Official Dungeons & Dragons Thread... (3 Viewers)

The use of mini figures are very popular with D&D, is somehow recommended in the books or just a common use?
Can't remember anyone using minis on RPG over here, and during the gaming conventions I've seen some GM using some figures , but really the minority

I’ve decided to come out of the geek closet, so to speak, and created a local game group through FB... interestingly, quite a few of my core poker players also came out of the closet, admitting they play D&D.. including one friend that I’ve known for 20 years (never had any idea he played D&D)... it’s like there’s some stigma involved, and people aren’t open to sharing that part of their lives, until receiving permission to do so...

979EA26E-1AF7-4CD6-90B5-6C9DD136701A.jpeg

The "Official" line of prepainted plastic D&D miniatures made by Wizkids are not bad. The multi-colour manufacturing process has improved over the last couple of decades.

I, too, have a box full of pewter miniatures that I have to paint one day, but my backlog of terrain that needs painting is huge as well.

Nice thread! I started with a Basic Set when I was around 12 and quickly moved up to AD&D 2E in junior high with some friends. Continued playing in HS and college more with another group of friends. I remember one Christmas break during college where we got back together and just played D&D for about a week straight. Get together around 8pm, actually start the game around 10pm, break up around 6 or 7am, go home and sleep during the day, meet up the next night, and repeat. We were basically vampires that week and consumed way too much soda and pixie stix. During semesters we also spent a bunch of time playing a MUD that was a ton of fun, but not the same. Many nights in college I was in the engineering school computer lab late with a bunch of Asian dudes instead of out drinking. :D

Moved to Dallas after graduation and 3E came out, and I decided to give that a shot. Didn't really know anybody in the city, but made some good friends through D&D that I still keep in touch with. After I moved to CO I tried to play an online game with several of them, which lasted about a year, but it was really difficult and slow with the online tools available then.

Tried 4E about two times and hated that version. Took an extended break from D&D after my 2nd kid was born due to lack of time.

Last fall some friends and I started playing Gloomhaven and after a while we decided that for the amount of time we were spending, we should just be playing D&D, so we made the switch. Out of our group of 5 we have me, 2 guys that played 2E back in the day, 1 who played 3E for a while, and a complete newbie. To get up to speed on 5E, I volunteered to run the Starter Set. We just finished about 3/4 of that campaign, and now we are starting a new adventure with my friend DMing a homebrew set in Greyhawk.

If you want lots of minis for cheap, look at getting an Ender 3 or similar 3D printer. Two of us have bought them primarily to print minis, and it's so much cheaper than buying them. There are many, many great models out there for free or cheap.

Forgot to add: my son is 11 and I'm just getting him started too! He saw me doing some prep work for my group one night and rolling dice and came over to see what was up. I explained and asked "do you want to try playing D&D??" :wow: And he said sure! :sneaky: So I went and picked up the new Essentials Kit since it is also designed for single players with sidekicks. The other night we started to create his first character, and he decided to make a dwarven fighter. His middle school has an after school D&D club, so I'm hoping that after I teach him the game he might be interested in joining that club and playing with some kids his own age and making some new friends.

First batch of primed minis. Used the technique of starting with black then doing a white (super light) topcoat. To bring out details etc. I didn’t use the best minis for my first batch.

A4F4C347-A683-481A-A746-3E6650668A9B.jpeg
174540E0-875D-4D70-9BA8-991092ACEA84.jpeg

Here’s an example of unprimed raw minis next to the primed. For comparison

D1F9D897-2E46-4C58-94C8-783363EAA685.jpeg

Round two of the priming. Getting better.

Raw
AAFADADB-4047-4320-9BEE-9A27C93E4FEA.jpeg

Primed just black
360524B9-A03A-415A-BE6F-FA68F3BE7009.jpeg
24C51701-9176-4B83-994D-F92078F52531.jpeg

With white topcoat
EBA80282-25F4-4A59-ABFF-C21EB57DE314.jpeg

E2C86CDE-D996-4426-BFBE-C3A5CD01FF30.jpeg

I like your priming technique. Should be able to get very nice contrast with that first black layer.

I suppose there's two ways to go about it. Prime black and the drybrush on the white, or prime white and wash with black.

Nice try! That miniature is not Cthulhu. It's an illithid,

Close enough :)

Gary Gygax said: "the mind flayer I made up out of whole cloth using my imagination, but inspired by the Chthonian on the cover of Brian Lumley's novel The Burrowers Beneath." The novel was rooted in the Cthulhu mythos and Lovecraft's character Robert Harrison Blake (The Haunter of the Dark) wrote a short story titled "The Burrower Beneath."

Squid head in the middle, is who he’s referring to.

I recognized him as a Mind Flayer... Didn't catch the reference to the specific historical baddie... :)

My lot came with 3-4 of the flayers. :)

That looks cool! I wonder how it would look if I printed a mini black and then just painted with grey/white? I could skip the black paint step that way.

That looks cool! I wonder how it would look if I printed a mini black and then just painted with grey/white? I could skip the black paint step that way.

If you can paint on the plastic with success without priming, then go for it... But I think priming is always a good idea. Here, the black primer acts as a shadow effect (and will help cover up any mistakes). Spraying black primer is easy. I also find it easy to do multiples (about 6 at a time) using the USPS flat rate boxes (sticky tape). Stick the minis to the carboard/tape, then spray. You can move the cardboard around to get better angles, and the tape is strong enough to even hold minis upside down (metal).

My goal is to prep/prime as many minis as possible now, then put them into play (primed). I'll go in and do the more used ones in greater detail, a few at a time (as time permits).

Continuing on the crafting theme, I made this dice tray for my 13 yo son. Found the tray at a garage sale for $1 and added vinyl for a sweet sound and feel (ya, left over poker table supplies)

7D1C2129-BB38-4EE3-9B4D-AF5C7471B526.jpeg
3C881898-F559-4A50-B6B7-C5FC743888D1.jpeg

Have you seen these gaming tables?

1567907823890.jpeg

Have you seen these gaming tables?

View attachment 334978
I was looking at them at Gencon this year. Although they are beautiful tables, I would take standard poker table almost every time.

The best feature of one of the tables: A hand crank that could adjust the height of the "felt". You could have tall raised rails or a play surface flush with the rail.

Reactions: BNM
I was looking at them at Gencon this year. Although they are beautiful tables, I would take standard poker table almost every time.

The best feature of one of the tables: A hand crank that could adjust the height of the "felt". You could have tall raised rails or a play surface flush with the rail.

Absolutely. Just too engineered. They are crazy expensive as I recall.

A round, 56-60” ChanMan with a table topper for me!

Continuing on the crafting theme, I made this dice tray for my 13 yo son. Found the tray at a garage sale for $1 and added vinyl for a sweet sound and feel (ya, left over poker table supplies)

View attachment 334621View attachment 334622

Ever tried a dice tower? You can make one out of just about anything, even Lego. Many look like castle towers. Takes up less surface real estate than a tray.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom