Time to get a few more boxes of ammo? (1 Viewer)

Pony

Two Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
I've been picking up that ammo is about to get harder to find again, primarily with some of the bigger mfg's doing a bunch of support/donation/commitment to the Ukraine war.

I don't know how accurate that is, but with current ammo like 9mm now being under a quarter a round (new brass, not ammo from Turkey), thinking about picking up 500-1000 rounds.

I've also read there's a new push and proposal for hi-cap bans (Keep America Safe Act). Not that I want/need more mags, but it's being pushed.

Anyone else seeing/hearing the same?

you can never have enough ammo. I always try and pick some up when I'm out and about even if its one box or as much as a case it always helps. Being in CA mags are a tough buy but if they are available to you and you have space for them why not pick up a couple more.

I may or may not have a case or three of AR and AK mags, and my other half may or may not have an opinion on how much is 'enough', and whether any extra space should be used for more :wtf:

Same with some ammo calibers. I'm also of the mindset of "there's never enough", and also try to pick up stuff here and there

I do not have nearly that many mags but I wouldn't mind a few more. I hear you on the space thing luckily for me the second half enjoys the sport as much as I do so I usually do not have any issues in that department. Most of the time she only give me shit for buying too much bourbon....

I've just seen some prices at some of the places I buy from start to increase. One place that had been selling 308 at $.67 upped their price to $.78. I literally had a couple cases in my cart one morning, went to work and came back to complete the purchase (wanted to check a couple of retailers before I pulled the trigger) - and it had jumped. Called the supplier, they wouldn't budge. Ordered 2000 rounds of .22lr for plinking a couple weeks ago - now the same ammo from the same supplier is up about 12%. Have received some emails from places I purchase from, stating that their prices will be going up very soon due to the global gunpowder shortage. Ammo for my 300RUM is almost $4/shot - it's a hunting rifle, so I'm fairly content with the amount of ammo I have for it (and my other hunting rifles)(excluding my 6.5 Creedmore AR10).

I was actually kinda holding off on getting more than I have, waiting to see if there were some late winter sales. Procrastination was not a gamble I won.

I did pick up locally some .223 at around $.45 on sale - one store ran out right away, and a long-time employee that I knew said that they aren't able to get anymore in, and the reason it was on sale was because they had already setup the sales a month or so before. They also told me their supplier indicated prices were going up, and there would be shortages.

Hate to say it, been using my chip money for bullets lately, picking up stuff that is currently a good deal. As the space under my bed is crowded with boxes of chips, have to find some place in the garage for my ammo - although I also just bought (2) addl. ammo cabinets that I'll try to find a location for this weekend.

Recommend if you're an enthusiast, to check your supplies and pick up what you'll need. Example of one of the emails below. Yeah, I'm aware of marketing, but I've also been hearing that ammo might be hard to find from here on out (started hearing about potential shortages in late November), and I'm actually seeing it start to happen...

ammo.JPG

Ammo is actually $ per $ cheaper in Canada currently for most rounds than it is in the USA......??? weird eh.

As a result I have redirected all chip funds to ammunition purchases. I think its important to stock up on lifetime personal use ammunition stores now, as future purchases will only become more burdensome with the expansion of the Nanny State.

So yes buy the 1000rds of 9mm!

RE: reloading - have a nice Dillon Precision progressive loader, and dies for most everything, pistols to rifles. Problem is powder/primer (price/availability). I've custom loaded most all my hunting rifles, doing 3-shot groups with 1/2 grain adjustments. Once dialed in - point and shoot! This was a few (or more) years back with my 300RUM.

Scott elk.jpg

RE: reloading - have a nice Dillon Precision progressive loader, and dies for most everything, pistols to rifles. Problem is powder/primer (price/availability). I've custom loaded most all my hunting rifles, doing 3-shot groups with 1/2 grain adjustments. Once dialed in - point and shoot! This was a few (or more) years back with my 300RUM.

View attachment 1274464
Nice rack!

Agreed on your point about component prices/availability. It’s been ridiculous since Covid. I burned through most of my stock acquired prior.

Sometimes being in the right place at the right time pays off but there’s also good resources for finding deals out there like ammoseek. That’s where I’ve found most of my component “deals” post Covid.

Prices of components are nutty but being able to roll my own and control all variables is priceless to me. Plus it is a “hobby” that I enjoy.

Nice rack!

Agreed on your point about component prices/availability. It’s been ridiculous since Covid. I burned through most of my stock acquired prior.

Sometimes being in the right place at the right time pays off but there’s also good resources for finding deals out there like ammoseek. That’s where I’ve found most of my component “deals” post Covid.

Prices of components are nutty but being able to roll my own and control all variables is priceless to me. Plus it is a “hobby” that I enjoy.

Yeah, I use ammoseek, wikiarms, and another one to track prices of things I'm interested in. Also keep an eye on some retailers that offer free shipping specials on items - you can often add ammo to those 'free shipping' items and have it ship free with the other stuff. Reloading is absolutely enjoyable, but I am too lazy to deal with 9mm, 40, 223, and anything else that is shot in high volume. Have to say some of that time now is spent on chips and gambling!

Do you have 2000 rounds in every caliber?

Yes? You're fine.

No? Buy more.

Blasphemy! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: If ammo/powder's gonna be hard to get for a few years, that's only 500 rounds a year! What if I want to go shoot more than one weekend a year? :wtf::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

One my friends always asks me this question when I mention that I bought more ammo.

How much ammo do you actually need?

I just respond with "Yes"

Confuses him every time lol

Have to say some of that time now is spent on chips and gambling!
I’m in the same boat now that I’m comfortable…

Thankfully I got into reloading before I got into chipping. I would have some pretty nice chips though.

One my friends always asks me this question when I mention that I bought more ammo.

How much ammo do you actually need?

I just respond with "Yes"

Confuses him every time lol
That, and the answer to how many guns is enough is just one more.

Do you have 2000 rounds in every caliber?

Yes? You're fine.

No? Buy more.
do you mean per firearm? or total?

1. Buy enough ammo to fill your ammo storage
  2. Buy more storage
  3. See #1

These work well, the shelves hold quite a bit of weight.
https://www.uline.ca/

Bulk Storage Racks - Particle Board
EnlargeEnlarge & Video

BULK STORAGE RACKS - PARTICLE BOARD​

Store your heaviest, extra-wide or bulky items. Up to 3,000 lbs. per shelf.
  • Boltless assembly. Shelves snap into place and adjust at 2" increments.
  • Smooth, solid 5/8" thick particle board eliminates item fall-through.
  • Welded steel uprights with cross braces for maximum strength. Heavy-duty 14-gauge steel.
  • Includes up to 4 supports per shelf.
  • 96" boards ship in two pieces.
  • Welded footplates for floor mounting.
  • ADD-ON UNITS – Double your existing storage space by connecting additional shelving. Includes 3 shelves, 12 shelf supports and one welded steel upright.

Boltless Fast Snap-In

For the record I only have one full rolling tool box used for poker chips........

1708099915636.png

1708100048359.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom