St Joe's chips - scammed by @5aces (12 Viewers)

That sucks, man. It seems fair that you get your money back.

Yes, unless there is another side to the story we haven’t heard yet, this seems to be the answer. Of course if there is that other side that convinces me otherwise, I am willing to change my opinion.

Even if the OP knew there were cracks he should still get refunded for simply being unhappy with what he purchased. He could have said “the cracks are worse than I thought. Can i get a refund”? There is no reason 5aces should not refund the purchase. If its an issue of not having the money right now then derber can wait.

This might already exist in one form or another - but perhaps a stickied thread should be posted in the classified sections that gives guidelines on condition and what imperfections should be mentioned and pictured in order for a sale to be ‘recognized’ on the forum.

I, for one, kind of just use my personal judgement when describing my chips for sale. But my judgement and opinion could be wildly different than somebody else. A standard protocol would be nice so everybody is on the same page.

Any chance this went from 0-60 a little too fast? As in maybe both parties got defensive and just said some snap comments they wouldn’t normally?

@5aces any chance there was maybe a possible miscommunication? With such a long history here of good feedback, it’s hard to imagine this was an intentional misdirection. I for one didn’t realize you were planning on attending the European meetup and previously been so helpful with other European chippers.

No skin in the game, would just love to be able to grab a beer and talk chips with as many great PCFers as possible when I get over there.

This might already exist in one form or another - but perhaps a stickied thread should be posted in the classified sections that gives guidelines on condition and what imperfections should be mentioned and pictured in order for a sale to be ‘recognized’ on the forum.

I, for one, kind of just use my personal judgement when describing my chips for sale. But my judgement and opinion could be wildly different than somebody else. A standard protocol would be nice so everybody is on the same page.
Good pictures should show condition, deceptive to intentionally not show otherwise.

All of this seems so unnecessary, I and many other members on here have refunded or given a rebate to multiple members over the years when they’ve been unsatisfied with a communicated condition of chips, it seems to be a fairly widespread standard agreement of good buyers and sellers. Seems short sighted to ostracize oneself over a single situation that could be easily rectified.

Solution....... Slapfight Cagematch PPV

ScaryEnlightenedBobwhite-size_restricted.gif

not helpful but :wow:

I have no dog in this fight but it just seems right to refund this (perhaps even minus the cost of shipping) and move on. Buyer was paying premium for chips he expected to be better but got something clearly worse. I don’t believe anyone is scamming or extorting the other but can’t the parties make this easy by undoing the transaction?

If I am off-base then I apologize.

This is the logical conclusion.

However, I wouldn't take too kindly to being bullied/extorted into undoing the transaction.

I've not had an unpleasant experience with either of the two chippers, but, at least from the accusations of the other, both have handled this situation very poorly.

Yuck. Sorry for all parties involved, regardless of who is at fault.

On a positive note, I’d like to note in my short time chipping (< 4 months), I think I’ve seen 2 transactions ending so poorly. Hopefully 5aces and Derby come to an agreement. Either way, I think closing this thread wouldn’t be the worst of decisions as only more mud will be slung.

All of this seems so unnecessary, I and many other members on here have refunded or given a rebate to multiple members over the years when they’ve been unsatisfied with a communicated condition of chips, it seems to be a fairly widespread standard agreement of good buyers and sellers.
Absolutely true -- just a week or two ago, I issued a partial refund and accepted the return of a partial shipment of chips that did not meet the expectations of the buyer. No harm intended, no real foul occurred, and everybody is now happy.

Only when people get entrenched in their mindset do problems arise, unless there is actual intent to deceive -- and I believe that to be pretty rare here.

Absolutely true -- just a week or two ago, I issued a partial refund and accepted the return of a partial shipment of chips that did not meet the expectations of the buyer. No harm intended, no real foul occurred, and everybody is now happy.

Only when people get entrenched in their mindset do problems arise, unless there is actual intent to deceive -- and I believe that to be pretty rare here.

Agreed. There is almost always a way to make things right. I have had whole shipments go missing. We just split the loss and everyone wins/loses together. Compromise is the name of the game.

Damn I’ve had good transactions with both parties. Sad to see it come to this.

However my view is also just let the buyer return the chips. No big deal. Nothing is worth having a question mark over your reputation over 300 Euros, whether you’re in the right or wrong.

I am in line with @BGinGA’s thoughts. The prices previously being asked of these chips were extremely high and the chance of selling them at those prices are slim, at best. Therefore, I do not see a refund being issued. I believe @DerberAlter got pretty screwed on this deal, to say the least.

Just getting caught up. I sold 5 racks of St Jo's a few years ago for $550 as a best offer, so €3 is some serious dedication. I did do a good bit of research beforehand to be completely certain that the hard stamp cracks were normal and that I was representing them properly (link below to get to CT info).

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/chip-pick-501pc-st-jos-frontier-cash-set.16574/

On a serious note, the PCF reputation system isn't eBay where you can have a 99% rating and that be considered stellar. All it takes is 1 person to be justifiably dissatisfied and your standing in the community could be at risk. Sure, the vast majority of people will forget the drama, but a handful of people won't, and those same people may one day have chips you need (or you'll need them to buy yours).

To be safe, I always hold the cash in escrow until I receive confirmation from the buyer that the chips were received in good condition. It's easy to spend the money on other shit right away, but it does help to mitigate some risk in the event of a return (or partial return) request.

The condition is stated in the description. Definitely hard to see from pics. But also pretty irrelevant given the rest of the story we've heard (i.e., private transaction not directly tied to a classified ad).
I realize it was stated in the description and the video makes it obvious but to satisfy my own insanity can someone please identify where the cracks are in these pictures? I can't spot them and I've casted the pictures to my 80" tv. Thx
St. Joseph Frontier - 16 von 26.jpg

St. Joseph Frontier - 11 von 26.jpg

I think we all share the responsibility of doing our best to make sure new and old chippers alike are given ALL the information available prior to purchase. For example I'm well aware of BCC stretched inlay woes on many of their sets but I would want to know exactly how many are affected before buying...and there's almost no way a new chipper would have any idea WTF I'm talking about...unless it's included in the ad listing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom