Would you enjoy playing $1/1 NLHE/PLO with only $1s and $20s on the table? (1 Viewer)

Would you enjoy playing $1/1 NLHE/PLO with only $1s and $20s?

• Yes, I want stacks and towers of checks I can't even see over

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • No, betting would get unwieldy

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters

jbutler

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I've mentioned it before, but I love the idea of playing a $1/1 big bet game with only $1s and $20s (or $25s) on the table. The idea would be to give out a rack of $1s plus big chips for any amount over $100 that someone buys in.

I was been inspired by the chip structure in California $5/10 NLHE games which uses only $5s and $100s and the Parx $10/10 NLHE game which uses only $10s and $100s. I've never played the Cali games and I've only played the Parx game like 15 or so times, but I loved there being so many chips on the table.

Obviously we all love lots of chips, but would this just be too much? The secondary benefit would be that it would be easy to switch back and forth between $1/1 big bet games and $3/6 limit games which would be good for dealer's choice nights as well.

Anyway, opinions?

I love the idea but would only play with people that know how to count chips properly. I can't tell you the number of times i see people counting in "stacks" of 1 or 2 chips at a time across the table, its so tilting.

I suspect all lovers of the pink chip limit games would love this 1/20 game. I know I would...

I'm not szure how much I'd enjoy this without a dealer, but with a good dealer to manage pots, I would definitely like to try this...

Can I pick both options? ;)

As much as I love stacks and towers of chips (and I do!) I also HATE having to use more than a stack to make a standard bet. I like to grab some chips and fire my bet out there, more or less in a particular rhythm, and anytime I'm in a situation where I have to futz around with a whole stack or more plus some other chips to make a bet, I feel like I'm potentially giving off some pretty big tells depending on how clumsy it ends up. $2/5 with all $5s is pretty tilting ($1/2 is usually OK, as a bet of more than $100 that isn't a shove is pretty uncommon.)

If I can buy in for $300 and have a rack of $1s to barricade myself behind PLUS a decent number of $20s to actually make bets with, I'd be down. If I'm buying in for a hundo and it's all singles, it would be a disincentive (but I would still play of course.)

This sounds really great on paper, especially to my inner chip geek. But while I've never played in a game with mountains and mountains of chips, it seems like it could be an nightmare if the number of $1's isn't reasonably controlled.

Reminds me of this 8/16 limit game, sans the bigger denom.

Nick-Reget-22-or-23-racks-of-8-16-at-Canterbury.jpeg

I love the idea but would only play with people that know how to count chips properly. I can't tell you the number of times i see people counting in "stacks" of 1 or 2 chips at a time across the table, its so tilting.

This drives me nuts at the table...... Player A bets 10, Player B raises to 70 and Player A counts out the extra 60 in 6 stacks of 2 red chips each..... ARGH!!!!

</rant>
</highjack>

Last edited:
Like links, my inner chip geek says... "Yea Man! let's do it", but the practicality of having that many $1s on the table is problematic

Reminds me of this 8/16 limit game, sans the bigger denom.

Nick-Reget-22-or-23-racks-of-8-16-at-Canterbury.jpeg

love that. must be at canterbury park in minnesota? there are so many hilarious things in that picture: the giant wall of seat cushions on the left; seat 2's ten-gallon new era hat; down syndrome shawn deeb in seat 4; the flip phone in the foreground...i could go on.

09141.jpg

$2/5 with all $5s is pretty tilting

i'm the other way - it tilts me when i play a home/underground $5/5 game and the host hands out a stack of $5s and the rest in $25s. i much prefer walking to a table with a rack of $5s.

This sounds really great on paper, especially to my inner chip geek. But while I've never played in a game with mountains and mountains of chips, it seems like it could be an nightmare if the number of $1's isn't reasonably controlled.

it can get ridiculously out of hand. a while back they stopped allowing people to buy into the $5/10 NLHE game at borgata with all $5s (or maybe they just discouraged it? either way, it doesn't happen anymore). prior to that, you couldn't distinguish the $5/10 NLHE from the $20/40 LHE game at the neighboring table. both tables were just vast seas of red.

that said, i think limiting each player to a rack of $1s would do the trick. then for rebuys do a stack of $1s and the rest in $20s.

We do this often in our home game especially if we are combining it with some limit games. An example is this weekend we are playing a 10 game WSOP rotation. Fix limit games are 3/6 to 5/10 (depending on kill/overs) and NL/PL games are 1/1. I'll put out a ton of 1s for the fixed limit rounds and then use 20s to help make bets easier during the NL/PL games. No one usually complains and most people like it this way. I will say that most of our group handles chips well and bets are made easily. Highly recommend!

Or like when they didnt color up quickly enough, mountains of chips are awesome to an extent, not sure what the limit is. Maybe like 5 racks per player? just guessng

20140508050114.gif

Reminds me of an old CT thread. About five years ago, there was a fellow in Springfield VA who had a regular home game (that I played in a couple of times), with a very nice custom set, which included over 4,000 $1s, generally all in play.

Anyone remember this?

Yes, I remember those Larry. There was some sort of bee theme. White dollars with simple (214?) blue (?) spots??

I've mentioned it before, but I love the idea of playing a $1/1 big bet game with only $1s and $20s (or $25s) on the table..
Anyway, opinions?

I voted yes. I think everyone should learn to cut checks and manage stacks, and this would be just the time to learn some chip handling. Nobody should ever count higher than five.

Large games $1s, $5s, and $100s

Small games 10c, 50c, $1, and $20s

I understand that most people traditionally used at least a three chip structure. This thread was specifically for thoughts on the two chip structure described.

Will I get crucified for suggesting $1's & $10's. Seems like it would be a little easier to count/control in theory.

In full disclosure I have never played in a game like this.

I have always envied abby99's game when she gets all of those Lady Luck $1's out.

Will I get crucified for suggesting $1's & $10's. Seems like it would be a little easier to count/control in theory.

In full disclosure I have never played in a game like this.

I have always envied abby99's game when she gets all of those Lady Luck $1's out.

I think a 1x / 10x structure might be better even. The only reason I was thinking 1x / 20x was because I already have those denoms. But like I said, Parx uses only $10s and $100s in their $10/10 game and it works great.

I think it changes the bet sizing dynamics. If I know the correct bet is $70-80 and I only have 2 $20 chips in front of me, I might end up betting non-optimally.

I like the concept. Just not sure about the execution.

The thought of a raise to 17 and waiting while four guys call makes my brain hurt

I like the idea but the practice would be a lil tedious and awkward counting bets each time.

The 1/10 structure might be fine.

I think it changes the bet sizing dynamics. If I know the correct bet is $70-80 and I only have 2 $20 chips in front of me, I might end up betting non-optimally.

I like the concept. Just not sure about the execution.

The thought of a raise to 17 and waiting while four guys call makes my brain hurt

I like the idea but the practice would be a lil tedious and awkward counting bets each time.

The 1/10 structure might be fine.

i think the $17 bet is sort of what berg was getting at - not a ton of those bets happening when you have to use either $1s or $20s - but yeah, that makes my head hurt as well. i'm definitely coming around to the $1 and $10 structure if i decided to implement something like this.

i guess i would want to have enough for each player to buy in for an average of $150 with a rack of $1s and 5 $10s and then enough for one rebuy per player for 20 $1s and the rest $10s and then $100s to fund a second rebuy per player. so for a 10-max game, that would be, rounding up to the next 20:

1200 $1s
180 $1s
20 $100s

not unreasonable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom