And you have to be specific.

This is true. It might be hard to figure out when you are young. Do you want to be Elon Musk and change the world or do you just want to surf on the beach with a couple friends?

Beyond a job think about your bigger picture life goals. Also account for the fact that you will probably end up married with kids down the line which will change things dramatically...

Make your bones now. Things will show up later in life to distract you, so do the hard work now.

Also, you need to get to a point where the next thing you are doing is the next shiny thing. Like I was you, I kept hoping jobs looking for the next thing that was interesting after I mastered the thing that I was working on then. Get yourself into a role where you define the next thing, product, project, whatever that you will be working on and the next glittery object you will chase will be your own.

This is a great question to think about. Not sure what my 50 year old self wants, but I'll start thinking about it!

Luckily I have none of those and don't plan on having them anytime soon :) So there's hope! hahaha

:O You gotta tell me more about it...

I will PM you this is great insight! Thanks :D

I don't think I could ever be a nurse. But I will also make sure to steer clear of healthcare thank you for the warning hahaha.

Wow super interesting! I will definitely look into this book thanks so much!

@Rbonus012 and @detroitdad 's son for having their lives together before me:

clapped-up-kevin-hart.gif

Jk, happy for ya'll :)

I'm right with you dude

Don't forget about dealing with unhappy people in pain, not feeling well, and otherwise in high amounts of distress and stress whose families won't even blink about suing you if something goes wrong, even if you did everything right and everything you could. Half of my work day is spent writing progress notes like a deposition because of this. Yay crippling anxiety and paranoia!

Definitely stay away from healthcare Vic. Stay right where you are, but perhaps in a different setting in a larger company like others have pointed out.

Not sure what my 50 year old self wants, but I'll start thinking about it!
This is your problem, all of it.

It’s hard. You really have to think about it. Then you have to plan and save whatever you need to go that direction.

Driftwood usually ends up on the rocks, shattered and twisted and torn. Boats get to dock at the pier, safe in harbor.
Build a fucking boat and sail around life.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom