Happy Thanksgiving! (1 Viewer)

It's only 10 here but we're starting to prep. Bird still in the brine roasted veg ready to go.
IMG_2088.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2087.JPG
    IMG_2087.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 41
That is awesome!!! ...but am I misreading this? Did your 5-year old run a 5k averaging 7:44 per mile???
That was my finish. To be fair she's almost six and it's tough to say exactly where she was: she cut the turnaround which saved a few hundred feet and cut across people's lawns on a few turns. She also finished behind me because I sprinted ahead at the end to snap a picture of her crossing, but F* me, it was so cold my phone had turned off so I didn't get one. :( Putting it all together I'd probably put her in the mid eights.

They do a walking day once a week at school where kids try to walk a mile on the track with various special walkers: police officers, firefighters, mascots etc. On days when she's not screwing around with her friends (which is most of them) she'll run with the pack of runners and they consistently hit 6 or 7 laps in the 15-18 minutes they have. She'll pace me on 5-6 mile runs with her bike and at the end I'm dying but she throws her bike down and go and runs around in the backyard for another 30 minutes.

But having said all that I really don't want to encourage her to run road races until she's older. Once a year is fine but kids joints aren't all developed so I'm concerned about what an actual training regimen would do. A mile and a half on the school track is not the same as a mile and a half on concrete, especially if done every few days. As long as she's having fun and doing healthy things we'll support her the best we can. But as any parent with kids knows - next week I could ask if she wants to go run two miles with me and she'll shrug, roll her eyes and say "BOR-RING."

That was my finish. To be fair she's almost six and it's tough to say exactly where she was: she cut the turnaround which saved a few hundred feet and cut across people's lawns on a few turns. She also finished behind me because I sprinted ahead at the end to snap a picture of her crossing, but F* me, it was so cold my phone had turned off so I didn't get one. :( Putting it all together I'd probably put her in the mid eights.

They do a walking day once a week at school where kids try to walk a mile on the track with various special walkers: police officers, firefighters, mascots etc. On days when she's not screwing around with her friends (which is most of them) she'll run with the pack of runners and they consistently hit 6 or 7 laps in the 15-18 minutes they have. She'll pace me on 5-6 mile runs with her bike and at the end I'm dying but she throws her bike down and go and runs around in the backyard for another 30 minutes.

But having said all that I really don't want to encourage her to run road races until she's older. Once a year is fine but kids joints aren't all developed so I'm concerned about what an actual training regimen would do. A mile and a half on the school track is not the same as a mile and a half on concrete, especially if done every few days. As long as she's having fun and doing healthy things we'll support her the best we can. But as any parent with kids knows - next week I could ask if she wants to go run two miles with me and she'll shrug, roll her eyes and say "BOR-RING."

That's great stuff. How exciting. They grow up fast! My daughter is 15 years old now. She's Only been running for a year and a half and can beat me (I'm 47). She runs cross country and is under 23.5 minutes for a 5k on trails.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom