What would you do? Fold AKo? (1 Viewer)

I just went back to see what my last 5k hands look like with AKo and AKs. Dealt 67 times and I've lost 100BB twice with it. Once when I got it in versus A4s (I was in the CO and he 5! jammed with A4s in the button) and the second time when I got 4! jammed on by the HJ while I was in the CO. He had 99. The all-in equity adjusted BB won number is 135BB. I've won a total of 26BB in those 67 instances.
Winning just under half a BB per time you get AK sounds pretty good to me. And I'm assuming this is all online play where edges are thinner than in live games. I have no way to calculate how much I've won with AK in my live games, but I'm for sure waaaaaay net positive.

Anyone that thinks they are losing with AK is either neglecting all the times they win small to medium pots with it or is terrible at hold em. And I often find that people that are afraid to get all in with AK pre don't understand how math and odds work.

Thanks for sharing.

Winning just under half a BB per time you get AK sounds pretty good to me. And I'm assuming this is all online play where edges are thinner than in live games. I have no way to calculate how much I've won with AK in my live games, but I'm for sure waaaaaay net positive.

Anyone that thinks they are losing with AK is either neglecting all the times they win small to medium pots with it or is terrible at hold em. And I often find that people that are afraid to get all in with AK pre don't understand how math and odds work.

Thanks for sharing.
Yea that’s all from 50NL and 100NL. I got dealt AK last night, playing 1/2/3 live, 3 times and won the pot twice. Whiffed on the flop in two of the pots. Lost about $50 in one, and won $40 in the other. The third hand I won about $100. +30BB in one night in three hands. Not too bad. Lol

Last edited:
I think you trapped yourself into a call with how you played this hand, I know I would struggle to find the fold in real time as played, but there are some key pieces that should probably lead to a fold in this specific case.

Your large preflop open got a lot of callers. If it's normally 1-2 callers at a smaller size this makes me want to believe your opponents have stronger hands, like pairs, suited Broadways, and Broadway Aces. Some players may also be uncomfortable raising a strong pair such as JJ or QQ vs your larger sizing and a larger field because they may be pot commiting with a raise and don't want to stack off if you 4 bet.

On the flop I would never be checking. You have top top in a very multiway situation with a flush draw available. You can get value from worse. The nut flush draw is likely a dominated Ace that may pay off even when they miss. You can easily fold if a heart comes in vs 4 players because they will almost always have you beat in this configuration. If you get raised on the flop you narrow ranges down to a set or nut flush draw and determine if you're getting the right price.

Checking doesn't eliminate any of your opponents' range. After the preflop raiser and another player check, the 2x pot jam I don't even think becomes polar in this configuration vs a capable player. It could be a set, it could be nut flush draw that doesn't like their kicker (AT, AJ) it could be a combo draw like JT or 78, it could be AQ or AK, it could be JJ or TT trying to steal. I think I'm probably calling a lot as played because the deception plan worked, but I think you were hoping to check raise or check call a smaller size. I would bet to get more info, because I can bet fold here sometimes, and using a smaller preflop size might have also revealed more info about the opponents hand strengths.

Wonder what this thread would have looked like if . . . .
a) Hero didn't disclose the results before discussions. Or,
b) Hero has seen villain turn over Ax of hearts and won the pot.

Somehow, I think the discussion would have been substantially different without people knowing how Hero's line worked out.

Please don't taint future threads by posting the results so soon. -=- DrStrange

Somehow, I think the discussion would have been substantially different without people knowing how Hero's line worked out.

My responses would have been the same. When I coach baseball, especially at the younger ages, I always stress how important your feet are when you swing or throw and spend a lot of time making sure kids start with a good base. Preflop is your base of a poker hand. The rest of the hand is irrelevant if you don't fix your preflop play.

I think mine would have been the same too, though I did deliberately first post without reading the spoiler or other comments.

I also think it's fair to say most comments on this thread did not advocate for the action one would take with the benefit of hindsight.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom