The LEGO Thread (3 Viewers)

hdgeno

Full House
Reaction score
As a kid, playing with Lego was one of the main things my brother and I did in winters (well that and hockey). We had some sets but a lot of what we had was bulk bricks and imagination. When I left my parents' house as a young man I unfortunately left all the Lego there, and it ended up all being sold when they moved out of country for a while. In hindsight I wish my brother and I had kept the Lego, but both of us didn't care at the time I suppose.

Over the past few years my in-laws have always given a small Lego City set to the men in the family, which we build together at the family get together. It's an enjoyable way to pass time, the kids usually get some too, so it's kind of a family thing I guess.

Now that I have a son I've been thinking of the future, and Lego is something I would like him to enjoy as well. It's something we could do together, and it's a better way (imo) to pass time than video games or TV. There's some really cool videos on YouTube of giant Lego Castles, and this is the direction I'm probably headed when it comes to Lego. With the internet, there is access to sourcing large amounts of bricks to build big castles with tons of mini-figs to create some pretty epic scenes.

With time I expect to sell any poker I don't actually NEED (keep only 1 cash set and 1 tournament set) and put the money from chips into bricks. There is not enough of a poker playing base here to have regular games, and I'm looking for ways to be involved in a hobby with my son.

Anybody else here have a Lego hobby now or in the past?

Best Christmas gift I got this year:

IMG_20191229_233820.jpg

Lego is another hobby of mine and my son has caught the bug. We built lots of stuff together. The latest was the gingerbread house. Here's some of mine and my son's stuff combined. I have a few more modular in boxes waiting to be built when I have time.

20191226_151350.jpg

Best Christmas gift I got this year:

View attachment 386684
Lego is another hobby of mine and my son has caught the bug. We built lots of stuff together. The latest was the gingerbread house. Here's some of mine and my son's stuff combined. I have a few more modular in boxes waiting to be built when I have time.

View attachment 386697

My wife bought me some for Christmas as well, she said I was more thrilled with the gifts than any other she’s given me lol.

Our son is only a little over 5 months, so it will be awhile before he gets it. Hopefully he does and we can share a fun hobby together.

My boys were Lego diehards until the past year or two. The only lego set this Christmas was the Mack Anthem. They are transitioning to electronics and away from toys.

If anybody is looking to buy some, all my boys' old sets are complete with instructions and boxes. We have volcano, swamp, Batman movie, Ninjago movie, city, 3in1, all sorts. I even have a couple of my 1980s sets (castle, gas station, space station) too.

I love Legos, but some of these have to go!

The Mack Anthem is killer.

If anybody is looking to buy some, all my boys' old sets are complete with instructions and boxes. We have volcano, swamp, Batman movie, Ninjago movie, city, 3in1, all sorts. I even have a couple of my 1980s sets (castle, gas station, space station) too.

My son loves Lego (the cars especially). Finding a reliable source of used sets would be great. If you have any vehicles, I'd be interested. I'm also curious if the castle is the same one I had from the 80s....

I'll check on cars. We have the VW Bus/Van set, and the Mini Cooper. No clue if my kids are willing to part with those yet. Also have some smaller vehicle sets, like surfer van and some others.

My boys were Lego diehards until the past year or two. The only lego set this Christmas was the Mack Anthem. They are transitioning to electronics and away from toys.

I love Legos, but some of these have to go!

The Mack Anthem is killer.

Dibs on anything Castle!

I am a big fan of Lego. Best toy ever. I mostly just free build, usually of characters:

View attachment 386776View attachment 386769View attachment 386770View attachment 386778View attachment 386768

I think it’s cool how much expression you can get out of a few bricks.

I’ve also built a few gen 1 transformers (they actually transform):
View attachment 386772View attachment 386774View attachment 386777View attachment 386775View attachment 386771
View attachment 386773
are you trying to tell me you built all of this with no instructions>?

are you trying to tell me you built all of this with no instructions>?

Yeah, there are no instructions for any of these builds.

Some of my builds I’ve recreated from a picture found on LEGO fan websites. The monkey is one of those. There’s some transformer LEGO pictures out there, too. But I’m not aware of any instructions out there.

I wouldn’t say I’m the most creative builder but I’m generally pretty decent at being able to figure out how to recreate something if I see a picture of it. And some of my builds are based on recreating from a picture.

That said, all the justice league characters were all just free built without any pictures or instructions. Maybe 60-100 pieces on each of them. Once you see the basic template — the body is essentially just on 2x4 plate — you just create around that. I just love how you can make funny expressions from simple pieces like a brick with a hole in it or a 1x1 plate turned sideways.

Looking at the date of the pic on my phone, these builds are 7 years old. There were a bunch of fan builds around that time making cute little figures like my justice league guys, and a bunch of cube dudes. I built a ton of cube dudes, too, but can’t find pics on this phone. But here’s a pic I found on the web of my favorites — Jules and Vincent from pulp fiction:
F574A882-7786-428D-A8B3-53354EF09766.jpeg

If you search LEGO cube dudes you’ll probably be able to find builds of almost every character from pop culture.

After seeing the popularity of these kinds of builds online, LEGO started selling similar sets a few years ago called brickheadz:

067BFB66-C535-47B0-8483-68AA49C57D12.jpeg

I just never really liked these as much. The cube dude and my justice league builds just do more with less, in my opinion.

So I guess it should not at all be surprising that a bunch of adults obsessed with poker chips (essentially toys) also love Lego!

@hdgeno I’m the same as a lot of these other responses - besides outdoor activities I’m pretty sure me and my son spent more time building Legos anything else. Christmases and birthdays were always tons of Lego sets.

Bricklink.com

You can buy pretty much anything there... by the piece, by the set, just minifigs, etc.

Oh damn. My daughter loves "make a tower!" with her mega blocks, so I'm assuming lego will be the next progression in a few years.

Wonder if I should buy one of the 911 RSR or GT3 kits to you know...make sure the site is reputable.

I loved Legos as a kid, and my son is really into them now. But he mostly just builds them per the instructions and puts them on the shelf. He doesn't play with them or build stuff from scratch as much as I did growing up. It's just not his thing. I used to have to help him a little bit with the builds, but he's a wiz now. About a year ago he built the Saturn V by himself except for a couple times where my wife or I had to help him hold something to put it together.

IMG_20181202_154546934.jpg

How is Bricklink for "renting" sets? Shipping costs might eat into it a bit but I'm wondering about buying, building and then selling afterwards. Seems like there is lots of inventory so you'd need to be pretty commited to having a good price to move it shortly after.

Love Legos. I experienced LEGO trauma as a child, and vowed to right the universe by showering my kids with Legos (many legos). We had two LEGO tables for building, which were never adequate... With my kids‘ waning interest in Legos, we set out to rebuild all our sets, organize them, bag them up for storage, etc... we’ve been at it for over a year, and only gotten through half the sets. However, as more sets get built, it becomes easier to find the pieces...

I did look at bricklink.com over the holidays (before posting this thread) but it’s really overwhelming at first.

The main thing that interests me at this point is to source parts and mini-figs to free build castle themes. Seeing some of the vids on YouTube certainly didn’t help!

At this point I don’t even really know enough to start buying, but I do plan on doing some research and formulating some ideas in my brain so that once I do start buying I’m putting together the right parts. I feel like if I get enough parts together and build something smaller I’ll have a better idea of sourcing more to expand concepts/structures.

This is on my desk at work. Hidden (sorta) behind my monitors.

FE23171F-D0CD-4CE6-9C47-B71F9BF46C5E.jpeg

My Son loves Lego. Not as much now as he did when he was younger but he has tons of sets built and on the shelves of his room and in the basement. His main areas are Star Wars, Ninjago & Jurassic Park but has several other random sets as well.

Great idea for a thread.

Oh that’s right. Years ago I signed up for some online LEGO tracking site, where you enter the set number in, and it tracks the number of overall pieces, mini rugs, etc... I remember it reaching 30k pieces before we stopped tracking. It got a bit much.

How is Bricklink for "renting" sets? Shipping costs might eat into it a bit but I'm wondering about buying, building and then selling afterwards. Seems like there is lots of inventory so you'd need to be pretty commited to having a good price to move it shortly after.
Not perfect, as I think it’s hard to sell on bricklink without massive inventory. But I was never really looking at sets on there, I was just looking at individual pieces. Maybe you could sell one set at a time in there. At a minimum, I’d think you could sell the set on eBay when you are done. Fees and shipping would eat into the costs but you could recoup some of the purchase cost that way.

I have a buddy who treats lego like a poker bankroll. He looks for limited edition sets and buys as many as he can when they go on sale. His spare room is full of unopened boxes. He then sells them on eBay or elsewhere for a profit when they have been sold out for a while. He focuses on the ones he knows will be in demand in the future like Star Wars and the space lego. He then uses his profits to buy more but also buys from bricklink for the custom sets that he wants - this doesn't always work out since he bought all the pieces for the ultimate edition Millennium Falcon which was sold out for many years but they recently re-released.

His front room - he'd just taken delivery of a bunch more sets:
IMG_3496.jpg

Absolutely love Lego. I can't get enough of it. Mostly I collect the Architecture series but both of my kids liked building when they were younger.
My son has most of the speed series and his favorite is the Ferrari F40 from a few years ago.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom