Cash Game Button and UTG straddle vs. UTG only (1 Viewer)

Nyrhockey094

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hello!

I have a group of about 15 guys and we rotate houses for a 1/3 game. I hosted once last year using a triton table topper and really enjoyed being the host. Bought a table and will be hosting more in the future.

The rules we play are pretty standard with only a few small variations from house to house:

1/3
200-400/500 buy in (depending on the house)
Reload at anytime and match the stack up to 75%
Run it once/twice (some are run it once only)
Some houses we do bomb pots every 90 min
Straddle to 6, UTG and button, UTG priority

While I do like the button straddle as it mixes it up, I find that as a host (without a dealer, we use rotating player dealer), it is tough to manage. I'm debating on just going to UTG straddle only unless anyone has any recommendations for how to better manage the button straddle?

Thanks.

Feelings about button straddles aside, what about it is tough to manage? You might get better feedback.

I'm in the ATL burbs myself, and all the games I go to have full blown Mississippi straddle (straddle from anywhere), or Button and UTG straddled with Button having priority. No one seems to have any issues with it, but we are all used to it I guess.

Do you do it such that action always starts left of the straddle?

Last edited:
Feelings about button straddles aside, what about it is tough to manage? You might get better feedback.
Button straddle not always being announced or, even when it is, other players not realizing it and acting out of turn.. especially when we are 6-7 hours into a cash game and we start slipping a little. It happens at all locations so I'm thinking of ditching it, even though I like it.
I'm in the ATL burbs myself, and all the haves I go to have full blown Mississippi straddle (straddle from anywhere), or Button and UTG straddled with Button having priority. No one seems to have any issues with it, but we are all used to it I guess.

Do you do it such that action always starts left of the straddle?
Correct. Action always starts to the left of the straddle.

Almost everyone likes it. I just feel like it messes up the flow of the game.

1704930095862.png

Not a fan of straddles from any position other than UTG. Button straddles just mean the small blind and big blinds have to be even nittier. That and UTG straddle has the lowest chance of confusion because it's closest to the natural order.

Not a fan of straddles from any position other than UTG. Button straddles just mean the small blind and big blinds have to be even nittier. That and UTG straddle has the lowest chance of confusion because it's closest to the natural order.
They are wonderful when you are better than everyone you are playing against.

My preference would be to not allow button straddled, but it's a staple in the south.

They are wonderful when you are better than everyone you are playing against.

My preference would be to not allow button straddled, but it's a staple in the south.
Any kind of straddle being on is great when you're better than the competition haha.

Any kind of straddle being on is great when you're better than the competition haha.
Not necessarily. It's actually worse when it makes the stacks too shallow (sub 100bb). They won't make as big of mistakes anymore. I will say the counter to that is that a lot of bad players that won't raise hands in a straddled pot they would raise in a regular pot. And when a straddle to 10 is on in a 1/3 game and 3 people limp and you make it like 55 to go, they all just fold because you "raised so big."

Not necessarily. It's actually worse when it makes the stacks too shallow (sub 100bb). They won't make as big of mistakes anymore. I will say the counter to that is that a lot of bad players that won't raise hands in a straddled pot they would raise in a regular pot. And when a straddle to 10 is on in a 1/3 game and 3 people limp and you make it like 55 to go, they all just fold because you "raised so big."
Eh, while it's true that skill gap matters less as you get shallower, I think effectively doubling (or tripling) the stakes almost always makes up for it. It depends on the players involved and buy-ins obviously. If there's anyone that's still limping once the straddle is on that's a huge bonus for anyone competent.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom