NL game with (almost) a limit game worth of chips (1 Viewer)

Bradcorn

Pair
Reaction score
a few years ago I remember seeing pictures of a $10-$10 NL game and wanting to play in a game with mountains of chips. Well, $10-$10 is super easy to scale down and I'm looking for some advice as I'm planning a CPC hot stamp cash set.

A $1-$1 - $200 max game with a beautifully even $8k bank

800 - $1s
160 - $20s
40 - $100s

8 person table would be:
Starting stacks:
100 - $1s
5 - $20s

Leaving 10 - $20s for next 12 buy ins and the 40 $100s to cover almost anything

10 person table would be:
Starting stacks:
80 - $1s
6 - $20s

Leaving 10 - $20s for the next 10 buy ins and the 40 $100s to cover beyond that

For 9 people I would give 100 1s to most and 80 1s to the others to get the full 800 on the table to start.

I would love opinions on the positive and negative side as I haven't played a game set up like this and worry about it being too unwieldy with the amount of chips. I think the balance is really strong and love the idea of barrels with a single higher chip that is equal to one barrel.

Thoughts? Would a game like this appeal to you or should I go the $5 standard chip route?

Making change when the $20s go in might be a pain in the butt and rarely offer the opportunity to short the pot.

I always like having mountains of chips in play but there will be people who don't care for it. I encourage you either test this with your players using cheap chips first and/or order enough $5s to run the game normally. What you don't want is the players getting cranky about "too many ones" the first night your new set hits the table and you not having a back up plan.

For what it is worth, many of my players don't much care for a $20 chips because it is strange to them (they keep thinking it is a $25 chip). That also might be an issue. My solution to this has been to remind them early and often when playing a set with a $20 chip.

DrStrange

Agree with you on the $20. I'm wavering between the above and doing something like:

100 - 50c
200 - $1
400 - $5
80 - $25
20 - $100

For a 50c - $1 game or 50c-50c mix game with PLO/pineapple/etc.

Second option is safer just curious on the other. (Also 3 chips is much easier to design vs 5!)

a few years ago I remember seeing pictures of a $10-$10 NL game and wanting to play in a game with mountains of chips. Well, $10-$10 is super easy to scale down and I'm looking for some advice as I'm planning a CPC hot stamp cash set.

A $1-$1 - $200 max game with a beautifully even $8k bank

800 - $1s
160 - $20s
40 - $100s

8 person table would be:
Starting stacks:
100 - $1s
5 - $20s

Leaving 10 - $20s for next 12 buy ins and the 40 $100s to cover almost anything

10 person table would be:
Starting stacks:
80 - $1s
6 - $20s

Leaving 10 - $20s for the next 10 buy ins and the 40 $100s to cover beyond that

For 9 people I would give 100 1s to most and 80 1s to the others to get the full 800 on the table to start.

I would love opinions on the positive and negative side as I haven't played a game set up like this and worry about it being too unwieldy with the amount of chips. I think the balance is really strong and love the idea of barrels with a single higher chip that is equal to one barrel.

Thoughts? Would a game like this appeal to you or should I go the $5 standard chip route?
I think I would rather go with a $10 chip than a $20.

Check out this thread contemplating a game with this structure. Lots of good comments.

Can't believe I missed this thread the first time, some great insight. It seems the consensus would be $1/$10 which makes sense and there is something great about $1/$10/$100 for the bank.

Jbutler - have your thoughts changed from when you started the thread? Have you been able to try a game like this?

Can't believe I missed this thread the first time, some great insight. It seems the consensus would be $1/$10 which makes sense and there is something great about $1/$10/$100 for the bank.

Jbutler - have your thoughts changed from when you started the thread? Have you been able to try a game like this?

I've played the Parx game again at least once since that thread but no home or other games with that structure. Can't say my opinions have changed and I don't think it's too unreasonable to add 2 racks of $10s to a set with a lot of $1s to make the structure work since you'll also already have the hundos.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom