Home tournament before cash game? (1 Viewer)

maloviz

Pair
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Ive recently hosted 1 tournament game ($25 bounty, 20k starting stack, 20m levels) and a few cash games (5¢/10¢, $20 max) and I really enjoyed them both. I hate having to pick which one I want to do when I host so I was thinking of making my games always start with a 2-3h long, $20 bounty tournament (6-9pm) then do a cash game afterward.

My biggest fear is that a few people will bust early from the tournament and not want to wait around until the cash game since I only have 1 table so I cap the players at 10. Another fear is that 8/9pm might be too late for people to want to start up a cash game. I usually host on Friday so by then people might be ready to just go home and go to bed after working all day and busting out of a tournament.

I wanted to know what everyone's thoughts were on doing a short single table tournament before starting up a cash game. Yay or nay?

Sounds fun, glad the games are running well!

I've heard people doing both in a night but your instincts are correct: unless its turbo and over quickly, people get sick of waiting. I like to separate them and have tournaments on other days. An occasional cash game will happen after the tourney but they're organic. Don't want the tourney feeling rushed or burdensome.

My crowd strongly prefers cash games mostly because they will be late to their own funeral.

If you only have one table, this may get messy.

Usually if you're going to have a tournament that turns into a cash game, there's a second table for bustos to start up cash while they wait for the rest of the tournament to finish. With only one table, everyone will be stuck waiting for the whole tourney to end, which is to say many people may just want to leave, especially if they bust early.

Consider having an alternating schedule if you want to run a little of both, like tournaments every other week and cash on the other weeks.

Or get another table?

When we combine cash and tournament events on the same day, we run the cash game first -- then hold the tournament. When players bust out of the tourney, they leave.

We usually play on Saturdays, starting the cash game at noon, breaking for dinner at 5pm, and running the tournament 6-11pm.

If you only have one table, this may get messy.

Usually if you're going to have a tournament that turns into a cash game, there's a second table for bustos to start up cash while they wait for the rest of the tournament to finish. With only one table, everyone will be stuck waiting for the whole tourney to end, which is to say many people may just want to leave, especially if they bust early.

Consider having an alternating schedule if you want to run a little of both, like tournaments every other week and cash on the other weeks.

Or get another table?
My biggest fear with this is that 1 table might end up with newer players and not really know what to do. A lot of people that come to my games aren't the most comfortable with things like dealing, and I definitely wouldn't want some of them to handle the bank.

If I were to have 2 tables how should I handle this? Designate a trusted friend to be the bank for the game I'm not a part of?

When we combine cash and tournament events on the same day, we run the cash game first -- then hold the tournament. When players bust out of the tourney, they leave.
That's really interesting to me. I'd never think it would work doing cash first. How do you decide when to switch to tournament? What if everyone is having fun at the cash game?

This will vary greatly by your group. What if you did some nights a tournament and some cash games?
This could definitely work. I just hate the idea of people making the trip just to do poorly in the tournament and have to leave quickly. (The last tournament I did allow 1 re-entry for this reason)

Cash game is a bit easier to handle. People can come and leave when ever they want.

If you run a 10-handed tournament first, it's nice to have a small spare table for starting a cg, while the
tourney continues.
When more than half the people busted, change tables.

Running a tournament after the cg sounds great too - never went this way!

When I used to run tourney then cash, I would often just split the table and have one end tourney, one end cash when 5 players had busted out. You may have to switch seats, but it worked.

We pretty much only play cash now. It's a lot easier to run and I'm not worried about someone who is late hasn't texted so I can blind them out.

I did the cash before tourney thing two weeks ago. I had 4/9 show up for cash. We played for 2.75hrs and then setup the tournament. We started at 4 and the tourney started around 7. It went about 5hrs.

I wish we had a full table for cash but giving the tourney a start time and incentivizing on time arrival meant everyone made sure to at least be on time for that. Cash game was flexible for everyone. Those that couldn’t commit to 8hrs of poker could come as they pleased. I don’t have a friend group of degens like myself.

That's really interesting to me. I'd never think it would work doing cash first. How do you decide when to switch to tournament? What if everyone is having fun at the cash game?
Actually works much better, with preset times for cash game start/end and for the tourney start. People are under no obligation to arrive "on time" for the cash game, and can quit any time they like.

My biggest fear with this is that 1 table might end up with newer players and not really know what to do. A lot of people that come to my games aren't the most comfortable with things like dealing, and I definitely wouldn't want some of them to handle the bank.

If I were to have 2 tables how should I handle this? Designate a trusted friend to be the bank for the game I'm not a part of?
If you're up to it, you could run bank for cash simultaneously while you run the tournament. People will just have to come to you for chips.

Alternatively, you could go the trusted-friend route, if you know someone who would be a good pick. That's what I do at my Sunday tourneys that have a cash game afterward, if I haven't busted out of the tourney when cash starts. If that friend leaves or you want to take over bank for whatever reason, you can always pause the game and audit total chips against cash to make sure you're coming in on a balanced till.

Actually works much better, with preset times for cash game start/end and for the tourney start. People are under no obligation to arrive "on time" for the cash game, and can quit any time they like.
What time do you start playing?

My biggest fear is that a few people will bust early from the tournament and not want to wait around until the cash game since I only have 1 table so I cap the players at 10. Another fear is that 8/9pm might be too late for people to want to start up a cash game.
I've thought about a cash game for when people are busted out. Then I realized... who is going to run it? I am too busy managing the tournament already to coordinate it, and it's a beginner's friendly game. And I don't really want to put that responsibility on another person (yet).

Even then, people in my game have stayed until the end of our tournament, sometimes just waiting for 2 hours, and we offer no cash game.

Since you are offering a cash game, you just need to to soften the blow for those who need to wait, here are some things we've done.
  1. Food and drinks... food and drinks... food and drinks... repeat it after me. Make sure you have dinner, then snacks for when the dinner ends, and booze.
  2. Picking the right people to invite who are friends. Good conversation at the table, even for those who have busted out, can still make people vested in watching who will win at the end. And you know what else helps facilitate good conversation? Food and drinks.
  3. Music playing in the background is amazing for ambience. Seriously, get some speakers. It works wonders to soften the mood for someone who just felted.
  4. Consider having other activities for people. We host in my co-host's living room, and she makes her PlayStation available to anyone who wants it. Though no one has taken her up on the offer yet because they are having a good time at the table. Instead of a cash game? Maybe consider board games. Cards against humanity, or similar.

What time do you start playing?

We usually play on Saturdays, starting the cash game at noon, breaking for dinner at 5pm, and running the tournament 6-11pm.
So we allow a five hour window for each. But nothing wrong with a 3-hour cash game followed by a 3 hour turbo tourney in a single evening, either.

So we allow a five hour window for each. But nothing wrong with a 3-hour cash game followed by a 3 hour turbo tourney in a single evening, either.
Oh, I missed the times in the first message. My bad lol.

This is a fantastic idea. Players will be able to come late and then you can start the tournament once everyone arrives instead of waiting around for people to show. It is a bigger time commitment if you have to leave during the tournament, but I think I will give this idea a try. Thanks @BGinGA!

This is a fantastic idea. Players will be able to come late and then you can start the tournament once everyone arrives instead of waiting around for people to show. It is a bigger time commitment if you have to leave during the tournament, but I think I will give this idea a try. Thanks @BGinGA!
It’s even easier if you give them a tourney start time. That way they know when the latest they can be there is.

When we used to run tournaments, the after tourney cash game was extremely popular! Many claimed they came just to get to the cash game! That’s said we never ran tournaments less than 25 people and usually over 30. Therefore there was enough people busting out to get a cash game going relatively quickly.

You just need enough people that play cash. I’m 49 so tournament play was the new thing 20 years ago. Most of our players grew up only playing cash poker.

It was awkward for the first few busting out but they would usually hang out watching the tv and grabbing a beer, etc. By the the time of the final table there were usually 7-10 playing cash. The 1st-3rd from the tournament often skipped the cash game as they were a bit exhausted or needed to decompress. But I remember post tournament cash games with two tables going until 2am ….when the tournament ended by 7:30!

Also a good way to introduce cash to people while they are in a card playing mood.

I've done it both ways. I prefer the cash game first as it allows folks to start playing right away and allows folks to show up when they can. We play a cash game until a set time, then cash out and play a tournament. Nice thing about ending with a tournament is it has an end and folks go home. I've done it the other way as well and it does give folks something to do if they bust out and their ride is still playing. All in all I prefer to end with a tournament and call it a night.

Hey everyone,
Ive recently hosted 1 tournament game ($25 bounty, 20k starting stack, 20m levels) and a few cash games (5¢/10¢, $20 max) and I really enjoyed them both. I hate having to pick which one I want to do when I host so I was thinking of making my games always start with a 2-3h long, $20 bounty tournament (6-9pm) then do a cash game afterward.

My biggest fear is that a few people will bust early from the tournament and not want to wait around until the cash game since I only have 1 table so I cap the players at 10. Another fear is that 8/9pm might be too late for people to want to start up a cash game. I usually host on Friday so by then people might be ready to just go home and go to bed after working all day and busting out of a tournament.

I wanted to know what everyone's thoughts were on doing a short single table tournament before starting up a cash game. Yay or nay?

So I primarily run cash games (.50/.50, $100 max). In an effort to boost attendance and recruit some fresh blood, I'm planning a $25 bounty tournament for my next one. I am going to cap it at two tables I think. I'm shooting for 4-5 hrs tourney with cash starting when the tourney goes down to one table. I do have a third smaller table I can use if there are enough itching to start and we aren't at the final table yet.

As a hook, I'm using my cash $5 for the bounty chips. Bring your bounties over to the cash table they can be put right into play. Or just have them redeemed from the bank if you're not interested. We'll see how it goes.

So I primarily run cash games (.50/.50, $100 max). In an effort to boost attendance and recruit some fresh blood, I'm planning a $25 bounty tournament for my next one. I am going to cap it at two tables I think. I'm shooting for 4-5 hrs tourney with cash starting when the tourney goes down to one table. I do have a third smaller table I can use if there are enough itching to start and we aren't at the final table yet.

As a hook, I'm using my cash $5 for the bounty chips. Bring your bounties over to the cash table they can be put right into play. Or just have them redeemed from the bank if you're not interested. We'll see how it goes.
Thats a cool idea, using a $5 chips for the bounty chips. I do like having the chip that says "bounty" on it though. When someone throws that in you know they mean business

Thats a cool idea, using a $5 chips for the bounty chips. I do like having the chip that says "bounty" on it though. When someone throws that in you know they mean business

Haha yes I agree, I wish I had actual bounty chips. I'm hoping that using the cash 5 works as a lure though. If I had bounty chips I'd probably use them, then ask if they want their bounties redeemed in cash or chips :)

Haha yes I agree, I wish I had actual bounty chips. I'm hoping that using the cash 5 works as a lure though. If I had bounty chips I'd probably use them, then ask if they want their bounties redeemed in cash or chips :)
I think you can get a pack of 10 from br pro poker for around $14. Small orders like that usually ship out fast too.

I did this for years and it worked… But we always had two tables going. Cash started once the tourney combined, always had enough interest.

About half my tourney regs were also cash players. Half never, ever played cash.

One other thing re: players busting out early… allow for re-buys. At least this will keep the cash game players active in tournament for a bit longer and make the wait for a cash game a little shorter or worth the wait. Not a perfect fix but it should help. At least if you are going to run a tournament first.

I have had a cash game available for those that get knocked out of the tournament early. We have alot of couples so its a nice option for those waiting for a spouse. We all have been playing long enough that if im still in the tournament when the cash game starts they are fine to monitor themselves once i give them chips. One BIG tip if you ever do the same is have your buyins pre-counted out BEFORE the tournament starts. We play .25/.50 so i have tubes counted out and ready for $20 $40 and $60 buyins so it only takes a second to get them going.
1700979778709.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom