Puffin Card Club - CPC B-Diamond mock-up (1 Viewer)

I love love love the red denom! Cool mock ups! Can't wait to see how they turn out. I like scroll here, also a big fan of CSQ

IMG_9314.jpeg

:D I searched for half an hour for cracked eggs vector images but all I found ain't fit at all to the overall theme... Since the puffin is Cartoon-ish the egg must be as well but it looks weird below the puffin ...

I used the AI generated Illustrator function as well but ain't liked the output so far...

Thx for the suggestion... Yeah, I know exactly what you mean... But there is a little problem here since the Puffin vector is out of axis itself... I don't know if you can see it by rotating the zoomed in Inlay until the Puffin is horizontaly alligned: it just ain't look right ... and honestly I like the non alligned look here very much. I already tried to use a stronger off-axis but it ain't work very good since I have to adjust the text as well.
I like the slight tilt as well. A significant part of my life has been spent chasing waterfowl across the US and Canada and thats EXACTLY what those kind of birds look like coming in. Look at any artwork of waterfowl and you will see this slight tilt on a very significant amount of pieces. Its honestly kind of iconic to these types of birds.

Last edited:
Yeah, absolutely !!! :cool

And now, hopefully the last update…. I tried to create a black background color for the denoms but I realised that the other text looked a bit faded since it was some sort of dark red/purple and an orange background…. So I made this text black as well and I really fact that the text supports the puffin color a bit as well since it is black and orange now…. I wanted the text and denoms to be as clean as possible in the beginning, but the font (that I will use 100%) is not that bold and so I had to improvise with the second layer placed behind …
167ef173-0b8f-4ca7-b1c2-3abea2f2afc1.png

1a517cb5-19f6-4c70-b023-e6781df8d847.png

b1f7b5c9-4703-4b33-84e8-298ceb042765.png

dd241cb9-ed74-4460-9278-2f02b89026e0.png

3a3a1f1b-5bac-4692-ac27-eaf80241bd05.png

I think the text is vastly improved on this latest iteration vs. previous versions.

The only thing that stands out to me are the DG Tiger/Peach edge spots on the NCV chip - to me they’re a miss. IMO, all DG Tiger or all peach would be an improvement (Tiger would be my choice)

I think the text is vastly improved on this latest iteration vs. previous versions.

The only thing that stands out to me are the DG Tiger/Peach edge spots on the NCV chip - to me they’re a miss. IMO, all DG Tiger or all peach would be an improvement (Tiger would be my choice)
I actually agree with this 100% and I would go all DG Tiger as well. I am also hoping the Mandarin Red shows up on the Maroon as well as it does here. I will have to look at my color samples when I get home.

Thx for the suggestion! Well, the mix of DG Tiger and DG peach represents the colors of the Puffins beak since it has variations of dark orange (or even red) and light orange. And since this chip was added as a special puffin chip, it was logical to me to include this variation in the edgespot colors. Using just one of the two colors on that special chip just don’t feel right to me.

Knowing you I figured there was a very specific reason for your choice. I know you have completely thought every part of this set thru. Sometimes color selection lies deeper than simply what might look the best to the eye. That Maroon and Mandarin Red will look great together as well imo. Can't wait to see the finished product!!
1710115061560.png

The reason for the Mandarin Red was that it has a bit orange in it compared to the other reds so it will match the warm color tone of the maroon nicely...

The reason for the Mandarin Red was that it has a bit orange in it compared to the other reds so it will match the warm color tone of the maroon nicely...
I appreciate the use of maroon here. It's an under used color (though, for reasons that make sense considering how dark it is when seen in person). I've never figured out a way to incorporate it in any of my customs. It looks good here and works well in the set. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of these when they show up!

I made a last change to the "special" chip since I wasn't sure which way to go: all in chip / NCV or Nit... And so I came back to my first idea and I came up with these two new versions by using "Iceland" as some sort of a neutral text without limiting the intended use... I like both versions, with little tendencies towards the bigger text using two rows...

5444668d-ff3e-4c8c-961f-899bc8ca.png

d3024877-4c49-4391-ae0e-12054064.png

I made a last change to the "special" chip since I wasn't sure which way to go: all in chip / NCV or Nit... And so I came back to my first idea and I came up with these two new versions by using "Iceland" as some sort of a neutral text without limiting the intended use... I like both versions, with little tendencies towards the bigger text using two rows...

View attachment 1291350
View attachment 1291351
Strong tendency for the double row here too!

I really like what you have done. When I see 'NCV' on a chip it sort of feels like 'duh' or redundant if that makes sense...its kind of obvious if it doesn't have a denomination. I like when someone uses a meaningful symbol or something else instead. Athenian Owl comes to mind amongst others. Preferences are really interesting to me. I personally like the top one that is single line. It's not even close to me. Whatever you choose will be great.

An idea that you could play with is to change the text colour of Puffin Card Club to match the darkest clay colour on each chip. Or maybe not the text itself but the colour of the shadow…

An idea that you could play with is to change the text colour of Puffin Card Club to match the darkest clay colour on each chip. Or maybe not the text itself but the colour of the shadow…
I thought a lot about a way to include Spot colors but in the end I had no "good" idea how to realise that in a nice way... I could use the spot colors alternately for each letter of the second text layer behind that black front letter... But since this layer obviously will be hard to see on a 7/8 inch inlay I ain't sure if this will be a good idea... I hope to get some time today to test this... Thx for the suggestion!!

So. I actually found some time to make these adjustments today - I took all the edgespot colors to use these for the shadowed background text layer... long story short: my wife thinks, that it looks too busy on some of these chips, and I think that's true... on the 25ct chip it wasn't a good idea to use the bright white since it was too hard to see, even on the bigger images. On a real chip I bet that it wouldn't be visible at all, so I used the base color as the second color...

here are the results:

e45d4cc5-7be6-489d-9eac-3590ae740bce.png

59561c1b-f22b-400f-b191-9a27289965f6.png

afaefbb4-67ff-47a4-8038-c84e1bf33c54.png

eb1fd654-5088-471b-a7f8-f7858d82e262.png

f0d233b1-437b-4a38-ad28-a4ea76d2476c.png

Overall, I like these versions, but in the end, I like the previous black/orange version better. I will make a compromise by using the 2-color-background text for the special "Iceland" chip. On this chip, I adjusted the Puffin's feet a little bit to get more space for bigger text... I like it very much how this turned out and I think that this is better than NIT, NCV or All in, even that I liked them a lot...

So, this will be the final version:

f9a748af-8f59-48bc-a688-d2e5ae81b676.png

0f881c0a-8173-45f3-8db8-8c8d5d1f7a7c.png

5caa65bb-6ac0-4393-be69-c1f7b6af79ea.png

a453c2cd-9882-48d3-a0a0-e34e53ccf97e.png

c438245f-100a-4910-af15-05d81a2e292f.png

Attachments

• 59561c1b-f22b-400f-b191-9a27289965f6.png
    59561c1b-f22b-400f-b191-9a27289965f6.png
    458.8 KB · Views: 15
Fantastic, I love this final proof and I would have made the exact same decisions.:tup: Not sure if that's worth much though! LOL
1000021961.gif

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom