Lucky Hitler Cat Club MD-50 cash set (3 Viewers)

I like the rest... maybe center the nose at the focus of the whiskers, or move the whiskers so their focus is at the nose?

I was thinking the same thing - the angle of the whiskers on the original looks off.

Something like this:
whiskahs.png
?

I think this would be a cool font style to use. I don't know why but it seems to fit to me.

image.jpg

I think this would be a cool font style to use. I don't know why but it seems to fit to me.

View attachment 12467

Funnily enough I was looking at fonts last night/this morning. Like chicks living together, our chip cycles must be in sync.

Here are some early contenders:

• Belinda
  • Lavanderia
  • Birds of Paradise
  • Thirsty
  • Motion Picture
  • Blends
  • Authentic Ratatouille
  • Caprica Script
  • Believe
  • Hamster
  • Remachine
I'll try and mock a few examples up over the weekend...

Okay, here are a few font options. The free ones at least! :D
download.png

No.4 is too bold I think.
No.5 I'm not keen on the 'B'
No. 6 is too thin and the capital 'C' is a bit annoying

Grr. Just realized I've got all fonts set to faux italics, which gives them added slant.

I'm off to hunt chunky number fonts next...

I believe no.7 is 'Motion Picture'

the-black-cat-club-25-dollar-motion-picture.png
I've found a few more to try and some for the denoms to roadtest.

Most via Google Fonts, which I didn't even know existed. Pretty cool as you can enter your text (for me the numbers 0-9 and 'Black Cat') and you can scroll through tons of different results to see what might make for a good fit. Just change the default 'Grumpy wizards' text in the preview field to whatever tickles your fancy. Give it a shot

the-black-cat-club-25-dollar-motion-picture-elephant.png the-black-cat-club-25-dollar-motion-picture-gn-rooming.png
I've tried a few fonts for the denoms. Elephant (left) is nearest to what I'm after thus far but I'm trying to find a Serif font that's more akin to the Golden Nugget rooming chip style (right).

Can anyone recommend any fonts that are close? I might have to try some of the font forums...

I like this denomination treatment a lot. Very distinctive look, not often found on poker chip art. Would work very well for a cash set, not so much for tournament chips:

11305-5ac9f5d4ed4509245f337bbf7b355247.jpg

I like this denomination treatment a lot. Very distinctive look, not often found on poker chip art. Would work very well for a cash set, not so much for tournament chips:

11305-5ac9f5d4ed4509245f337bbf7b355247.jpg

How do you mean? Font style or with the circle around the denom?

I really love that denom treatment also, with circle around the denom; however, I don't think I'd go that route. Seems to detract from the cat's face imo. I like the elephant font you posted but prolly with a bit smaller denom. Great options, though! Loving the diamond cat nose.

Yeah I wasn't planning on going down that circle route for the demons, just like that font style on the 25. :)

Late to the party here but 4 of the 6 chips have a red base. That's a lot of red.

Late to the party here but 4 of the 6 chips have a red base. That's a lot of red.

25c - Pink
$1 - Blue
$5 - Mandarin Red
$25 - Green
$100 - Maroon
$500 - Retro Lavender

You mean red present as in RGB of the base?

25c - Pink
$1 - Blue
$5 - Mandarin Red
$25 - Green
$100 - Maroon
$500 - Retro Lavender

You mean red present as in RGB of the base?

That's correct. Sorry, I should have clarified. Pink, Mandarin Red, Maroon, and Retro Lavender are all from the red family (i'm pretty sure!) and that just seems like a lot from one area within a six chip set. For me, it's too much and not diverse enough but, two things:

1. No one else who has commented has really mentioned that as an issue and they all have a ton of experience with this.
2. If these are the colors you love and want for your custom set then go forth with your good self, sir. Don't stick to anyone's preferences or pre-conceived themes (Cali-set, Vegas colors, etc.) other than your own. You'll be playing with them, and you'll definitely be paying for them so do what you want.

Okay, hear me out....

After giving this some thought (and comparing several mock ups from up close and far away), I really think the circle-denomination is the way to go -- but on the flip side only, replacing the cat head. Accomplishes three things -- allows the cat head to be larger and more visible, allows the denomination to be larger and more visible, and prevents the awkwardness of having them both together and competing for the eye's attention. Bonus is that from a distance, all the chips will have a very similar look/profile, but up close both sides show off the two most important elements of the design.

I'd hate to see the awesome cat cramped and kept smallish because of space constraints caused by the denom (no matter which style is chosen).

Okay, hear me out....

After giving this some thought (and comparing several mock ups from up close and far away), I really think the circle-denomination is the way to go -- but on the flip side only, replacing the cat head. Accomplishes three things -- allows the cat head to be larger and more visible, allows the denomination to be larger and more visible, and prevents the awkwardness of having them both together and competing for the eye's attention. Bonus is that from a distance, all the chips will have a very similar look/profile, but up close both sides show off the two most important elements of the design.

I'd hate to see the awesome cat cramped and kept smallish because of space constraints caused by the denom (no matter which style is chosen).

I'll chew that over. Lots to think about!

I was aiming towards some of the old Flamingo chips for layout.

93451.jpg

...which admittedly have a taller/thinner graphic.

I like the Flamingo layout, but I don't think you can pull it off unless the kitty face gets a lot taller and skinnier. :)

I really love that denom treatment also, with circle around the denom; however, I don't think I'd go that route. Seems to detract from the cat's face imo. I like the elephant font you posted but prolly with a bit smaller denom. Great options, though! Loving the diamond cat nose.

denoms-same-font-size.png

I've tried to keep the denoms all the same font size across all chips. (And yeah, ditching the $25 in favor of $20). It leaves the single digit denoms a wee bit on the sparse side.

If I shorten the whiskers that would buy a smidge of width. Looking at this group, the denoms could move right and down a shade - a little too much whitespace underneath the denoms on these.

Or unless you can make the kitty peering out from behind the denom (just the numbers, not the circled denom,)

Interesting idea but it's a bit of a departure from what I was thinking. :)

I'm still pondering how the dual sided chip might look/work. My tourney set is double sided - that was something I was thinking of avoiding for this cash set. But we'll see!!

Or make the cat bigger, and the denom IN cat (on it's forehead?)

Toby, not sure the reason for making the single digit denoms same size? I think you can make them somewhat larger without it being unduly noticeable. Maybe a 15% increase?

Toby, not sure the reason for making the single digit denoms same size? I think you can make them somewhat larger without it being unduly noticeable. Maybe a 15% increase?

Yeah I'm coming round to this position as well.

This week I've been looking at moar denoms fonts. Thousands of the fuckers.

These are the current contenders. I've also rejigged the font size and made the cat heid larger.

Elephant (the one on previous mockups):
bcc-500-dollar-elephant-font.png
Binner:
bcc-500-dollar-binner-font.png
Blitzkrieg:
bcc-500-dollar-blitzkrieg-font.png
Poster Bodoni:
bcc-500-dollar-poster-bodoni-font.png
Thalia:
bcc-500-dollar-thalia-font.png
Victorian:
bcc-500-dollar-victorian-font.png
I also stumbled across a couple of alt fonts for Black Cat that I'm trying to source to roadtest. No luck yet tho.

Not got a tagline yet, still need to do that...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom