Any Advice for Home Game Float on a $60-$200 buy in 0.5/1? (1 Viewer)

ThisIsDavin

Waiting List
Reaction score
Just looking for general advice for what I should be holding (read: withdrawing from the bank) for payouts when people leave the table.

Noting this is Australian Currency (50c/$1/$2/$5/$10/$20/$50):

Most likely I'll be buying in to the table with the float at $200, so at this stage I'm thinking of the following:

$20 of 50c coins (40ct)
$20 of $1 coins (20ct)
$40 of $2 coins (20ct)
$50 of $5 notes (10ct)
$70 of $10 notes (7ct)

With a high likelihood people will be buying in with $20/$50 notes in general.

Does this breakdown seem ok for paying out anything between 6-10 players?
Should I be looking at different counts per denom?

We play 50c/50c cash games with min $50 buyin and no max. To make it easier, we just round to the nearest $5. Saves having to mess about with coins and the players will usually just round down so I’m never out of pocket.

I’m not sure about your players but most wouldn’t care for the coins I think.

I just buy in with 10 x $5 notes and 10 x $10 notes and have some $20s in my pocket (which I usually use when I get stacked!) Have never once run out of change.

Have you ever had disputes from players with $4.50 though? It's my first decent stakes above the usual $20 home tournament and I'm not across the attitudes of the group when it comes to higher value

Appreciate the input.. I'm relatively convinced to do the $5 bulk now. So, in the case that there is potentially an extra $5/$10 in the bank at the end of the session, where do you typically put that? Dealers pocket? Highest chip winner? Lowest?

Have you ever had disputes from players with $4.50 though? It's my first decent stakes above the usual $20 home tournament and I'm not across the attitudes of the group when it comes to higher value

Adjust the blinds to $1/$1. Who in your group is going to fold their SB for over fifty cents?

The small blind is mostly for the 7:2 game pay out... Wanted to keep that value in check and not have it hit so hard

I keep $150 in my change box, $50 in singles and $100 in fives. Round down to the nearest dollar. The partial dollars can stay with the host. It's not a rake. Chances are they ate your snacks and drank your beverages.

You 100% do not need a float. Players get rounded up or down to the nearest note you have and leave the excess ($5/$10) in the next pot for everyone else.

If one of your players wants their $3, tell them to GTFO because at some point during the night, they probably put $30 in pre with 6/9 off and now they suddenly value $3 :rolleyes:

I keep a large change bank ($2000) of my own cash, separate from the actual bank. I just stockpile five and ten dollar bills plus a bunch of twenties/fifties/hundos. I use it to break bills when cashing people out if needed, and I use it to rebuy myself if I need more than 4-5 bullets and drain my wallet. I also as a courtesy will accept a venmo and use the change bank to buy someone in. .50/.50 game, 100max.

When people cash out early they usually round themselves down and put the loose change into the next pot. Otherwise I'll set it aside in the cash box. If someone pitched a fit about the $3 I'll just roll my eyes and give it to them :LOL: :laugh:

At the end of the night we cash everyone out to the nearest five and throw all the loose stuff into the middle and play a hand of thermonuclear Armageddon pineapple for it. It's usually $10-$30.

Last edited:
Anyone that says anything about change, you just stare at them, and then say one of the following
using a horrible British accent, which shouldn't be hard for you :LOL: :laugh: ;) 'Well aren't you a ripe old c*nt'
or in a holy'r than thou American voice 'why don't you go put another shrimp on the Barby, GTFO!'

It looks like you're trying to plan a single buy in of $200 to come up with a total chip count, you can do it that way but here is a more (hopefully) comprehensive way to approach a break down imo - Optimal Chip Break Down

If you and your players don't want to deal with coins, you can state ahead of time there is a "no coin policy." All cash out will be rounded down to the nearest $5.

You don't need a float; just buy in with a bunch of small bills. I would get $60 in $5s and $140 in $20s. Don't bother with $10s since two $5s will accomplish same job. Your players will supply $50s. You can also have some $100s so you can swap out some $20s/$50s if the stack of bills get too thick.

We round down to the nearest £5 and I buy in with small notes if I have them to help at cash out.

If a player has £4.50 then the player with some extra can throw him a couple of 25s if they want but I'll make mental notes if they always avoid tipping the house a couple of quid.

... (and although it's not compulsory) the same goes for those who end up well ahead and don't throw something in the bucket. Being £200 up in a 5/10/25p game and not leaving anything at all on the table is a bit off.

In some games I play, not mine, we still round down to the nearest £5 but will race off for the remaining balance.

Just want to thank everyone for their input. You've all helped me to make up my mind what I'm doing with my event.

If anyone wants to contribute further, it'll be primarily for the benefit of other forum members now. As having been provided with sufficient information for consideration and to digest, I will be turning off my notifications on this thread.

Again, thanks to everyone above for their invaluable input

If you and your players don't want to deal with coins, you can state ahead of time there is a "no coin policy." All cash out will be rounded down to the nearest $5.

You don't need a float; just buy in with a bunch of small bills. I would get $60 in $5s and $140 in $20s. Don't bother with $10s since two $5s will accomplish same job. Your players will supply $50s. You can also have some $100s so you can swap out some $20s/$50s if the stack of bills get too thick.
All you need is some $5s. Players will bring the $20s and $100s. Don't even need that many, just don't be generous with them. If someone cashes out for $55, then you ask them if they have a $5, take it and give them $60. If I use 8 $5 with my buy in, I'll have enough to cash the whole table out.

We currently are rounding down to the nearest dollar at cash-out. This money goes into our Bad Beat Jackpot.

After reading this thread, I'm considering rounding to the nearest $5, it would grow our Bad Beat much faster. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom