Official Dungeons & Dragons Thread... (1 Viewer)

Absolutely. Just too engineered. They are crazy expensive as I recall.

hammeredgametables.com has filled in some of the market left in the vacuum of the Geek Chic bankruptcy. Looks just as nice, still expensive but not nearly as crazy as GC. Also, their website shows off a lot of nice Dwarven Forge terrain.

These sorts of tables are really not suitable for poker and other card-based games. They are better for something that has an enhanced 3D component to it like miniature wargaming or elevation-heavy dioramas, etc.

I’m still toying with the idea of building a black oval topper and recessing a flush acrylic section (in milky translucent 1/4” thick acrylic). This would allow using dry erase markers to map encounters, and the rail LEDs could be turned on to allow the center section to radiate/glow... :)

Very rough iPad rendering of the concept.

E229BAB1-7557-4CDE-B8A6-EFDE97C9DFA2.jpeg

my cousin was big on D&D, so in the early 80's I played a little. Always appreciated the game, computers can't bring out the imagination of the players, but I do like computer games that incorporate D&D rules

there is a reason why the acrylic must be flush to the topper?

Yes. Not using a TV screen... means we might want other encounter maps rolled out, which might overlap the acrylic. I’d want it flush with the surface to avoid complications with uneven surfaces. Making it flush mounted seems easy enough.

Hosted a fun one-shot game with a neighbor family and one of Payton’s friends. I worked all week creating an adventure called “Bandits of Skull Island”.

Creating adventure content was always fun for me. This time I rolled out all the old tricks, and many new tricks I’ve learned from the interwebz. The battle Maps and minis were a fun added experience, and I rolled out several encounter “ambiance” videos on YouTube to project behind me. Also utilized a D&D soundtrack for great ambient “dramatic“ music.

272B31E2-F1E0-4C27-A7C9-848B174BD221.jpeg
A0A25764-474B-4D88-A131-A050434F9B7C.jpeg
B8721A78-F9D7-497E-878A-B9596F2E3A19.jpeg

7360D89E-6D9E-437B-900B-CE2FC405B188.jpeg

Yes, that’s a real saber tooth tiger skull. ;)

Last edited:
The setup worked well. I thought about the traditional table top setup, but this allowed people to play in ultimate comfort. Power reclining theater seats... and allowed the TV screen behind me. I Airplayed photos and such to the TV. Really liked the YouTube ambiance videos.

Here was a sample of tonight’s videos

Tavern

Docks

Boat

Island

Cave

I started my son on his first adventure yesterday! I'm running him through the Essentials Kit. We previously rolled up his dwarven fighter, but yesterday we finally kicked off the first adventure. He and his sidekick took down an Ochre Jelly, which was pretty tough for 2 first level characters. He quickly learned not to use his axe on the jelly unless he wanted to fight a whole bunch of them. I pulled a few punches (the Jelly does a lot of damage!) and gave it slightly below average HP, and they took it down. It was a fun start and picked up the rules pretty well so far, and we had some fun banter with some NPC dwarves.

Wow. My second attempt at a mini shows a lot of improvement.

Here was the base coat, before shading and highlights

2E8FC75E-5BB6-4A92-B128-7F0A622BE75E.jpeg

63DDA46C-B24F-457B-98DA-9CCA4BBE12CC.jpeg

Here is the finished mini.

4A7D7D8D-8BBD-4C78-B46C-9561C9EC5AD9.jpeg

A24C8AE6-C514-4409-98FE-9B515D7CEEEB.jpeg

8D7AC694-804B-4A0C-9FF8-35228F425D6B.jpeg

These are small. Here’s the work bench to give perspective

3EFE8D61-0B3C-4F0F-92E4-69EA454E0088.jpeg

Ok. Promise I won’t post every mini I paint. Just getting started and showing off some initial work. This is my 3rd mini and it speaks for itself.

Pre (primed)

9965FD5E-3A25-4E3E-AF1B-252A6B29EEF7.jpeg

Final

DA49402C-DFC5-4606-B025-3D07301B5A21.jpeg

FCC94ED3-C560-400D-8C91-538B237A4FC4.jpeg

I’ve been playing in Adventures League for a couple weeks, and my Elf Ranger needed a mini... here’s my latest, just finished painting...

F9600076-D623-4B00-8964-F272C9A8EBC6.jpeg
D26F0F48-45A9-4DB8-B42F-1F648227E58F.jpeg

I'm doing the digital table top build, and created a separate thread to document the debauchery (so I'm not clogging this thread).

Follow the build action HERE

Last edited:
Wow this takes me back. My brother is 6 years my elder and used to DM a game which is how I got into it. I remember the old school modules like Against the Giants or the one where you fought the Drow and Lloth the Queen of the Demonweb Pits.

My recollection is we both played two characters, I had a halfling thief and a gnome wizard I think (and go figure, lol)

Used to love going to yard sales and picking up the lead miniatures and painting them. Even used my crossbows & catapults set to build a castle set (I actually burnt some of the plastic to give it a more realistic and battle-worn look for the castle and glued it together and used real dirt and grass to make the whole diorama plus fake miniature trees, real rocks, etc)

I haven't played in a long time, although there was a group of friends a bit over a decade ago that would run a campaign.

For those without access to a group to play, I'd highly recommend the PC game Dragon Age: Origins. It's not D&D, but it is an RPG with a fantastic story, controls and characters (the later installments in the Dragon Age series were letdowns in my opinion and I regret purchasing them).

Also, anyone remember the Dark Tower board game?

tower.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom