Plastic Cards (3 Viewers)

All true.
So if we knock modiano and davinci, what’s a good every level plays card? I’d definitely agree with the bicycle prestige, but if the yellow center is a requirement, I can’t even imagine what to recommend.
I guess desjgn, if you don’t require bridge jumbo. After that, prices go way up and availability is difficult.

What is this now? I've never heard of this....!!!
Site vendor desjgn recently had modiano produce cards for him. There were variations in the back colors that were noticible - some were lighter, some were darker, within the same deck. Apparently Modiano refused to acknowledge the error and reprint the cards. So we’re all pretty pissed at modiano.

@#$&ano :mad:'s QC is crap. They make a product with printing quality that can make decks marked and easily readable from the back. Then after brought to their attention they refuse to correct the problem basically telling their customers to pound sand.

DaVinci is made by @#$&ano :mad: therfore produce by the same POS company.

Reference material, Desjgn one of the vendors here did a large Kickstarter for new cards supported by PCF members. He had them produced by @#$&ano :mad:. You can read about it here - https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/bridge-jumbo-index-issue.24936/

Hmmm.... I've never had any problems with DaVinci. Was this recently?
Yes, recent.
I’ve never seen any similar reports of any other modiano/davinci cards. But they screwed up that run for design, so there you go.

And you can bet the farm that if you ever do have a problem with any of their cards, they couldn't care less.

Bicycle Prestige is the best (entry level) value IMO, but if you HAVE to have yellow centers...dunno. Desjgn is definitely worth the price, but I wouldn't put it in the entry level (inexpensive) category.

EDIT: Used WSOP setups of KEM/Copaq are a great value as well.

Hmmm. Lots of Copag-annoyance here. Well, for what it's worth, I use plenty of poker-size Copag cards when I deal blackjack or baccarat out of a shoe, they glide out nicely, and are durable. Have not drawn blood yet in 6 years, no damaged cards.

And you can bet the farm that if you ever do have a problem with any of their cards, they couldn't care less.

Well, with these sorts of things I suppose we're looking at three parties: The manufacturer, the brand/company, and the retailer. I would guess it'll all sort of trickle down from the top. If I order DaVinci on Amazon for example then I would expect Amazon to honor whatever guarantees are included in the purchase. I'd further guess that Amazon then would complain to either DaVinci or whatever retailer is listing it on Amazon. With a sufficiently low amount of returns it's probably not a big deal for them to just reimburse Amazon. So the manufacturer might not really hear about it unless the returns are literally huge, because it's just too little money for anyone to make a fuss over.

...maybe....

Either way all of this sucks. I've never had any issues like these.

You must not have read the total ordered quantity of cards involved. We're not talking about just a couple-dozen decks here.

You must not have read the total ordered quantity of cards involved. We're not talking about just a couple-dozen decks here.

No I did understand that. I thought you were making a general comment about people ordering anything at any volume with the same manufacturer. My bad.

Anyone want to play cards?

Sounds fun, but I've got a heads up date with the wife after the kids go to sleep.

Hmmm. Lots of Copag-annoyance here. Well, for what it's worth, I use plenty of poker-size Copag cards when I deal blackjack or baccarat out of a shoe, they glide out nicely, and are durable. Have not drawn blood yet in 6 years, no damaged cards.

I don't really have anything against Copag, they just aren't the nicest looking or feeling plastic card out there, IMO. You can find Bicycle Prestige setups for less/same, and I think they look/feel better. I've heard that Copag ink tends to wear faster than some other brands, but I can't speak to that personally. My Copags do show noticeable wear but they were also the first and most used deck of cards I have.

No I did understand that. I thought you were making a general comment about people ordering anything at any volume with the same manufacturer. My bad.
You send a complaint about a single deck -- or even a single card -- to USPC, or Copag, or Fourier, and you're gonna get at least the card replaced, and probably the entire deck. That's just good customer service.

These frickin' yahoos wouldn't even acknowledge the problem, bold-faced lied several times to multiple people (including their direct customer), and then went cold-shoulder silent. You think they're gonna give a rat's ass about a single customer, several layers removed? It's not the industry in general.... it's this particular manufacturer and their clear and obvious disdain for the paying customer, regardless of order size.

Worth a mention, the 2017 WSOP cards were Copag and there were rampant issues with cards becoming easily marked throughout the tournament.

You think they're gonna give a rat's ass about a single customer, several layers removed?

No, I don't. It's also not what I said if that's what you think.

It's not the industry in general.... it's this particular manufacturer and their clear and obvious disdain for the paying customer, regardless of order size.

Yep, I get that.

1) there is no difference between pre and Post USPC Kems. However, cards made in the last few years seem to have a rougher texture. If you buy them store them with a dealer button on top. All acetate cards are at risk of bowing.

2)I concur with many here. If you can find Bicycle Prestige bridge cheap, they are the best bang for the buck.

3) Desjgn are the best looking and feeling non acetate cards on the market IMO. Best looking of any card

FWIW, I finally got my hands on some pre-USPC KEM's and I kind of agree, the difference in feel is mostly negligible. The main difference I've noticed is that pre-USPC KEMs may be slightly thicker and less flexible...although the flexibility seems to vary a bit between the 4 pre-USPC setups I have. That might contribute to the flatness vs the other 2008 WSOP KEMs I have (slightly warped) and the arrow KEMs that I inherited that were so warped I had to throw away.

Yes. 100%. I have several sample of each. I took pics for a thread here showing the Ace of spades to date the deck to clearly illustrate it. I have pre and Post USPC samples that both warped and didn’t warp. The worst warped samples were actually my oldest...Poker sized Arrows from 2002. I have two decks from 2011 and 2016 that are rougher in texture and are dead flat. I do keep a dealer button on top and store them pips up.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/kem-dont-understand-the-hype.25897/#post-478715

Lol crazy how a simple (maybe it isn’t so simple) goes all different ways. So I’m definitely set on buying a deck with the yellow center. I will use them for my tournaments with that being said I don’t want anyone to be able to cheat(marked cards) so is it pretty easy to spot this on the da Vinci? And money really isn’t an issue for a deck of cards as long as I’m not paying like 40$ for a deck of cards I’m ok. Lol

Guild cards also have the shaded box and are widely available for about $20/setup. They look just like Modianos and DaVincis and come in a Modiano box, but I believe they are not made by Modiano. I like them very much.

Curious as to why you'd think they aren't made by Modiano, but are enclosed in their proprietary packaging?

I'd have to dig a bit for the reference which I won't be able to do tonight, but I recall some discussion on this point. I believe the originator of the project stated they bought packaging from Modiano to save costs on developing their own, but that was the full extent of the relationship.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

edit - here is the thread I was thinking of.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/playing-card-review-guild.12814/

highlights:
> @Irish says the printing is more vivid and saturated than Modiano & that the finish is glossier than Modiano, more like Fournier.

> Vendor states the stag logo and Guild brand is US property, and that Modiano boxes were purchased to save costs

> No specific confirmation they are not mfr by Modiano

So I guess it is an open question.

Last edited:
I think that's a city name. Dal Negro is also made there
That's the city where the company was founded, the original seat (I don't know about current company schemes and seats)
Modiano @ Trieste
Dal Negro @ Treviso

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom