Job/Life Advice (1 Viewer)

This is your problem, all of it.

It’s hard. You really have to think about it. Then you have to plan and save whatever you need to go that direction.

Driftwood usually ends up on the rocks, shattered and twisted and torn. Boats get to dock at the pier, safe in harbor.
Build a fucking boat and sail around life.

That's too fucking deep bud lol

Don't forget about dealing with unhappy people in pain, not feeling well, and otherwise in high amounts of distress and stress whose families won't even blink about suing you if something goes wrong, even if you did everything right and everything you could. Half of my work day is spent writing progress notes like a deposition because of this. Yay crippling anxiety and paranoia!

Definitely stay away from healthcare Vic. Stay right where you are, but perhaps in a different setting in a larger company like others have pointed out.
I purposely only mentioned nursing and ancillary technicians. The other path that shall not be named makes no objective sense these days but people choose to do it regardless. And that’s the kind of attitude necessary for success in that arena.

You have to work both ends. Work towards where you want to end up, but make adjustments as needed.
Think in 2-5 year increments.
Don’t lie to yourself
Work hard and save, cause whatever it is it’s going to take money somewhere along the way
Generally people will help you reach goals if you really have them
Shortcuts and luck are the tail ends of the bell curve. Sure, a few people make it like that, but the majority won’t. And your not special.

Take the business/mk expertise and get into tech.

1.Tech sales if you are good with people and have no attention span to learn.
or
2. engineering if you like building or fixing things.

Now is the time, skip formal school and do bootcamps for 3-6 weeks max. Technology service providers and F1000 need people bad.

My gut says this is a particularly risky time to be switching jobs. If your ship isn’t about to sink and you don’t have something really solid lined up, I wouldn’t roll the dice

Some thoughts -

Variety of tasks -
Consulting or Technical sales - Deal with different clients and help solve their issues

Starting your own business -
Work at a small company. You can see how the whole place runs and work with all the managers. Also usually open to people taking on more roles.
MBA would probably be the best schooling. Some have emphasis on entrepreneurship.

Product development -
Engineering is pretty math intense and heavily detail oriented. Something like industrial design might be more your style - develop look and function of new products.

Getting a second degree or an MBA is not a bad idea. It will take time, yes, and it will mean you may have to shoulder some student loan debt, but it will be totally worth it. Both my wife and I have our MBAs and the programs we were in did a fantastic job of providing tons of leads into the professional world. Whether you want to go the startup route, start your own company, or make your resume more attractive for a corporate job, you should have plenty of options if you go back to school. I would guess you'll have a similar experience if you go the mechanical engineering route as well. Good luck!

When all else fails
1656470790632.gif

Alright...I'm old school and I'm just gonna throw this out there unfiltered. Same advice I give my kids.

1. Your job is nothing more than a tool.
2. That tool should enable you to do the things in life you enjoy.
3. If it doesn't, then you need a sharper tool.
4. If it does, then appreciate the tool and quit worrying about a different tool.

My first job involved punching holes in the ocean for $1.35 an hour.

This is NOT a criticism of anybody's life choices, but just a fact finding mission on whether or not we need new tools. Or if we need to quit searching and enjoy the tools we have? Only a choice you can make!

Alright...I'm old school and I'm just gonna throw this out there unfiltered. Same advice I give my kids.

1. Your job is nothing more than a tool.
2. That tool should enable you to do the things in life you enjoy.
3. If it doesn't, then you need a sharper tool.
4. If it does, then appreciate the tool and quit worrying about a different tool.

My first job involved punching holes in the ocean for $1.35 an hour.

This is NOT a criticism of anybody's life choices, but just a fact finding mission on whether or not we need new tools. Or if we need to quit searching and enjoy the tools we have? Only a choice you can make!
I have only one question. How do you punch holes in the ocean?

As a 22 year old I'm interested in reading more of what people post on this thread. I've seen plenty of good advice and it truly comes down to finding something that makes you happy. You never want to do something that you don't enjoy and I'm sure that's been said a million times, but it's so true.

I stumbled in here and read each post. I’ve helped a few younger guys get moving, and here’s my take.

First, let me quantify with a base for value in my words. This will come off as blowing myself, but follow along please. I promise I’m helping.

I’m 37. I’m retired. Forever unemployed. I built my mother a house and paid for it cash in 2020. I have a very small mortgage on my home. I own my 2020 Ram Rebel and BMW i3, own, no payment. I have zero credit card debt. My credit score is currently 843, hunting the magic 850, I will get it.

Why did I just tell you all of this….?

Because two decades ago…. I was in debt $50,000 +/-. I had a 5XX credit score. My wife and I drove a Plymouth Colt (look it up, you’ll laugh). I rented a shit hole place, with a tree on it, yes, a tree fell on it, and we stayed because we were poor. I also lived on section 8 assistance.

What made the difference? What got us where we are? Hard. Fucking. Work. Period. I made decisions to get where I wanted to be. My wife busted her ass to do the same. We went to war with life and wrote it down. Made goals. Hit them. Made more. Hit those. Didn’t stop.

Victor, I’m telling you right now, this very evening, you need to stop and have some introspection. Write it all down. Figure out where you want to be in 20 years, and DO WHAT IS NECESSARY TO GET THERE. This is hands down the best advice I can give you. I’m dead serious. Because all you have is time, and every second you waste treading water, is a day you won’t get to enjoy later on.

Second bit of advice. Some might scoff at this part. Here it is… Rather than finding a job, I’d suggest you build a life. How do you do that? Move. Leave your support system. The most successful people I know have done this. A support system is crippling. Having a safety net means you take stupid chances and don’t care about the consequences. It dulls your focus. When you remove the safety net, you then zero the fuck in on the task. Laser focused. Because if you slip, it hurts…..

You also have to decide where you grow roots. I highly suggest you entertain places that will let your dollar go further than most. I’m from CA, my wife is from NY, and we both chose Alabama. I would not have been able to be where I am in life if I lived in NY. It’s simply not possible with my setup. My income isn’t enough to retire on in NY. Yet, in Alabama I’m smiling daily living my dream. Location makes a massive difference.

You have one swing at life. Make good decisions. Then make better ones. And finally the best ones. It takes time, but remember… If you want it… all it takes is.

HARD. FUCKING. WORK.

Cheers, and I hope you dial it in and find your way.

- Lou

Last edited:
View attachment 939925

Okay this is more than me just asking if ya'll are hiring LOL. Plenty of people on this forum know me and have helped me out and given me advice and even more (too many to tag, but thx everyone), but I am taking my personal issues public because why not hahaha.

Long story short, I am 25 and I work in marketing at a finance company. And I am bored. I mean like extremely bored. I will let it be known that this is not 100% an issue of my current role and function, but also more of a personality trait of feeling the need to be more challenged or do things that seem novel rather than repetitive and mundane. I've never had one specific passion, I've always been great at learning new things and getting really obsessed and then moving on when something else new and shiny comes along. But, it is also my current role, dealing with a really horrid manager and really not enjoying any aspect of my current work.

Many of you know I've debated going back to school, either for a second bachelors (don't laugh I know it sounds dumb) in a stem subject like mechanical engineering in order to work on more innovative challenging things, or even a masters like an MBA in order to get into the startup world. But given a ton of different current issues (inflation, cost of living in NYC, timing/recession, student loans, opportunity cost, time to complete the degree, etc.) and also the concern that getting yet another degree won't solve my problems with work has sort of deterred/delayed me from committing to this direction. I know long term I'd love to start my own thing, but still have no idea what I would start.

In conclusion, I am not only asking if there are any companies/roles you guys work at and/or suggest I look into/apply for (I'd be willing to relocate to pretty much any big city), but also just looking for advice/people's general opinions on the matter.

Thanks PCF :)

Vic
What sort of marketing role do you do within the finance company, bud?

As someone who works in advertising, have you ever considered an agency role instead?

I can appreciate how the repetitive nature of in-house roles can get very boring — very quickly. If you think your marketing skills are transferable, the variety of clients and briefs at an agency make for a much more enjoyable and fulfilling experience.

I'm confident you'd feel much more challenged, and the yearning to constantly learn more and improve yourself that you clearly have will take you really far within an agency setting.

Likewise, if you're dealing with a "horrid manager", that's a huge factor in sucking the life out of any potential enjoyment within a company. I'd say maybe try the same sort of role within a different company, one where you feel as though a manager will help you progress — not hold you back.

My DMs are open if you want to talk more.

I work for a European company and I'm not sure if this works in corporate America but have you ever thought about talking to your boss and telling them you're bored? This is what we encourage people to do and it helps define growth and career paths that are responding to the needs of the individual (which also change over time). It will also define if the company/job is really the right place for you - sometimes it's not and it's better to find that out now rather than 10 years later.

You can also find change from more than just the day to day work. I started work at 22 and took my first expat job just before I turned 26 - no change in my daily work but a complete change in market and working environment. That rejuvenated and kept me stimulated for another 5-6 years when I got bored and moved again.

And, as others have said, hard work pays off. Doors opened for me repeatedly place because I just put my head down and worked hard. Others wanted the same career opportunities but didn't put in the same effort to the day job.

You have to work hard and ask for what you want - sometimes repeatedly.

If your situation isn’t working out with your boss, and you like what you do and/or like the company, try to find another job internally.

I’ve worked with and for toxic leaders and incompetent leaders that meant well but couldn’t deliver due to limitations with their leadership ability, empathy for employees, or organizational / political restrictions. I’ve also been fortunate to have some really great advocate bosses throughout my career.

I can’t overstate how important it is to have an effective working relationship with your boss. It’s worth leaving an organization for IMO if you can’t find the right relationship at your current org. The vast majority of people don’t quit jobs or even quit organizations - they quit the relationship with their leadership.

If you’re competent, work hard, and ask for exactly what you want, and you’re reasonably patient and your boss advocates for you, you’ll get new challenges and eventually promotions and such.

Don’t settle for anything less that that, particularly in your 20s. Pro golfers have a term called “moving day” - it’s the Saturday where you either move up the leaderboard or out of the tournament.

Your 20s are moving day - you’re setting the foundation for the rest of your career. Not that you can’t change disciplines mid-way - I switched from enterprise IT to running an MSP to working in strategy and product. 3 way different things but the skills were transferable — and so were the relationships - which gets us back to leadership - if you have a bunch of people that respect your efforts and what you deliver and see you as an asset, as they leave and move to different organizations and different job roles, you’ll have additional opportunities. Managers love taking their rock stars into their new orgs.

If you can find a mentor, it makes things a lot easier. Learn from their bad beats - ask a fucking ton of questions - “why?” should be a question you ask a lot if you have a good relationship with your boss and you want to get promoted. I’ve been a mentor for a few people and had a few myself and you learn alot about yourself in both roles - I can’t recommend this enough.

Cliffs: life is too short for toxic orgs or toxic bosses, and companies can be fairly ruthless with discarding your position (and a bunch of others) should they need to in order to help make a quarterly earnings call. Relationships are important, as is finding an organization that you feel comfortable in and think you can find advancement in.

The other path that shall not be named makes no objective sense these days but people choose to do it regardless. And that’s the kind of attitude necessary for success in that arena.

The job that shall not be named! Definitely a big mistake if making as much money as fast as possible is the goal

The biggest thing about making goals and having them forefront is that there will be times when things drag, they suck, and it’s just a pain.
But having the goals reminds you of why you are slogging through the shit, why you are hanging on and doing crap work or putting up with a crappy situation for a bit. It’s not all roses, and you have to remember that roses do best when they are growing up through shit for fertilizer. Not saying you have to put up with all kinds of crap, but sometimes you do if it’s helping you get where you want to be. If it’s not helping you in some form or fashion then work towards a different situation that is.
That light at the end of the tunnel is all you will have at some moments in life.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom