What video games are you playing? (3 Viewers)

No love for Baldurs Gate 3?
I don't really have much time for gaming since we had the kids but this game takes up most of my free evenings. :)

I’m about 60 hours in to BG3, and wish I had more time for it. It’s completely amazing.

Got it on release, but I am just so overwhelmed by it all. I get stuck on fights and without a D&D background, I'm not nearly as resourceful or creative as the game wants you to be. I'll probably start over again when my gaming plate is pretty empty, allowing me to really dive in headfirst.

I'm at just the wrong age for Pokemon, as I was 15-16 when it came out. But I just got the new Dragon Quest Monsters Dark Prince seeing as in a long time Dragon Quest fan. It's my first foray into this type of game of you don't count something like Persona 3, which has some similar things going on. DQM isn't great from a performance/technical pov, but the systems, voice acting, and charm are all there in spades.

From what I understand, while it had the collect em all thing going on, it's systems are vastly different than Pokemon. It's geared toward fusing and learning for to best use the fusion system to min max. As not only are you fusing to get certain monsters, but also to upgrade certain skill sets.
Never to old for pokemon lol I love their tcg online, used to be better but still good.

No love for Baldurs Gate 3?
I don't really have much time for gaming since we had the kids but this game takes up most of my free evenings. :)

I’m about 60 hours in to BG3, and wish I had more time for it. It’s completely amazing.
Just downloaded it, have a little time hopefully tomorrow to check it out

Got it on release, but I am just so overwhelmed by it all. I get stuck on fights and without a D&D background, I'm not nearly as resourceful or creative as the game wants you to be. I'll probably start over again when my gaming plate is pretty empty, allowing me to really dive in headfirst.
That's the beauty of it. You can be as creative as you like but you can also just straight up run towards the enemy and hit them with a big sword.
To sneak up to and pickpocket an enemy boss and place a magic nullifying flower into their bag so that they can't use spells in the upcoming fight is just a pretty fun option to have.

I don’t like games where I’m forced to act quickly and make fast actions with keyboard or controller. I prefer games where I can take my time, explore and strategize. Baldurs Gate 3 is perfect for this.

What I’m also learning is that there are many ways to complete a battle…and the game will often place things to help in the fight, you just need to think outside of just running in and trying to mow your opponents down. Hiding from them, luring them out and setting traps are great. There’s so much left open for you to be creative.

Then there’s the fact that if you absolutely cannot complete a battle, you may simply not be advanced enough yet. There’s so many side quests, that you can do some of them and level up, then return to a battle you struggled with earlier.

I don’t like games where I’m forced to act quickly and make fast actions with keyboard or controller. I prefer games where I can take my time, explore and strategize. Baldurs Gate 3 is perfect for this.

What I’m also learning is that there are many ways to complete a battle…and the game will often place things to help in the fight, you just need to think outside of just running in and trying to mow your opponents down. Hiding from them, luring them out and setting traps are great. There’s so much left open for you to be creative.

Then there’s the fact that if you absolutely cannot complete a battle, you may simply not be advanced enough yet. There’s so many side quests, that you can do some of them and level up, then return to a battle you struggled with earlier.

You might enjoy Xcom 2 and Wasteland 3, both turn-based content

Art of a rally, it's a real declaration of love from the developers to the sport.

I haven't played BG3 yet, it's on my list to eventually get. The last RPG I had played was Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous but I stopped around Act IV I think it was as it became kind of a slog.

I just recently fired up Cyberpunk 2077 again. I had played it when it originally came out and chose the Street Kid path, this time around trying out the Corpo path plus seeing all the changes/updates they've made to the system.

Wishing I had more than an RTX 3070 8GB and a Ryzen 3900XT to play it though, would love to crank the graphics up even more but the slowdown would be too much.

But the adrenaline rush lol your missing out xD

Never to old for pokemon lol I love their tcg online, used to be better but still good.
I was just at the wrong point in my life for it. It was aimed at a slightly younger crowd. Collecting everything for the sake of it has never appealed to me.

But speaking of JRPGs that are great, I did 100% Sea of Stars. And that was a great experience. Also didn't take a crazy amount of time to do it.

That's the beauty of it. You can be as creative as you like but you can also just straight up run towards the enemy and hit them with a big sword.
To sneak up to and pickpocket an enemy boss and place a magic nullifying flower into their bag so that they can't use spells in the upcoming fight is just a pretty fun option to have.
Divinity: Original Sin II was big with this creativity as well. Very tactical battles where the environment is fully interactable in any way with whatever is provided around you. Larian is a great studio and I'm glad they brought everything over from D:OS2 to BG3.

Divinity: Original Sin II was big with this creativity as well. Very tactical battles where the environment is fully interactable in any way with whatever is provided around you. Larian is a great studio and I'm glad they brought everything over from D:OS2 to BG3.

EVERY battle was an annoying setup in DVII OS. You needed to have foreknowledge or you'd find your party ambushed, all clumped together and getting wrecked by AOE spells plus poison, oil, fire, etc from puddles or barrels around you

Meanwhile the enemy would all be spread out and have high ground

It was like your DM just hated you

The story, characters and voice acting were top notch, but the combat became such a slog I quit shortly into Act IV

EVERY battle was an annoying setup in DVII OS. You needed to have foreknowledge or you'd find your party ambushed, all clumped together and getting wrecked by AOE spells plus poison, oil, fire, etc from puddles or barrels around you

Meanwhile the enemy would all be spread out and have high ground

It was like your DM just hated you

The story, characters and voice acting were top notch, but the combat became such a slog I quit shortly into Act IV
Yeah I noticed those issues combat too but it was still a fine overall experience for me and I liked the challenge. I'm just not as much into RPG's anymore like I used to, and am much more into tactical strategy instead.

I did start playing KOTOR1 a while ago and it's been great as long as I keep track of the story between gaps in playtime.

I'm at just the wrong age for Pokemon, as I was 15-16 when it came out. But I just got the new Dragon Quest Monsters Dark Prince seeing as in a long time Dragon Quest fan. It's my first foray into this type of game of you don't count something like Persona 3, which has some similar things going on. DQM isn't great from a performance/technical pov, but the systems, voice acting, and charm are all there in spades.

From what I understand, while it had the collect em all thing going on, it's systems are vastly different than Pokemon. It's geared toward fusing and learning for to best use the fusion system to min max. As not only are you fusing to get certain monsters, but also to upgrade certain skill sets.
I'm a huge Dragon Quest fan of the main series. I've played 1 through 11 multiple times each (not including 10 since it was never released outside of Japan and I haven't gotten around to learning Japanese). I've never really gotten into most of the spinoffs though other than Dragon Quest Builders 1 and 2. I was thinking about giving this one a chance though.

I'm a huge Dragon Quest fan of the main series. I've played 1 through 11 multiple times each (not including 10 since it was never released outside of Japan and I haven't gotten around to learning Japanese). I've never really gotten into most of the spinoffs though other than Dragon Quest Builders 1 and 2. I was thinking about giving this one a chance though.
I've enjoyed it thoroughly. It is also the first DQ spinoff I've played.

I too have beaten all the mainline games. Though I've only done 6-9 once each. I've beaten 3 at least a dozen times over all the various platforms it's been on. And I was one of the rare people that got a copy of DW4 when it came out back in the day on the NES.

I 100%ed DQ11, with the exception of making all the armor and such because that's a massive waste of time. I've been slowly going through it again with the definitive edition and going back and forth from 2d and 3d. Probably in my top 10 video games of all time.

I 100%ed DQ11, with the exception of making all the armor and such because that's a massive waste of time. I've been slowly going through it again with the definitive edition and going back and forth from 2d and 3d. Probably in my top 10 video games of all time.
And post game content that was actually engaging and challenging. Not common in RPGs.

I'm still playing mostly COD MW3 and MWZ Zombies. Bought Quake Live because it's on the Steam sale for $3. Similar to old school Quake 3.

The kids got video games for most of the 'important' presents. My 15yo got the Meta Quest 3 (formerly Oculus) and sold his Meta Quest 2 to my 10yo. My 12yo got the Meta Quest 2 last year for Christmas. Last night they were playing Gorilla tag together for a few hours. When I went to bed, had to tell them to quiet down.

15yo bought Mortal Kombat 1 aside from a few Meta Quest games that I don't remember the names of.

My 12yo got Hyrule Warriors which is a Zelda spinoff.

I have been playing my Steam Deck so much that I was getting tendinitis. So my solution to this was to gift my wife Bauldur’s Gate 3 and now I don’t have to worry about touching the Steam Deck for quite some time!

In the beginning of BG3, I was save-scumming on an absolute epic scale…I just wanted to experience the whole game. However, I realized that it’s actually better to go into situations without knowing everything.
Makes for a better, spontaneous experience.

I'm torn between finally playing Elden Ring and trying to finish Dragon Quest Monsters. Throwing in some Tiny Rogues for good measure.

I'm torn between finally playing Elden Ring and trying to finish Dragon Quest Monsters. Throwing in some Tiny Rogues for good measure.
It’s been months since I played and I started back yesterday, having to relearn the keybinds, but falling back in to the grove.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom