Official Dungeons & Dragons Thread... (3 Viewers)

Trying to gather more info

68660179_2341633812752700_6604829306035334993_n.jpg

Seems to be a 3D model project available on https://cults3d.com/ for the board gaming community
The creator also made more traditional board figures

7d53160eac9b5d191c09cc6abaacce87_preview_featured.jpg

Oh man! It looks so damn fun to collect and paint these fantasy characters! Must resist, I love fantasy, strategy and RPG’s. I can see my self being fully absorbed into this subculture too.

Hopefully it’s not as expensive as buying and building chip sets. Alway had the itch to get into the D&D games (books, dice and stuff). Can it be played with just 2 players? Maybe I’ll get my son into it LOL.

Reactions: BNM
I’ve played a little D&D over the years but never got huge into it - as a avid BoardGameGeek I went heavily into Heroscape and still have tubs and tubs of terrain, expansions, etc. probably have 30+ base sets as they were reasonably easy to thrift for years.

Oh man! It looks so damn fun to collect and paint these fantasy characters! Must resist, I love fantasy, strategy and RPG’s. I can see my self being fully absorbed into this subculture too.

Hopefully it’s not as expensive as buying and building chip sets. Alway had the itch to get into the D&D games (books, dice and stuff). Can it be played with just 2 players? Maybe I’ll get my son into it LOL.
RPG are like poker. It can be fun with just 2 players, but it becomes exponentially better with more players. There are more interactions - and the social aspect is a big part of the fun. There is also problem solving. If one person is stumped, someone else may be able to figure out a solution. The banter in the problem solving is also useful to both problem solving.

It also creates excellent "team" skills, when you learn to give and take to come up with the best solution to any problem.

Last edited:
Yes, it's definitely best with a group. However, I'm running a campaign with just my son to introduce him to the game and teach him the rules. If you go pick up the new Essentials Kit, it's a good intro and has rules for sidekicks so you can play with fewer players. His middle school has a D&D club that he could join if he gets into it. I figured I could probably teach him better than they would though, and he'll be more confident joining the group if he already knows how to play. Definitely check out the Essentials Kit if you want to try it out. This is a great time to get started.

Reactions: BNM
I’ve played a little D&D over the years but never got huge into it - as a avid BoardGameGeek I went heavily into Heroscape and still have tubs and tubs of terrain, expansions, etc. probably have 30+ base sets as they were reasonably easy to thrift for years.
Heroquest was awesome. I used to play that with my uncle when I was in my early teens. Wish I knew people that are into that kind of stuff.

Just noticed this thread. I've never played D&D in my life but the more I circle around it now in my middle age, the more I regret never being around it growing up. Thinking of picking it up now and playing with my 7 yo daughter (and soon my son when he's a little older).

Anyway, I felt compelled to share the link below: it is of the Youtube channel Dungeon Craft. It was created, and is produced and features my professional mentor and cooperating teacher who is an avid player and board gamer. He meets informally every other Friday after hours at his school to play D&D with students, and volunteers as a DM at homes, hospitals, etc. He's been hired to do the same in many places and at special events. He's a great guy and a ton of fun. He gently nudged me to take the plunge and start cheaply on a starter kit for $20 from Walmart (I was overwhelmed by his traveling luggage and makeshift toolboxes full of dice, figures and terrains). He produces his videos in his basement in his free time, and sometimes crafts on his 40 min lunch periods at his desk.

He passed on a lifetime of wisdom and strategy to me as a public school teacher and if I do start playing, it will again be with help from him. Check the channel out. I owe him at the very least a few new clicks and subscriptions lol

-Mike

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYlOu5g6H7ZxR3gdiIdXNMS3JH3YGCppR

Initial costs for miniatures are pretty approachable. Or were. Where the dogs get you is the amount of time it takes to paint them. I am not very good at that stuff (meticulous painting) so it took me forever. In the “time is money” column that can add up. But, if you enjoy it then it’s super worth it.

Forgot to mention part of the resurgence in interest in the current generation could be that the tv show Riverdale had their own version of D&D they called "Griffons & Gargoyles"

I am the faculty advisor to the D&D club at the local high school, we have about 16 members running two different campaigns. Both groups play 5th edition. I played from about 12 into my late 20's with the same guys and we played AD&D 1st/2nd edition hybrid. It was mostly 1st edition with a few 2nd addition rules allowed on balance by the DM. After observing the group for a while, I'm sure I like the old stuff better but the kids love the millennialized 5th edition, they seem to have a lot of fun playing and I'm pretty sure that's the point.

Played a session this Sunday with the new table. As for nerds, my recent games have included an ER doc, a fighter pilot, an army intel officer, and several other high level career folks.. Lol at the premise that it’s uncool to play D&D.. If you look at many of those running billion dollar companies, odds are they played D&D as a kid, learned how to problem solve, collaborate, and communicate.

F692602B-39AE-44E9-ADEB-F858E1B35816.jpeg
AD649AEB-0B8F-4516-86ED-87F62C1FCAF1.jpeg

Played a session this Sunday with the new table. As for nerds, my recent games have included an ER doc, a fighter pilot, an army intel officer, and several other high level career folks.. Lol at the premise that it’s uncool to play D&D.. If you look at many of those running billion dollar companies, odds are they played D&D as a kid, learned how to problem solve, collaborate, and communicate.

You have earned my vote for overstatement of the year.

https://famouspeopletoday.com/celebrities-who-play-dd/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ge...ound-dungeons-dragons-embrace-inner-geek/amp/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_&_Dragons_in_popular_culture

I mean, this was just a Quick phone search of D&D and CEOs. Given time I’m sure we could dig out more articles. Notables include Elon Musk as an avid current D&D player
Not to be argumentative, but you would find an enormous number of successful individuals who did not play D&D growing up, as well.

The connection is completely unrelated. I know people who played D&D who are "normal" dudes.

Not to be argumentative, but you would find an enormous number of successful individuals who did not play D&D growing up, as well.

The connection is completely unrelated. I know people who played D&D who are "normal" dudes.

ya I agree with you for the most part... I’m not saying playing D&D is gonna make you a billionaire...

but let’s play a game of laying odds on our own kid’s career success. speaking purely on the likelihood of your kids having a successful career as adult... would you rather?

1- kiddo excels in sports, is local high school star athlete, is well liked and popular, and socializing is easy, possible athletic
Scholarship.
2- kiddo is a nerd, plays D&D, wins spelling bees and science/engineering competitions, schoolwork is easy and is likely to get an academic scholarship to a good college.

if I’m gambling, I’m taking #2 for someone with the financial means to put me into a nice retirement village when I’m old, or maybe buy me a nice retirement beach villa :)

Last edited:
ya I agree with you for the most part... I’m not saying playing D&D is gonna make you a billionaire...

but let’s play a game of laying odds on our own kid’s career success. speaking purely on the likelihood of your kids having a successful career as adult... would you rather?

1- kiddo excels in sports, is local high school star athlete, is well liked and popular, and socializing is easy, possible athletic
Scholarship.
2- kiddo is a nerd, plays D&D, wins spelling bees and science/engineering competitions, schoolwork is easy and is likely to get an academic scholarship to a good college.

if I’m gambling, I’m taking #2.

Hoo-boy. Are you suggesting that the nerd who plays D&D and wins spelling bees, etc. is going to enjoy a greater amount of success than his nerdy counterpart who likes to work on electronics and build robots, but isn't into fantasy role playing games? How about interactive video games or photography? Is the kid who plays D&D going to have an edge over nerds with those interests?

Help me try to understand your convoluted reasoning.

Hoo-boy. Are you suggesting that the nerd who plays D&D and wins spelling bees, etc. is going to enjoy a greater amount of success than his nerdy counterpart who likes to work on electronics and build robots, but isn't into fantasy role playing games? How about interactive video games or photography? Is the kid who plays D&D going to have an edge over nerds with those interests?

Help me try to understand your convoluted reasoning.

lol, mojo gonna mojo (I guess).

not sure why this needs to be an argument, cuz it’s not worthy IMHO..

I'm not saying one nerd is better than another nerd. If you’re into robotics, chess and other brainy activities as a kid, I think you’ve got a better chance of being super successful as you grow up. Of course, there are exceptions in all things. Jocks can be mega stars (however unlikely), and brainy kids can stay living in their parents bedrooms until they’re 35...

lol, mojo gonna mojo (I guess).

not sure why this needs to be an argument, cuz it’s not worthy IMHO..

I'm not saying one nerd is better than another nerd. If you’re into robotics, chess and other brainy activities as a kid, I think you’ve got a better chance of being super successful as you grow up. Of course, there are exceptions in all things. Jocks can be mega stars (however unlikely), and brainy kids can stay living in their parents bedrooms until they’re 35...

If exercising a healthy skepticism by questioning conclusions based upon assumptions and calling out people whose passion leads them to magical thinking is what you mean by mojo is gonna mojo, then I am guilty as charged.

You could have used Magic: the Gathering or a number of other subjective things in place of D&D to explain a person's likelihood of success and I would have responded the same way. It is a weakness of mine that I need to work on.

Last edited:
Next, lets track the stats between D&D playing kids and young athletes, using physical fitness as the barometer. My guess, the athletes have a longer lifespan from less heart disease.

I snagged a bunch o cheap dice sets from Amazon.. then proceeded to use the salt water test to check their level of balance.. went through all my sets, and discovered a number of horribly out of balance dice. I mainly tested the D20’s first.. if that was bad, the set went into my junk decoration fishbowl.

here were the keepers and discards.

ED9A1BC8-4CB0-4081-AC98-F88DDD703A34.jpeg
3EF3B868-7719-4F1B-8DCE-4DD725C65851.jpeg
E5788E02-D24F-428C-BE4F-F8C6989CA8B0.jpeg

Scholarship.

if I’m gambling, I’m taking #2 for someone with the financial means to put me into a nice retirement village when I’m old, or maybe buy me a nice retirement beach villa :)
I think #1 also has a great chance of success. Social skills and leadership as well as sportsmanship and grit are all learned in team sports (individual sports as well). Although I've conditioned my kids to expect there will be no sports scholarships in their futures.

I think #1 also has a great chance of success. Social skills and leadership as well as sportsmanship and grit are all learned in team sports (individual sports as well). Although I've conditioned my kids to expect there will be no sports scholarships in their futures.

I whole-heartedly agree there are huge benefits to organized team sports. Heck, any sport for that matter.. I played many sports in school as well, and had a hearty triathlon career. I'm only giving a slight edge to the brainy kids over those who just participate in scholastic sports... Both get a huge edge over those kids who loaf and don't do anything in school. Again, this is purely speculative, and just for fun.. Not trying to win a Nobel Prize for science or anything.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom