Puffin Card Club - CPC B-Diamond mock-up (2 Viewers)

NeoViny23

Straight
Reaction score
I‘d like to share the first rough version of a mock-up for my next CPC order that I will place in the next weeks. My first idea was to save a lot of time by using the Rounders Cologne Inlay for a second time with just some minor changes. But hell yeah, that’s dull…. So in a total Yoda-Moment I had the funny idea to create a theme that would make my wife smile all day by using something based on our last holliday where we visited Iceland. This journey was simply breathtaking and it was by far the best holliday of our life - so there should be nothing wrong with an inlay that will remind us on that journey everytime we will use these chips, right? One of the best experiences we made in Iceland was a trip to a Puffin colony where we spent a lot of time observing these cute little birds from very close distance. So the idea was born and I wanted to check out how this might look as a mock-up. After searching the net for some useful puffin vector images I found a great image of a flying Puffin that I liked a lot and where I instantly had an idea of how I could place the denoms and words around the bird.

This is just a first „it could look this„ mock-up that I put together to surprise my wife, but, yeah you knew it already: she instantly smiled and of course she loooooves this mock-up :love:

I ain’t made any attempts to create a nice background so far, so it’s just a simple grey for demonstration. Maybe I will add some sort of a whased out color or some textured looking layer… or some sort of sunbeams that goes from the center behind the Puffin towards the outer area of the inlay… ain’t sure about it right now, but I have a few month left before David needs the final artwork. Also I didn’t make different denoms, but there will be 5 chips: 25ct / $1 / $5 / $20 / and some sort of Bounty/Stand up/NCV chip. The last one will use the main puffin colors black, white, red and orange.

The base colors of the Hoser Hut 2.0 set by @cpac54 (that I was able to play at the Cologne Card Carnival 2023) where a great inspiration for the first three base colors of this mock-up. These colors simply pop and look amazingly good side by side.

The first two mock-ups have a different soon-to-be-$20 chip version, one retro blue and one maroon base. I have to admit that I like the look of the retro blue a bit more, but there would be two blue base colors in this lineup so thats not my most loved combo… I also tested it with a Blurple base that looks amazing too, but since I used Blurple in my Rounders Cologne set, this is also not my number one choice. The maroon is my favorite right now…

IMG_0427.png
IMG_0428.png

The dg pink to the left could be an alternative for the frac (with an edgespot that fits better into the progression, even that I like the 3A14 more). The two black chips are different versions of the bounty/stand up chip… the left one fits better into the overall theme, but on the other hand, the one to the right seperates more due to the different edgespot style… I love both versions a lot and right now it’s a coin flip in my eyes…

IMG_0429.png

After using CSQ on my Rounders Cologne set I will definitely chose the B-diamond mold for this set. I really love the rough texture on the facesites of the B-Diamond mold chips.

Any feedback, help and suggestions are very welcome. Thanks a lot in advance :D

the blurple chip looks insane. Have you tried using chocolate base instead for a $20/25 if you don't want to use blurple/maroon?

Here is a little update with some different inlay colors and a different „bounty“ chip, that reminds me more of a Puffin and with spots that represents an open beak …

#1 color fading background … I like it a lot, but there is always a risk that the color matching wouldn’t be very accurate based on little color differences of the clay from time to time, even that @timinater shared an awesome and extremely useful sheet with cpc matching color codes

IMG_0434.png

#2 some sort of antique white, giving the inlay a smoother look. Ain’t had the time to draw a thin outline on that white body part of the puffin, I think would be recommended here…

IMG_0433.png

I think a puffin theme fits wonderfully with the look of the FLV $1/Capital $20.

What do you think of this?

1701207223308.png

Inspiration:
IMG_E9452.JPG

I appreciate your feedback guys ..

I think a puffin theme fits wonderfully with the look of the FLV $1/Capital $20.

What do you think of this?

Thx for the suggestion. That fabulous chip looks awesome! If the CPC "V" edgespot would look similar to the Paulson Version I would love the look, but I have to admit that I ain't a big fan of that CPC "V"...

My 2 cents for the $5.

Something like that?

3479a930-2b24-4f8f-865e-7ffdb9e20749.png

Ain't sure if the progression would work well with the $20/25....

The 414418 I had in my previous mockups that I ain't uploaded... In the end I wanted something else by giving the progression more noticeable structure... For my taste, the 814 always looks pretty overloaded and I wouldn't use it in any of my stets. I used the 614 almost 20 years ago and love to this day, but won't use it this time either...

I think the 3TA316 would be a nice addition as well, but I defenitely won't use it after a 4D14.

Do you love the $5 with the green spot? What about DG peach instead of DG arc yellow? You have DG Arc yellow on three chips in a row.

Do you love the $5 with the green spot? What about DG peach instead of DG arc yellow? You have DG Arc yellow on three chips in a row.
Oh, you are absolutely right... but I defenitely will have a DG Arc Yellow base chip this time... I will change the dg Arc Yellow to dg Peach on that $20/25...

Today I had the idea „hey, it’s a bird… so why ain’t add a spotted bird chip????“…. Ireally loved that idea and so I test-changed one chip and received some suggestions in the German PCF whats app group. At first I wanted the „bounty/nit„ chip to be the spotted bird, but @OfficerLovejoy recommended to use it as a workhorse… that said, I tested that as well but the spot progression ain’t look right to me… so @Dingdingding had the brilliant idea to use it as a frac… @cpac54 also had a good idea of a different line up of the three colors of that spot so the spots look a bit more „harmonic“ compared to my version where the white spot was the one in the middle between retro red and maroon.

I also made some changes to the $20/25 so there is no longer DG arc yellow or DG peach on that chip… I really like it that way and it feels like I’m getting closer to the finish line ….

IMG_0437.png

Maybe the 2D14 on the $1 fits better in that progrssion, but it looks a bit odd to me…. Too bad that there is no 2TA316…

IMG_0438.png

It's not a brilliant idea i can claim for myself, but i really loved @ThinkingFolds the Sliding Rock Downs with the Flamingo pattern as a frac.

Really looking forward to see those Puffins fly over the felt :love:

Today I had the idea „hey, it’s a bird… so why ain’t add a spotted bird chip????“…. Ireally loved that idea and so I test-changed one chip and received some suggestions in the German PCF whats app group. At first I wanted the „bounty/nit„ chip to be the spotted bird, but @OfficerLovejoy recommended to use it as a workhorse… that said, I tested that as well but the spot progression ain’t look right to me… so @Dingdingding had the brilliant idea to use it as a frac… @cpac54 also had a good idea of a different line up of the three colors of that spot so the spots look a bit more „harmonic“ compared to my version where the white spot was the one in the middle between retro red and maroon.

I also made some changes to the $20/25 so there is no longer DG arc yellow or DG peach on that chip… I really like it that way and it feels like I’m getting closer to the finish line ….

View attachment 1235241

Maybe the 2D14 on the $1 fits better in that progrssion, but it looks a bit odd to me…. Too bad that there is no 2TA316…

View attachment 1235243
Personally, I liked the colour scheme on your previous $5 better. I also feel a 3D14 would be a good spot progression in this lineup, as nice as 3TA316 is.

I also liked the bit of yellow in your previous $25 chip, but the new one works too.

IMG_1326.jpeg

That's the final mockup and the order has been placed. I just had no time to work on the inlay but I have plenty of time to get this finished. I will defenitely don't use "Bounty" in that quarterpie, it probably will be an NCV chip....

I really love the outcome of this set so I placed the order without any hesitation. Special thanks to @Dingdingding @Mr_Y3RAC and @5aces for your support and suggestions, I appreciate!

b972c063-0e9a-4e9a-935b-cafd1323950b.png

So here is the latest update for the Inlay that is almost finished ... I made "Puffin" and the denoms a bit more bold to make it easier to read, also I changed the background a little bit to make the gradient a bit smoother. Ain't sure if I will use NCV for the quarterpie - maybe I can arrange something with David to get some All-In and/or NIT chips on this quarterpie as well.... I'm getting closer to the finish line.

5f159e93-c521-4178-a6ec-8af6be2f.png

fcf74346-15b9-4f2f-8d61-17397dfa.png

3818b599-02e4-4553-a419-cc3a3a4e388b.png

0d2ad4f1-fb65-45a5-b33b-859a26721837.png

0de2d346-6a96-413e-8ec3-4faab94c32a9.png

f365f21a-b70d-4e5b-9eca-f49eed84e01b.png

Are you sure you want the wingspan of the puffin to be off the horizontal axis? I figure it might look better if it wad on-axis or more severely off-axis. The text should be on-axis as much as possible.

;) So here is the latest update for the Inlay that is almost finished ... I made "Puffin" and the denoms a bit more bold to make it easier to read, also I changed the background a little bit to make the gradient a bit smoother. Ain't sure if I will use NCV for the quarterpie - maybe I can arrange something with David to get some All-In and/or NIT chips on this quarterpie as well.... I'm getting closer to the finish line.

View attachment 1289030

View attachment 1289031
View attachment 1289032
View attachment 1289033
View attachment 1289034
View attachment 1289035
Fabulous and colourful! Put me down for a sample ;)

Are you sure you want the wingspan of the puffin to be off the horizontal axis? I figure it might look better if it wad on-axis or more severely off-axis. The text should be on-axis as much as possible.
Thx for the suggestion... Yeah, I know exactly what you mean... But there is a little problem here since the Puffin vector is out of axis itself... I don't know if you can see it by rotating the zoomed in Inlay until the Puffin is horizontaly alligned: it just ain't look right ... and honestly I like the non alligned look here very much. I already tried to use a stronger off-axis but it ain't work very good since I have to adjust the text as well.

I am not a huge fan of scroll mold but I have to admit that I really like what you did with this set :tup:
And love your art design :love: !

You know i love these and already look forward to the first session with the Puffins... And i think they look awesome.

The only thing i would change if it was me is the NCV. I mean it doesn't have a number on them, so i feel there is no danger of mistaking this for a cash chip. For versatility reasons, you could also do like an egg or even a nest with eggs. And if you like to, these eggs could have NIT, All-In and a question mark on them for full versatility?

Haha yeah - I wonder by myself that I ended up with the scroll mold since I was 100% sure to use the b-mold this time... In the end I wanted this set to be really different from my previous sets and so I took scroll. And I think that the waves of the mold represents (or reminds of) aerodynamics nicely.

After adjusting some of denoms today I tried to change the color of Puffin Card Club and while doing this I thought it might be a nice touch to add a different color to the already existing second layer (that creadted a bolder look) and I love the look... It might be to small to be very prominent on the final chip, but it might work well since it gives the theme a little more depth.... Any thoughts about the last change are very appreciate !! Thx a lot in advance....

786441aa-5dc8-4f2b-b354-7a143158.png

7d1d596b-d263-4a33-9f20-d2c2077f.png

You know i love these and already look forward to the first session with the Puffins... And i think they look awesome.

The only thing i would change if it was me is the NCV. I mean it doesn't have a number on them, so i feel there is no danger of mistaking this for a cash chip. For versatility reasons, you could also do like an egg or even a nest with eggs. And if you like to, these eggs could have NIT, All-In and a question mark on them for full versatility?
Nice idea! I honestly have doubts that my Illustrator skills would be enough to add this to the artwork without ripping apart the look of this theme :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: I already tried to use the iceland coast line below the puffin but it looked weird and took away the focus from the Puffin itself. That said, if I would add a nest with an egg and/or the NIT text in it, the text would be very small... The Card Club text will be hard to read since the size is already not that big...

Oh... Instant shocking good idea: what about a simple egg that is about to crack Up??!!! So this chip could be used for different things since we ain't know whats inside... Haha, ok, a puffin for sure, but not if it will be a female or male bird... You know what I mean :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
I like that idea....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom