What are you NOT listening to? (AKA Your most hated songs of all time.) (1 Viewer)

Lou Reed is pretty widely covered in the US. He's adored by the rock generation that followed him. There are prominent covers of his, although not mainstream hits.

REM does at least 2 covers
Cowboy Junkies
Jane's Addiction
Nirvana
Nick Cave
Bowie
Joy Division
The Feelies
Yo La Tengo

Just off the top of my head.

At one point, Penn Jillette wanted to play Velvet Underground covers, so he put together a band. He convinced Lou Reed to sing for them. The ultimate frontman for a VU tribute band.

Right but as you said, those covers aren't by mainstream artists the broad public would recognize as "respectable" (with the exception of Bowie). My point was that in the UK Lou's work is revered and accepted by the mainstream in a way it isn't here.

You're missing out brother. It's a special experience.

Do you want me to make you a mix tape of all the songs ITT? I can be sure to include this one - it's an all-timer for sure.

I did have a nightmare of someone putting together a Spotify playlist of all the responses here to play on a loop at next year's BBotB.

I must be missing something. Other than the ear-bleeding jingle (that thankfully I've never heard in the Nashville area), I've found a lot of good music in this thread.

Tori Amos is so hot, she could beat a cat to death with her fallboard, and I would be happy to watch from the front row or backstage... again.

That fucking duet with Kiki Dee and Elton John. I refuse to even type the name of it.

I love Tori. Little Earthquakes is somewhere in my top 20 albums of all time.
Dude, I hope you're not lying because I'll feel lame as shit, but I feel exactly the same.

Winter still makes me tear up sometimes.

Edit: After reading this, still feel pretty fuckin lame. Now I need to find something tasteless to put on the WTF thread to grow my balls back. [emoji41]

Dude, I hope you're not lying because I'll feel lame as shit, but I feel exactly the same.

Edit: After reading this, still feel pretty fuckin lame. Now I need to find something tasteless to put on the WTF thread to grow my balls back. [emoji41]

Honestly I can see the allure of Tori Amos but I'm sure I'm one of many guys whose high school girlfriends forever ruined Tori by being super over dramatic super fans of hers.

Although I do remember getting s confused boner seeing that pig suckle her tit in the Boys For Pele album sleeve. I'm sure that indicates I'm fucked up in some way but that's no news.

Nope, not lying. Probably only two songs on the album that I don't love with Happy Phantom being my favorite.

Honestly I can see the allure of Tori Amos but I'm sure I'm one of many guys whose high school girlfriends forever ruined Tori by being super over dramatic super fans of hers.

Although I do remember getting s confused boner seeing that pig suckle her tit in the Boys For Pele album sleeve. I'm sure that indicates I'm fucked up in some way but that's no news.

Nice humble brag Mr. I hadagirlfriendinhighschool. You're insufferable ;)

Somehow, someway I've never heard "Let It Go" and I intend to keep it that way.

I have only heard a 20 second snippet of @guinness' kid singing it on Facebook. I remember the cute kid, not the song. I hope I'm done hearing it for life.

I did have a nightmare of someone putting together a Spotify playlist of all the responses here to play on a loop at next year's BBotB.

This will have to be done against the wishes of management if we're moving the event back to my house. I don't want this to happen, and now I'm living in fear of @courage and @H|Q plotting against us all.

Brag: had a high school girlfriend.
Beat: her favorite song was "we don't have to take our clothes off"
Variance: pregnancy scare was just a scare.

The real beat was how long ago high school was.

My Sharona.

You all are worse than a sewing circle.

The Kid Rock creative brainstorming meeting went something like this

"We should create an iconic tune. A classic that will resonate through the ages, forty, fifty years and beyond. A song that will transcend generations, be loved by listeners now and that will still be relevant to my great-great grandchildren..."

"Yeah dood but it'd be way easier to kill off two rock classics by mashing them up."

"Yeah let's totally do that instead."

I was gonna add that if I ever meet Kid Rock I'll stick a fork up my urethra and fuk his eyes out - too violent for the Sabbath..?

fallboard

Thanks for teaching me fallboard, I think this is the second time in my life I've learned of it's definition and now hope to remember it htis time. lol Seriously, had to google it, felt stupid.

Very nice.

The real beat was how long ago high school was.

I've been struggling with some stuff recently and this realization is one of them, lol. 1997 for me. I can't believe how fast time has started going, I'm going to be 40 in a few years and it is absolutely blowing my fucking mind. I keep waiting to feel like an adult and so far I still could do a lot of the stupid shit I did in my past but my hair has thinned and started to grey and a 20 year high school reunion is around the corner while I'm still doing fishtails on empty roads and think more about golf and snowboarding than I do my small business sometimes... Terrifying. lol :D

I used to laugh at the thought of a "mid life crisis" and figured it was just one of those made up words that would never happen to me...now I'm not only wondering if I'll make it to 80 but I'm starting to want a red Corvette, a neck tattoo, and maybe start an affair to round out the trifecta. :( ;)

edit: typos onm y phone

Heard the beginning of this song on the radio the other day and was disappointed I had left my icepick at home so I could not burst my eardrums.

Heard the beginning of this song on the radio the other day and was disappointed I had left my icepick at home so I could not burst my eardrums.

I won one of my first prop bets - in high school long before I played poker seriously - against a guy who swore this was ELO. This was pre-smartphones and pre-Google so we actually had to find the record in the jukebox in the diner, but I won that $20 dammit.

I won one of my first prop bets - in high school long before I played poker seriously - against a guy who swore this was ELO. This was pre-smartphones and pre-Google so we actually had to find the record in the jukebox in the diner, but I won that $20 dammit.
Dude, you should have known from those late night infomercials that ran the song titles down the screen. They were like 5 disc anthologies of the 70's.

If I heard the snippets of Diamond Girl and Bad, Bad Leroy Brown one more time, I would've hung myself from my bedroom window with my bedsheet, prison style.

Most Bon Jovi & John Mellencamp songs, especially 'You Give Love a Bad Name' and 'Small Town'

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom