Working Life: The Eternal Grind (2 Viewers)

But you hold the salt…. ;)
super bowl football GIF

There’s a scene in the Wahlberg remake of The Gambler where John Goodman’s character gives a great speech about Fuck You Money.

Basically, he says the goal is to get your hands on enough money that even conservatively invested (let’s say 4% annual return), the income will cover all of your basic living expenses.

So if any boss demands that you do something you don’t want to, you can say Fuck You. Because you have that safety net to allow you to walk away at any time.

(Goodman pegs the Fuck You amount at $2.5 million. But that was about 10 years ago. $2.5M x 4% = $100K. $3M x 4% = $120K. Note that 4% is very low historically. Right now you can get over 5% in plain old Schwab or Vanguard money market funds.)

Not sure if that clip is online but I’ll try to find it. Clip below.

Last edited:
There’s a scene in the Wahlberg remake of The Gambler where John Goodman’s character gives a great speech about Fuck You Money.

Basically, he says the goal is to get your hands on enough money that when very conservatively invested (let’s say 4% annual return), the income will cover your rent/mortgage, food and other basic living expenses.

So if any boss demands that you do something you don’t want to, you can say Fuck You. Because you have that safety net to allow you to walk away.

(Goodman pegs the Fuck You amount at $2.5 million. But that was about 10 years ago. $2.5M x 4% = $100K. $3M x 4% = $120K. Note that 4% is very low historically. Right now you can get over 5% in plain old Schwab or Vanguard money market funds.)

Not sure if that clip is online but I’ll try to find it.
Well, that's good that I'm 4% of the way there.

...shit.

"When all is said and done, more is said than done"
Benjamin Franklin

Not to be a buzzkill, but this is the type of quote that gets attributed to everyone from Mark Twain to Lincoln to Gandhi to Churchill to Einstein. I would be surprised if Franklin said it.

Still a great saying, tho.

Basically, he says the goal is to get your hands on enough money that even conservatively invested (let’s say 4% annual return), the income will cover all of your basic living expenses.

So if any boss demands that you do something you don’t want to, you can say Fuck You. Because you have that safety net to allow you to walk away at any time.

^^^
Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

Great spot to be. I would say in a situation like this, once all my necessary expenses are covered (mortgage, healthcare, utilities, food, gas, etc.) if I had $1500 leftover at the end of every month I would feel like I was living the dream. Anything above that would be gravy!

Not to be a buzzkill, but this is the type of quote that gets attributed to everyone from Mark Twain to Lincoln to Gandhi to Churchill to Einstein. I would be surprised if Franklin said it.

Still a great saying, tho.
In the words of Harriet Tubman "Do not trust a quote you've read on the Internet"

In the words of Harriet Tubman "Do not trust a quote you've read on the Internet"
You shouldn’t use a women’s suffrage hero like Harriet Tubman in a joke. It would be better to pick someone like Marie Curie, who founded the Red Cross.

The difference between me and you.

You talk a good one, but you don't do what you supposed to do

I act on what I feel and never deal with emotions

I'm used to livin' big-dog-style and straight coastin'

About 5 bank accounts, 3 ounces, and 2 vehicles

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom