St Joe's chips - scammed by @5aces (11 Viewers)

@5aces and @DerberAlter:

Which is more correct:

A) the cracked nature of the last rack was revealed before the sale

B) the cracked nature of the last rack was concealed before the sale

It seems to me, as @moose pointed out, that the seller and the buyer have different opinions as to what 'best rack' means. It seems to me that seller accepted cracks as part of the chips and best meant best condition, not considering the cracks at all. While buyer expected 'best rack' to mean better condition chips, still without cracks.

If @5aces intentionally misled, he is wrong. If he subjectively rated the chips, then caveat emptor. It's not for @5aces to know how others will rate the inherent flaws. Pictures speak 1000 words. If you are purchasing a rack of chips with known defects then you should confirm, not assume, the chips are without cracks, IMO. If @DerberAlter asked for pics and descriptions and they were intentionally misleading, @5aces should be held accountable. If @DerberAlter assumed the condition was without cracks based in a description that this was @5aces' best rack, that doesn't seem fair to @5aces.

And if it were me, even if the buyer made an incorrect assumption, I probably still refund the money, as long as the dispute was raised professionally.

IMHO, there is just too much poo being flung. Scam, no. Expectations not being met by either side, yup.

Sure, it’s a decent amount of money. I guess everyone has learned from their mistakes and it’s time to move on.

Remind me which wins again; an immovable object or an unstoppable force????

I'm not sure. I guess it depends on how far in the crack goes.

The cracks were caused by the overstamp cancellation. Milling won't cause anywhere near this amount of pressure. Then again, if the crack goes more toward the center where the inlay would go, milling might amplify the problem.

I think the only way to know for sure is to try it.

DerberAlter, For the Euro meet up in November, I can bring the rack I have of this chip denomination and I'll exchange with you any chip in my rack with no / minimal chip cracks for any of your chips. This should help you with your milling project. Otherwise, might I suggest just contacting Gear for labels that you can use for any remaining chips to set any frac denomination you are looking for. I don't think my entire rack will meet your no crack standard, but maybe I can help with a few barrels. Just an idea.

I bought those chips to mill them and make quarters from them. Is is possible to mill chips with cracks? or will they maybe break? This is the only question left from my side

We can do a try if you want and if you agree to potentially lose a chip.
You send me 1 or 2 chips, the most damaged.

Step 1 :
I will do a soft milling, just remove hotstamp and make a good surface. We check the crack. If it doesn't get bigger we can mill all the chips like that. With the soft milling you can use unlaminate label.

Step 2 :

I will do a full milling. We check the crack. If it doesn't get bigger we can mill all the chips like that. With these full milling you can use laminated label.

baking... have to change a few settings ;)

s-l1600b.jpg

It seems like multiple folks have had positive interactions with both parties so I hate to see this causing so much grief.

I don't have any skin in the game, but I can't see the cracks in the pictures that @moose is pointing out, while they appear extremely noticeable in the other pics. And it seems the buyer is claiming the seller told him the 2nd rack he didn't want to sell was cherry-picked. AND the seller has stated the condition of the second shipment was the same condition as the first shipment.

So the only plausible thing I can see the buyer doing here that could be in the wrong would be cherry-picking from both shipments to put the seller in a bad light.

If that isn't the case, then the seller claiming both sets of chips were of the same condition appears to be false, unless the second set was damaged during shipping. But the buyer has stated everything was well packed on both shipments and the seller hasn't tried claiming anything about shipping damage.

But given the discussion and "evidence" thus far, I'm leaning towards supporting the buyer here.

It seems like multiple folks have had positive interactions with both parties so I hate to see this causing so much grief.

I don't have any skin in the game, but I can't see the cracks in the pictures that @moose is pointing out, while they appear extremely noticeable in the other pics. And it seems the buyer is claiming the seller told him the 2nd rack he didn't want to sell was cherry-picked. AND the seller has stated the condition of the second shipment was the same condition as the first shipment.

So the only plausible thing I can see the buyer doing here that could be in the wrong would be cherry-picking from both shipments to put the seller in a bad light.

If that isn't the case, then the seller claiming both sets of chips were of the same condition appears to be false, unless the second set was damaged during shipping. But the buyer has stated everything was well packed on both shipments and the seller hasn't tried claiming anything about shipping damage.

But given the discussion and "evidence" thus far, I'm leaning towards supporting the buyer here.
Spot on

While it’s not ideal that this was made public so shortly after the first attempt was made to come to a settlement, this does show that if one side is unwilling to provide timely and clear disclosure (whether they should have to or not), the masses will likely side with the more boisterous party.

Last edited:
for science has anyone ever tried baking paulsons ? :watching:
it is used to renew welds on bugged graphic cards, maybe an optimal temperature exist for paulson chips :D
I've done it ! You can twist them and make a sculpture from it. I call it Pauslon-Art :cool

DerberAlter, For the Euro meet up in November, I can bring the rack I have of this chip denomination and I'll exchange with you any chip in my rack with no / minimal chip cracks for any of your chips. This should help you with your milling project. Otherwise, might I suggest just contacting Gear for labels that you can use for any remaining chips to set any frac denomination you are looking for. I don't think my entire rack will meet your no crack standard, but maybe I can help with a few barrels. Just an idea.
Hi Steven, thank you for this idea and offer. I ordered those chips in order to have enough quarters for the eu meetup in november. I'm positive that I will find a solution, that don't based on so much generosity for any others side. But I really appreciate your intention. I'm happy to meet you at the #EMM!

We can do a try if you want and if you agree to potentially lose a chip.
You send me 1 or 2 chips, the most damaged.

Step 1 :
I will do a soft milling, just remove hotstamp and make a good surface. We check the crack. If it doesn't get bigger we can mill all the chips like that. With the soft milling you can use unlaminate label.

Step 2 :

I will do a full milling. We check the crack. If it doesn't get bigger we can mill all the chips like that. With these full milling you can use laminated label.
Hi my friend. Good idea. I will contact you via whatsapp.

I made a fairly large purchase from @5aces, apparently around the same time as @DerberAlter made his purchase so I feel compelled to share my experience...

Sebastian posted a very descriptive classified ad (this one: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...ada-club-fitzgeralds-pick-hobsons-trk.41417)/, was open to some slight price negotiation, and even accepted a monetary deposit while allowing me as long as "multiple weeks" to compile the remainder of the funds needed to purchase these chips...he was away from home when I was finally able to send payment in full, and let me know ahead of time that he wouldn't be able to ship for many days (5/17 to be exact)...the chips were shipped on that date and although tracking was terrible from USPS (as it often is) Sebastian kept up communication with me at every turn...the chips finally arrived today, well packaged, and are 100% exacting to the condition he described them...my feeling about the seller is that he is someone VERY concerned about the happiness of his buyer, which is of course based solely on this one transaction with him...let the record show that I made that determination long before I knew this thread even existed...

I'm sure certain forum members will jump to conclusions based upon what they've read on the Derber/5aces transaction...and while I'm not defending or condemning anyone, I for one, don't like anything about how their transaction was handled, and I believe both parties had a hand in the deal going awry...we're not shopping in a department store here...we're not buying brand new merchandise, with a receipt, and a 30-day return policy...there's risk involved here, and it is always up to both the buyer and seller to do as much as possible to minimize the risk...from what I've read, it seems they collectively left too much for granted and their lack of communication has turned this into a bad situation...I have plenty more that I could say, but it would be just more opinion that doesn't matter...I know I wouldn't hesitate to make another purchase from Sebastian even after reading this thread.

Chip onnnnnnn, chippahas!

I feel like this song should be playing in everyone's earphones while reading this thread

Ummm, not that it matters, but as a new chipper this is my biggest fear. I just went to the seller's post, and I can in no way see any type of damage that shows or points to cracking.
That being said, I also don't have tribal knowledge that I should expect them to be cracked. This exact scenario would suck for me, as I've jumped in with both feet, both spending quite a bit immediately, and also already attempting to help out other chippers in various facets.

If this was one of my first experiences, instead of dealing with awesome people like detroitdad, jonesey, allforcharity, abc, whitemamba, BG, and others, I GUARENTEE I would not have stayed and honestly probably ran from chipping.
GUARANTEE*

Overall, I'd have to say that I'm impressed by my posts thus far, having come from the mobile with two kids on top of me. That being said, yeah...you can't misspell the word you capitalize.
Haha I was just busting balls anyways..but yes the one word that sticks out the most

Overall, I'd have to say that I'm impressed by my posts thus far, having come from the mobile with two kids on top of me. That being said, yeah...you can't misspell the word you capitalize.
Not good enough. Write it out 100 times and report back to us.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom