How would you rule? (1 Viewer)

If you're saying you have a full barrel in your hand, you move out, drop $25 in one pile, then slide over and drop $25 more in another pile, then take the rest back without verbalizing anything, then by my understanding that is the very definition of a string bet and should not be allowed.
Right. The bet is 25, and the rest is a string-bet attempt. You don't get to drop some chips and then continue dropping more until you decide you're done.

Verbalize, people. Just say what you want to bet first, and after that you can choose to carry it out however you like.

It's exciting to see Pile Theory broached this early. It usually takes a lot more foundation building until we finally get there around Page 8, if at all.

Yeah I consider anyone that bets that way, grabbing a barrel and extending it over the line but holding it above the table and dropping/cutting out chips without verbalizing to be angling anyway. Is he betting $5 or $100??? If someone is going to bet that way without verbalizing and drops 3 chips then you can only say it's $15.

Strongly advise people this is a crappy way to bet and it's not cute. Cut your chips out behind the betting line and/or verbalize you bet to begin with.

How would you rule?

Post flop, when checked to, a player picks up a stack of chips, moves the stack over the betting line. A few chips fall off the top, back towards his stack and behind the line. He then releases three red chips ($15) over the line. Then a second later says $30, and fishes the chips that fell backwards to complete the bet.
If the release of the 3 red chips was clearly before the verbal, then it's $15. If it were close to the same time, I would rule $30.

Whenever I read a rulings thread where everyone replies like "you can't splash the pot, you can't drop half the barrel from your hand to bet, you can't take your pants off at the table!"

I'm like:

1693593845793.png

edit to say or maybe your home games are filled with sharks who are reading the room while stringbetting, and not simply weekend warriors 6 drinks deep who in throwing out chips miscounted or grabbed the wrong ones and are hurrying to shout out the proper amount before their chips hit the table in hopes of getting the right amount out there.

Yeah I consider anyone that bets that way, grabbing a barrel and extending it over the line but holding it above the table and dropping/cutting out chips without verbalizing to be angling anyway. Is he betting $5 or $100??? If someone is going to bet that way without verbalizing and drops 3 chips then you can only say it's $15.

Strongly advise people this is a crappy way to bet and it's not cute. Cut your chips out behind the betting line and/or verbalize you bet to begin with.
And if people don't correct this when it happens, it becomes the norm.

Then, when called out in the future, the person falls back on "I do this all the time and it's not a problem."

Except it is a problem. It's just not a problem people want to have to argue with you about every time you do it.

This is why I'm a fan of ruling on it strictly. String bet = you bet the first thing you dropped. Don't like it? Stop doing it.

And if people don't correct this when it happens, it becomes the norm.

Then, when called out in the future, the person falls back on "I do this all the time and it's not a problem."

Except it is a problem. It's just not a problem people want to have to argue with you about every time you do it.

This is why I'm a fan of ruling on it strictly. String bet = you bet the first thing you dropped. Don't like it? Stop doing it.

Yes sir

Verbal is binding regardless of previous physical action. $30. It's happened to me a few times where I pick up 8 chips intending to put them all out, but 2 or 3 slip off the top of the stack while I'm picking the chips up before I can verbally announce my bet.
This is absolutely not true. Verbal is only binding if it is BEFORE a physical action. You don't get to put $100 in the pot and then 3 seconds later say $40. Action is binding if it comes first.

Whole second and half. Not split second. How long of a gap between chips and verbal before you'd say the bet is 15?
This is the crux of the question. If the delay was short or close to instantaneous, i think there's some leeway for the decision maker, but in poker action, 2 full seconds is way past the point of no return.

One of my pet peeves is players who can't be bothered to verbalize in a spot where there's room for confusion. After the chip fumble, why throw 15 forward and then try to amend it afterward? Just say you're betting 30 before you release anything, so there's no question. So many problems arise from people wanting to bet in ways that are unnecessary and leave room for angling.
You can also just call "time" on yourself to stop anyone from acting after you and then verbalize, as you should have done in the first place.

Yeah I consider anyone that bets that way, grabbing a barrel and extending it over the line but holding it above the table and dropping/cutting out chips without verbalizing to be angling anyway.
See I don't get that at all, that's pretty standard procedure where I've played. We also have as many limit games as no limit (due to regulations) so that might be part of the reason. I have always understood it's what's released that counts.

Now that said in WSOP video to which @WedgeRock mentioned.

Where's that video from the WSOP 10-15 years ago where the Russian moves in a stack, then pulls it back and bets two chips and the floor is called and the floor ruled the bet was only the two chips?

Dude was sliding chips, not holding them, I would consider that stack to be released for sure.

Oh and last note. BETTING LINE IS A MYTH. It is forward motion and release that matters. The betting line is mostly a courtesy for those poor dealers that suffer from short arm syndrome.

Whenever I read a rulings thread where everyone replies like "you can't splash the pot, you can't drop half the barrel from your hand to bet, you can't take your pants off at the table!"

I'm like:

View attachment 1189086

edit to say or maybe your home games are filled with sharks who are reading the room while stringbetting, and not simply weekend warriors 6 drinks deep who in throwing out chips miscounted or grabbed the wrong ones and are hurrying to shout out the proper amount before their chips hit the table in hopes of getting the right amount out there.
I’m sometimes with you on this. I started a string bet rant of my own a few months ago. But this particular method of betting - grabbing a whole stack, reaching them out arm’s length, dropping a few off the bottom, then pulling back the stack - is particularly douchey and I don’t like it.

Also douchey - making fun of Holdem games. Oh, I’m too cool to play with only two cards. Shut it, no one cares!

See I don't get that at all, that's pretty standard procedure where I've played. We also have as many limit games as no limit (due to regulations) so that might be part of the reason. I have always understood it's what's released that counts.

I realize it's fairly standard procedure but it shouldn't be. I've seen it happen all the time and everyone says that's just the way I bet. If so it's a bad habit that should be broken.

The only reason to grab a large stack of chips that is more than you intend to bet and shove them over the line (even in the air) is for effect, to get reactions from others behind you/angle.

Limit games follow a strict betting amount, you can only call or raise a specific amount so the theatrics of a big fake-out bet with a stack of chips loses the effect.

Oh and last note. BETTING LINE IS A MYTH. It is forward motion and release that matters. The betting line is mostly a courtesy for those poor dealers that suffer from short arm syndrome.

It really shouldn't be a myth. IMO the betting line should extend into the air, you put chips into the betting area, they are intended to go in the betting area. Why have a line of demarcation on the table if it's not going to be used as such. But alas, I know nobody wants that to be the way and the bad betting habits will continue.

I'm feeling spicy today, but I'll wave the flag on this one and agree to disagree with most of the points made so far.

I agree that putting down three chips over the betting line, verbalizing three more, and putting three more over the line over the course of a few seconds is a string bet.

To me, it's not a string bet if someone picks up 6 chips, drops three over the betting line by accident, and a second later verbalizes their bet of all six, and puts the rest over the line. No one here has fumbled chips before? Unlikely.

I’m sometimes with you on this. I started a string bet rant of my own a few months ago. But this particular method of betting - grabbing a whole stack, reaching them out arm’s length, dropping a few off the bottom, then pulling back the stack - is particularly douchey and I don’t like it.

Also douchey - making fun of Holdem games. Oh, I’m too cool to play with only two cards. Shut it, no one cares!
I played micro stakes hold em only at the last game I attended and had a blast thank you very much.

I don't hate or make fun of hold em. I hate playing a solved game with a group of regs who play correctly and are there to make the right decision every decision. I maintain every right to make fun of that boring bunk - douchey or not!

15 $ and warning,
I do know exact player from my bunch

I don't hate or make fun of hold em. I hate playing a solved game with a group of regs who play correctly and are there to make the right decision every decision. I maintain every right to make fun of that boring bunk - douchey or not!
Oh that’s fair. I don’t want to play with them either. You need dumber friends. Or friends who hate money.

I'm feeling spicy today, but I'll wave the flag on this one and agree to disagree with most of the points made so far.

I agree that putting down three chips over the betting line, verbalizing three more, and putting three more over the line over the course of a few seconds is a string bet.

To me, it's not a string bet if someone picks up 6 chips, drops three over the betting line by accident, and a second later verbalizes their bet of all six, and puts the rest over the line. No one here has fumbled chips before? Unlikely.
Just to be clear this case was slightly the opposite. Some chips fell backwards behind the line rather than forwards.

Just to be clear this case was slightly the opposite. Some chips fell backwards behind the line rather than forwards.
Gotcha. Either way the bet across the line was short of the verbal declared amount.

If the player waited several seconds from chips falling to verbal declaration, then yes, string bet. If they said "oh, my bad, I meant to put out $30, not $15" right away, not a string bet.

I've fumbled chips before. Bunch of times.

When it happens, I verbalize my action as soon as possible so that there's no room for anyone to say I bet anything other than what I intended.

It's really easy. Highly recommend.

I've fumbled chips before. Bunch of times.

When it happens, I verbalize my action as soon as possible so that there's no room for anyone to say I bet anything other than what I intended.

It's really easy. Highly recommend.
Indeed. I agree if there was a more than reasonable lapse between fumble and verbal declaration, then yes, string bet it is.

It really shouldn't be a myth. IMO the betting line should extend into the air, you put chips into the betting area, they are intended to go in the betting area. Why have a line of demarcation on the table if it's not going to be used as such. But alas, I know nobody wants that to be the way and the bad betting habits will continue.
I could not disagree more, especially if in the very same post your are concerned about too many theatrics. If the betting line becomes the line of demarcation as you put it, then you invite just about "anything goes" as far as angle shooting so long as it's behind the line. You are also inviting a world where we have to determine action essentially the same way goal line plays are evaluated in the NFL.

"Forward motion and release" is simple and widely understood.

As someone who has only been playing serious poker for a little over a year, I would like some clarity on this. When considering my bet, and formulating how much I want to push out, I'll often grab a stack or a few chips and begin to stack and count them next to the rest of my chips. Sometimes adding more or taking some away before eventually pushing out and/or declaring a bet amount. This new stack might be somewhat forward from where they were. But it's well back of the printed betting line on the table we play on. Are you saying as soon as I move chips forward and let go of them, that's my bet? Because that's never been called on me by my group. I've always been of the impression that we do consider the printed line on the felt to be the line of demarcation regarding placing a bet.

I could not disagree more, especially if in the very same post your are concerned about too many theatrics. If the betting line becomes the line of demarcation as you put it, then you invite just about "anything goes" as far as angle shooting so long as it's behind the line. You are also inviting a world where we have to determine action essentially the same way goal line plays are evaluated in the NFL.

"Forward motion and release" is simple and widely understood.
This is how we appeal to the masses! Add instant replays and player challenges to poker like any other current sport in America. Brilliant!

From a rules perspective I think it’s clear string bet. The ruling seems fair and I also could have supported keeping it at $15.

I also have to admit to kind of liking how the California stream games treat this kind of issue. The pros almost always say something like “you can do whatever you want”. I realize they are reverse angling a bit but also making things easier on the non pros. Giving back a bit of EV. Obviously works in that environment but would not work in a tournament setting.

I like how this situation was handled and as with most things context is everything.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom