Fantasy-Set: The Ocean Club - feedback on design & idea (Tournament) (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Ahoy PCF,

I've had a lot of time to spare on the weekend and I dug up some photos. I stumbled upon pictures of my sailing trip on the Sailing Training Ship of the Royal Navy of Oman (Shabab Oman II for those interested), and it gave me the inspiration to start another set of chips. I love sailing and everything related to it, my dad was a sailor and he brought me with him onto different ships when I was still a child, so I have a special connection to this theme and I want to make it a reality.

After some thought the name "The Ocean Club" stuck with me and I think I'll go with that one. Other varations were "Oceans Club" and "Oceans Cardroom". I like The Ocean Club most, it's a fictional Club for everyone that is in love with the sea and playing poker.

For the theme I had some broad imagination: T25-set, no flashy colors, nautical theme, darker colors & simple/elegant chips, white inlay, Rebuy-, Bounty-, Seat-Chip

I recently read a thread discussing denoms on only one side/both sides, and I wanted to explore different options. So I designed a main front side and 2 alternative back sides in case I'd decide against using the front side front&back.

I mocked up my first idea and would love to have some feedback on the design and theme.

General Logo (I plan on doing a big wall-piece in the future):
Main Logo.png

Fonts:
Fonts.png

Front Inlay:
Main Face Inlay.png

Alt. Back 1 & 2: (I would lie, if I'd say the first one isn't inspired by the Rounders design...)
Alt Back 2 Inlay.png
Alt Back 1 Inlay.png

Rebuy, Bounty, Seat:
Rebuy Inlay.png
Bounty Inlay.png
Seat Inlay.png

And here the chip set:
Mock 2.png

Front/Back comparison:
Mock 1.png

I am still tweaking a lot of things as this post goes online, but I am very thankful for any comments and feedback on the work. I am not happy with the yellow chip, maybe it's just that yellow in the CPC design tool which I don't like.

I will probably not be able to afford real clay chips, which is why I am currently looking into a ceramic hybrid, maybe the web mold, the structure is similar to a rope after all. I think this offers the benefit of being able to print the inlay with a very high resolution, since it does have a lot of fine lines.

For now, I'll go and grab a glass of whisky and wait for some responses.

Cheers,
Daniel

P.S.: some pics from sailing

f9bb3e9b-305c-4b36-8949-fb0134ea8a9a.jpg
IMG_7961.JPG
IMG_8190.JPG
20211107_140847.jpg
IMG-20211205-WA0002.jpg

I love it! The font, layout, and icons look good. The cardinal directions (N, NE, E, etc) on the ring looks great. I think this would make a compelling tourney set.

A couple suggestions:
  • Seems like sailing has such a rich lexicon that you can come up with something more unique/compelling than Ocean Club.
  • You could put different icons on the back. Compass on T100, anchor on T500, Oar (or something) on T1000, etc.

I love it! The font, layout, and icons look good. The cardinal directions (N, NE, E, etc) on the ring looks great. I think this would make a compelling tourney set.

A couple suggestions:
  • Seems like sailing has such a rich lexicon that you can come up with something more unique/compelling than Ocean Club.
  • You could put different icons on the back. Compass on T100, anchor on T500, Oar (or something) on T1000, etc.
Thanks!

- Regarding the name, I am kind of happy so far. It might not be super unique, I agree, but since this is a fantasy set, I imagine it as the one and only Ocean Club, the legendary establishment where all the great sailors went to play poker while laying in port. You know, all the others are just copies ;)

- This is a great idea. I gave up some progression because I used the same edge spots, so this could make the set a bit more dynamic maybe

This idea is worth of pursuing IMO.

Can the compass ring be color matched to the chip? With white letters? (might not work)
It's something I considered, but for the white 5k chip, this would not work and that made me scrap the idea.

I just noticed the spots are colored so the "north" spot is distinct. I like it!
Yep, I thought that fit's the compass ring around the inlay. Thank you for your input!

I like a slight off-white label better, but that's really a question of preference. Looks great otherwise. I will say CPC recommends your text and graphic fit within 3/4". Not sure what will happen to the cardinal directions outside that circle.

1707854754218.png

Attachments

• 1707854688083.png
    1707854688083.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 13
I like a slight off-white label better, but that's really a question of preference. Looks great otherwise. I will say CPC recommends your text and graphic fit within 3/4". Not sure what will happen to the cardinal directions outside that circle.

View attachment 1273072

Thank you for the feedback. I am aware of the limitation you mentioned. However (sadly) a CPC set is currently financially not in reach, which is why it'll probably be a ceramics hybrid set. (With option of upgrading it to a CPC set someday in the future)

I actually want to have a slight aged/off-white inlay on the finished product. I want it to resemble the canvas material and look of a sail. the plain white was just for the first design. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom