House of the dragon (1 Viewer)

Justchipin

3 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
I saw that the rings of power had its own post and I thought then House of the dragon NEEDS one too !

I know there are plenty of GRRM geeks on here with me and are loving being back in westeros and free of the two block heads I won't name that trashed the last 3 Seasons of GOT.

My hope is that we are now 3 episodes down with one coming in 2 days we will have something to talk about on here and maybe save us some money from buying that rack that looks cool but we all know we don't need!!

I guess I'll start the discussion off with saying I'm am so relieved the show seems to be good and that they are following the book cannon but also not undoing alot of the parts for fire and blood that we had to make up what happened for ourselves the "heir for a day" scene with Damon was a great example of that !

SPOILERS

Just watched episode 6 and I have to say that I love the first 5 epsiodes and hate episode 6.
How in the world can you jump 10 years in time and switch main actors. Maybe you can do this between seasons. But within a season!! Just terrible and sad.

SPOILERS

Just watched episode 6 and I have to say that I love the first 5 epsiodes and hate episode 6.
How in the world can you jump 10 years in time and switch main actors. Maybe you can do this between seasons. But within a season!! Just terrible and sad.

I agree ^^. The crazy thing is that was a planned actor change too. Also think they skipped too many years.

Time jump & recast doesn't bother me at all personally. It was an inevitability to tell this story, I think.

With some liberties taken due to adaptation, the show picks up ~year 105 AC, and Viserys isn't out of the picture until more than 20 years after that which is when the Dance of the Dragons civil war really starts in earnest, but all the happenings and relationships and dynamics that are its catalyst take place over that long span of time. They might have been able to get away with just compressing everything into a much shorter time span and just starting with the mid-20-year-old Rhaenyra and Alicent castings, but I think it would have been a disservice to the story and the ability to really showcase both of their relationships to not only each other but those around them.

Adding in the facts that the show is expected to run a second season and that the Dance its self only last a couple years, they really would have been light on content if they tried compressing it all too much. I'm actually really curious as to where this first season will end and am actually more concerned with the potential slowing down of the timeline given what's left to come in this story, in a show already being fairly slow to get going.

If I had to guess given the 10-episode GOT structure and where we're at currently,
[half-speculative half-story spoilers below]
We'll see the greens & the blacks start to take shape in the next episode plus Visery's death, or he might go in episode 8, followed by the crowning of Aegon II and the start of the real Dance to end season 1, hopefully including the Blood & Cheese incident by the end, but I could see that being pushed into season 2. It would also make some dramatic sense to end season 1 with Rhaenyra's taking of King's Landing from Aegon, and letting season 2 be all about the fallout from that, but again that would leave a lot less story for season 2 that I have a hard time imagining working well. Who knows.

Last edited:
I thought the last episode was fantastic. Time jump didn’t bother me but I knew about it. Otherwise the series so far is a 7/10.

Being a huge GOT fan, but not a book purist, I had high hopes for HOTD. However, the actors/characters (the ones that they don't change mid-season) just aren't interesting to me. The lack of comedic effect is really zapping a lot of the fun. Tyrion's quick wit, the Hound's deadpan humor, Tormund's craziness - all missing in this show.

Dr Who fans tell me how amazing Matt Smith is, and he's probably a wonderful actor, but his character can't carry the show. For me, that was a lot of the GOT appeal - most of the characters were monsters in one sense, but redeemable in another. This dichotomy and variety kept things interesting. Everyone in HOTD is just an asshole.

My wife loves this show, and she likes overly dramatic shows with plenty of mythical creatures. Perhaps that's their target audience with this one - women who love drama and dragons.

Being a huge GOT fan, but not a book purist, I had high hopes for HOTD. However, the actors/characters (the ones that they don't change mid-season) just aren't interesting to me. The lack of comedic effect is really zapping a lot of the fun. Tyrion's quick wit, the Hound's deadpan humor, Tormund's craziness - all missing in this show.

Dr Who fans tell me how amazing Matt Smith is, and he's probably a wonderful actor, but his character can't carry the show. For me, that was a lot of the GOT appeal - most of the characters were monsters in one sense, but redeemable in another. This dichotomy and variety kept things interesting. Everyone in HOTD is just an asshole.

My wife loves this show, and she likes overly dramatic shows with plenty of mythical creatures. Perhaps that's their target audience with this one - women who love drama and dragons.
Solid review!

There was one thing present in GOT that this new series lacks.
In GOT, beyond all the fighting amongst and between families…there was an uneasy and underlying anticipation that…
Winter is coming, and so are white walkers.

It made for an added side drama the current series doesn’t have.

Liked episode 6 a lot.

I saw something about the younger cast not being in it anymore and got confused as it felt like we had just started.

That said. I thought they did a great job casting the older ones ( apparently they had those actors lined up first)

All in all.. liking the show, just enough tension, very similar to GOT, where you didn't know in each scene what was going to happen or if someones about to get bludgeoned.

There was one thing present in GOT that this new series lacks.
In GOT, beyond all the fighting amongst and between families…there was an uneasy and underlying anticipation that…
Winter is coming, and so are white walkers.

It made for an added side drama the current series doesn’t have.
Well technically the white walkers ARE still coming.

I hate prequels. Most are trash to barely adequate and as you say, no anticipation because you DO know what's coming. IMHO you can never go back in time adequately for that very reason.

I'm liking the show so far. I'm not pulled in as hard as I was with GoT though. The White Walker (Others) is what drew me in from the first episode onward.

So far the acting is excellent but I just don't feel as invested as I did with GoT. I will watch every episode of the series though, because I love this world. I never read the books so I don't carry a lot of the baggage some book readers do but GoT forced me to read hours of the GoT wiki to try and understand this world a bit more beyond the TV show. I can't really say that about any other show. This show doesn't have me rushing to the wiki after an episode to find out more about the characters.

On the other hand, I am enjoying Rings of Power a lot and have been doing some research into that world beyond the 6 movies. The history of that world is extremely complex.

I can never remember to type everything in my brain in one post.

The time jump caught me off guard as I don't do spoilers and don't watch the next episode previews. I also don't watch "previously on" like some shows, I hate that shit. Anywho, I understand why they did it, so I'm not terribly bothered, but this is something GoT would never do.

My only concern with the time jump was no more Milly Alcock, who was pretty amazing as young Rhaenyra, but think for the advancement of the story, it needed to happen.

Would like to see a little bit more humour in the show, to be honest. The original, in its early seasons at least, had plenty of subtle humour around Tyrion, Bron, Jamie and even Theon (especially when he was banging his way through the brothels of The North). Liking the show, but it is all a bit too serious and dry right now.

Time jump & recast doesn't bother me at all personally. It was an inevitability to tell this story, I think.

With some liberties taken due to adaptation, the show picks up ~year 105 AC, and Viserys isn't out of the picture until more than 20 years after that which is when the Dance of the Dragons civil war really starts in earnest, but all the happenings and relationships and dynamics that are its catalyst take place over that long span of time. They might have been able to get away with just compressing everything into a much shorter time span and just starting with the mid-20-year-old Rhaenyra and Alicent castings, but I think it would have been a disservice to the story and the ability to really showcase both of their relationships to not only each other but those around them.

Adding in the facts that the show is expected to run a second season and that the Dance its self only last a couple years, they really would have been light on content if they tried compressing it all too much. I'm actually really curious as to where this first season will end and am actually more concerned with the potential slowing down of the timeline given what's left to come in this story, in a show already being fairly slow to get going.

If I had to guess given the 10-episode GOT structure and where we're at currently,
[half-speculative half-story spoilers below]
We'll see the greens & the blacks start to take shape in the next episode plus Visery's death, or he might go in episode 8, followed by the crowning of Aegon II and the start of the real Dance to end season 1, hopefully including the Blood & Cheese incident by the end, but I could see that being pushed into season 2. It would also make some dramatic sense to end season 1 with Rhaenyra's taking of King's Landing from Aegon, and letting season 2 be all about the fallout from that, but again that would leave a lot less story for season 2 that I have a hard time imagining working well. Who knows.
Nailed it on the head but I think the acting of many of the younger cast acting was so good it makes the switch harder then it otherwise would be.

Yeah, Milly was definitely awesome, and I hope they find some way to flash back to her again by the end or in season 2, though I doubt it'll happen.

Found this helpful https://www.telltalesonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Targaryen-Family-Tree.jpg?_t=1553507779
1665802569740.png

SPOILERS

Did you know

That PCF has a SPOILER feature?

I'm liking the show so far. I'm not pulled in as hard as I was with GoT though. The White Walker (Others) is what drew me in from the first episode onward.

So far the acting is excellent but I just don't feel as invested as I did with GoT. I will watch every episode of the series though, because I love this world. I never read the books so I don't carry a lot of the baggage some book readers do but GoT forced me to read hours of the GoT wiki to try and understand this world a bit more beyond the TV show. I can't really say that about any other show. This show doesn't have me rushing to the wiki after an episode to find out more about the characters.

On the other hand, I am enjoying Rings of Power a lot and have been doing some research into that world beyond the 6 movies. The history of that world is extremely complex.
Andor has been fun to watch too

I'm enjoying Andor more than House of Dragon. Actually, I wouldn't watch HoD if my wife didn't like it.
I don’t like how they have just done a 15 year FFWD I feel it all went on forward a bit much quickly

It’s funny people were saying how lord of the rings was stupid to air the same time as the dragons

IDK

I think the last episode was ok tonight
Not bad
Do better

Overall meh

My ratings and for sure no one agrees
#1 Andor
#2 Rings of power
#3 Dragons
#4 Young Sheldon

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom