John Law Comes a Knocking - Your Action (2 Viewers)

Why would I answer the door? Get fucked.
1710363282147.gif

I have had police show up at my game (while working) one time. Even though I put all important game info in the texts to the players, they actually need to read it all for it to be useful.

Parking is only on one side of the street here (non hydrant side) and one of the guys parked on the wrong side. Officers came knocking on my door because they figured with the driveway full of cars as well, that it was probably the house where the driver is.

They were being nice and wanted to give the driver a chance to move it before it got ticketed.

They didn’t ask any questions about what we were doing, didn’t try to come inside or anything nefarious.

After the wrong side Parker came back in we gave him plenty of shit over the whole thing.

But people here are always worried about these law issues.
The source of that anxiety might be the undeserved amount of attention that the topic receives compared to the actual risk.

The silent but vast majority of us are going about our days, probably tipping our hosts, definitely tipping our dealers, not getting raided at a lol 50¢ social game.

The source of that anxiety might be the undeserved amount of attention that the topic receives compared to the actual risk.

The silent but vast majority of us are going about our days, probably tipping our hosts, definitely tipping our dealers, not getting raided at a lol 50¢ social game.
Yeah that’s a good point.

2 points…

1. In my state, having a home poker game is not against the law as long as the “house” isn’t charging a fee or taking a rake.

2. Doorbell cam. Talk through the doorbell. You are not required to open the door.

That’s why I keep the local police on my payroll….but seriously, most our games (we rotate) are filled with local police, swat and even a DEA agent. Sweethearts, but can’t play a lick of cards. We even throw a couple big tournaments a year at the local FOP hall.

I would never let the police in my house without a warrant. And I’ve taught my kids from day one, if you get arrested or picked up for any reason, the only thing out of your mouth needs to be lawyer, whether your innocent or not.

Are home games in other states really this much of a worry?
Absolutely not, but it allows the usual suspects to vent their hatr…tolerance, and tell their “this one time…” stories.

Holy crap! But apparently effective.....
I remember seeing this. IIRC, the neighbors and police had been harassing the woman. I don’t remember why. But the officer lied and the police didn’t actually have a warrant. Go figure.

The police can lie to you all they want. But I have a camera. And I wouldn’t open the door without seeing a warrant.

***********************************************************************Ok kids, I’ve gone over this in my head countless times since the substantive conversation that ensued on the podcast and rest assured The Godfather Club has a protocol in place for just such an event. Additionally, if the house is detained, all players understand what they would be required to do if they’re somehow in a position to answer my door. They shouldn’t be answering my door and I’m never detained.

So, what say you?
Ask for a warrant, if it's not there, the conversation is shut down.

If you are honest and innocent, that's only half the equation in this interaction. Inviting the officer in is to invite a fishing expedition, and there is no way you should have that level of trust in a stranger, or anyone with the ability to do you harm.

Where do I find the podcast?

Raking a game is definitively different than asking for donations to cover food and beverage in MN.
True. This is also how I read Minnesota Law, but not everyone will so I do think @upNdown 's point is actually well taken. When I took gaming law in college, home poker was a topic of one of my papers, and I remember researching a suggestion was have anyone other than the host manage money for incidentals, just to have that extra deliniation. Not advice I have followed, I usually collect for orders and such.

(All of that being said, if it were up to me, there would be nothing wrong with raking home games so long as all players understand and agree to terms. Let's also say I am certainly aware of a couple such games operating and have no problem with their existence. My games and the games I play in mostly have a good tipping culture. Though I admit my expectation for tips is very low.)

There have certainly been more than a few detailed threads on this happening to PCFers. It may not happen often, but it's horrifying when it does.

Much like fire, most people live their whole lives without ever being in one, but it's better to have a plan and not need it, than to not have a plan and end up needing it.

All that said, I am very aware that law enforcement in my jurisdiction is not into harassing residents and risk to my home game is minimal to near non-existent.

Are home games in other states really this much of a worry?
There was a nasty thread about how much a PCFer in Virgina lost to a raid. There are a few states that crack down on this from time to time.

My players are cool, but my concern would be a rat somehow getting into the game and then running to the cops, so I try and stay as above board as possible for that reason.

This is why everyone parks on Rose Lane and walks over (@MatB - Rose Lane Reg).

Seriously tho, I’ll check the ring camera and talk through there but I’m not opening my front door and even if I do my security door is locked and they aren’t getting through without a battering ram. Never going outside because that would involve enabling them to push past me if they wanted. Sorry. Get a warrant, I’ll let you right in and pour you a beer if you want.

Ask for a warrant, if it's not there, the conversation is shut down.

If you are honest and innocent, that's only half the equation in this interaction. Inviting the officer in is to invite a fishing expedition, and there is no way you should have that level of trust in a stranger, or anyone with the ability to do you harm.

Where do I find the podcast?
This is why I would never invite them in without a warrant. Non poker related, I had a drug addict of a cousin. The police stopped by to talk to him and his sister answered the door. No parents home but the sister was 18. She invited them in to talk to him and they went thru the whole house opening cabinets and drawers. Didn’t need a warrant because they were invited in.

This is why I would never invite them in without a warrant. Non poker related, I had a drug addict of a cousin. The police stopped by to talk to him and his sister answered the door. No parents home but the sister was 18. She invited them in to talk to him and they went thru the whole house opening cabinets and drawers. Didn’t need a warrant because they were invited in.
I’d argue they still need a warrant. Letting them in doesn’t imply consent to search. If it’s in plain view they can act on it but they sure as hell can’t go through cabinets and drawers without a warrant or express consent.

I’d argue they still need a warrant. Letting them in doesn’t imply consent to search. If it’s in plain view they can act on it but they sure as hell can’t go through cabinets and drawers without a warrant or express consent.
No doubt. That happened on All in the family. Archie got off.

You can argue theory all you want, but there certainly are cops that will have different opinions or just not care.

So many people have the right to remain silent…

Yet, so many people won’t shut the fuck up…

You don’t even have to state that your have the right to remain silent. Just lock eyes with them and don’t speak. They’ll figure it out…

Correct….they didn’t find anything so we won’t know. But I’d argue if they did, they would have said it was in plain sight and get a warrant then. It would be up to you to argue it wasn’t.

Same reason police use the old “crossed the yellow line” or “didn’t use a turn signal” to pull you over to check you out.

And I love the police and a majority of my friends are some type of LE. I also know reality.

I think you should apply the same general rule any time you have to interact with a cop. Be as polite as you can. Don't answer any questions, or volunteer any information. Don't ever consent to a search of your home or vehicle. Don't let them in your house. If you decide you have to talk to them try to do it through the door, or quickly exit with the door locked behind you and speak outside (they may barge past you so I wouldn't recommend it). If they say they have a warrant, ask to see it. If they don't have a warrant and they're not detaining or arresting you (mostly) can tell them to go kick rocks. Politely. Sucks you have to behave that way, but even if you're doing nothing illegal you can make trouble for yourself by being too friendly.

You can argue theory all you want, but there certainly are cops that will have different opinions or just not care.
I agree with you there. I’ve also made that same argument to judges before and have dismiss the case against my client because they had no evidence without the illegal search.
The useful truth is that you’re both right.
You might be 100% legally correct to say to a cop, “you can’t search there, you don’t have my consent or a warrant.” But if the cop searches there anyway and finds your contraband, you’re getting arrested. And you might get held pending trial. Even if you don’t get held, you might still lose your job, if you make the news. You’ll be free and clear a few months later, when your lawyer suppresses the illegal search and your case is dismissed.

But after you’ve been arrested, possibly held in jail, possibly lost your job, and gone through the stress of multiple court dates and the expense of paying a lawyer, tell me again who was right?

There’s a bunch of great advice in here. The only thing I haven’t seen yet is to load up on extra tinfoil. However, after reading a bunch of these posts, I’m worried there might be a shortage.

I've been playing with mostly the same group of guys for the past 40 years starting in 9th grade. One of the regulars in now the chief of police for our town, so I'm sending him to answer if there is a knock at the door. lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom