Jacks on the BTN vs an UTG Loose Cannon (1 Viewer)

ngmcs8203

Flush
Reaction score
This is a hand from the other night. We were playing with an optional max 3BB straddle but even when it is on, it only gets splashy when certain players are at the table and they're down. I was card dead for a good portion of the night.

UTG is wild and will raise with top end and just about anything else (suited, double gapped, etc.) from just about any position. Super chatty and goofy until he hits a hand (2pair or better) where he turns serious when action is on him. Will call down light and loves 62.

Hero dealt :js::jc:

UTG ($75) straddle $1, HJ calls, CO calls, Hero ($90) raises $7, UTG 3! $14

This is where I made my mistake. This should have been a 4! jam. I thought about it, and almost did it, but oh well. Now I know.

Hero calls

Flop ($31.75)
:3d::2c::8c:

UTG bets $14

Against this particular opponent, I wasn't expecting a check. His smaller bets are usually a mix of weak pairs and hands with strong implied odds. So I put him on the bigger draws and maybe a smattering of weak pairs, including his 62 hand. I think against most opponents the response needs to be a 4x 3! on a board like this, but not really sure. I felt like I was ahead or flipping against most of his hands and I was card dead... Hey I had the jack of clubs so that eliminates some of his draws! I never make great decisions when I'm card dead. He likes to gambool. Anyway...

Hero goes all-in, UTG snap calls.

At the speed and seriousness of his snap call I knew I was no longer ahead. I've only seen him make serious, snap calls with strong hands.

Turn ($150)
:8d:

River
:ah:

:3h::2h:

I was both surprised and not surprised.

Is this a strategy thread or just a bad beat? Sorry man. You're right that the adjustment happens pre-flop to prevent or atleast charge the goofiness.

Edit: misread, Im wrong, well done!

Last edited:
Is this a strategy thread or just a bad beat? Sorry man. You're right that the adjustment happens pre-flop to prevent or atleast charge the goofiness.
Unless I'm missing something, Jack's won. The second 8 counterfeited the flopped 3/2 two pair

Edit: misread, Im wrong, well done!
Nah I’m not really one to whine about a bad beat unless it was absurd.

I was just posting cuz I thought it was interesting. In this case the correct play wasn’t made preflop, but if I had I would have probably won less money than I did when I made the dummy play. Dumb luck saved me.

I actually end up having a hard time playing in situations where the villain plays wild. Like, I know I want to get it in ahead but against someone who tends to skew their range closer to ATC rather than what is best EV, I usually get too aggressive or too passive. Never somewhere in the middle. I think that’s where a silver with node locking comes in well and where I need to do more studying.

UTG is wild and will raise with top end and just about anything else (suited, double gapped, etc.) from just about any position. Super chatty and goofy until he hits a hand (2pair or better) where he turns serious when action is on him. Will call down light and loves 62.

This means that you place his UTG opening range as much wider than normal, given that hes a loose aggressive player (and weak), but given that he straddled in this hand his opening range is less relevant here.

Hero dealt :js::jc:

UTG ($75) straddle $1, HJ calls, CO calls, Hero ($90) raises $7, UTG 3! $14

I like the open to $7, if theres rake here. With rake we can put in a 5+(no. of callers) BB size opening. UTG 3Bet to 14 is way way too small from him given that he is OOP, but it does the job and gets action behind to fold so it works here i guess. If there is no rake, use a 3+(no. of callers) BB sizing.

This is where I made my mistake. This should have been a 4! jam. I thought about it, and almost did it, but oh well. Now I know.

Flatting with JJ here is okay, given that the EV of a 4B/Flatting IP is about the same. Given SPR, you should never jam here - only better will call.

Hero calls

Flop ($31.75)
:3d::2c::8c:

UTG bets $14

Against this particular opponent, I wasn't expecting a check. His smaller bets are usually a mix of weak pairs and hands with strong implied odds. So I put him on the bigger draws and maybe a smattering of weak pairs, including his 62 hand. I think against most opponents the response needs to be a 4x 3! on a board like this, but not really sure. I felt like I was ahead or flipping against most of his hands and I was card dead... Hey I had the jack of clubs so that eliminates some of his draws! I never make great decisions when I'm card dead. He likes to gambool. Anyway...

Nothing wrong with jamming here given his SPR and the number of potential draws. If you are calling the flop bet you will be calling the turn jam. At the flop, we beat 78s, 89s, AXcc, A5s, A4s, 45s, every flush/straight combo out there which V could have (since you said he is loose aggressive). We lose against 88, QQ, KK, AA, 32s. As you said, its a good decision to deny equity since villain could easily have AXcc, A5s, A4s, 45s and we only block JXcc. If we call, turn pot is 60ish and V will only have 2/3 pot behind. Good play, but you can mix in some folds occasionally depending on Villain.

Hero goes all-in, UTG snap calls.

Nothing. Read the spoiler, seems about right, he was just at the top of his range. Good stuff.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom