How would you rule? (1 Viewer)

MrCatPants

Full House
Reaction score
How would you rule?

Post flop, when checked to, a player picks up a stack of chips, moves the stack over the betting line. A few chips fall off the top, back towards his stack and behind the line. He then releases three red chips ($15) over the line. Then a second later says $30, and fishes the chips that fell backwards to complete the bet.

What?? gtfo
OP stated he grabbed a stacked. it was moved forward. it went over the betting line. bet stands. it was an accident that chips fell. player realised this and verbalised his bet and then picked up the chips that had fallen over.

if he announced the bet was only $15 or said nothing everyone would be complaing it should be $30.

$15 bet, and a warning that next time it's the entire stack.

Never $30, that's a clear string bet.
i agree with this if the player isn’t familiar with the process. First time offense is a warning an explanation.

OP stated he grabbed a stacked. it was moved forward. it went over the betting line. bet stands. it was an accident that chips fell. player realised this and verbalised his bet and then picked up the chips that had fallen over.

if he announced the bet was only $15 or said nothing everyone would be complaing it should be $30.
The stack he moved across the betting line contained more than $30.

Verbal is binding regardless of previous physical action. $30. It's happened to me a few times where I pick up 8 chips intending to put them all out, but 2 or 3 slip off the top of the stack while I'm picking the chips up before I can verbally announce my bet.
This isn't for certain based on the OP.

How would you rule?

Post flop, when checked to, a player picks up a stack of chips, moves the stack over the betting line. A few chips fall off the top, back towards his stack and behind the line. He then releases three red chips ($15) over the line. Then a second later says $30, and fishes the chips that fell backwards to complete the bet.
OP please clarify what the size of the initial stack was. the way it currently reads to me is that stack was initially 6 chips

i agree with this if the player isn’t familiar with the process. First time offense is a warning an explanation.

new angle now available. grab a barrel of chips. push barrel super fast over the betting line in such a manner than most chips fall backwards and then try to declare higher bet knowing full well that only the chips still infront of the line will count.

Verbal is binding regardless of previous physical action.
This is not true. Verbal action is binding only if prior to or simultaneously with a conflicting physical action. If the physical action if done first, any secondary verbal action is irrelevant -- the physical action stands.

Example:
Player tosses four $5 chips forward past the betting line. Player then states "bet is $10". Or the player then states "bet is $30". In either case, the physical action stands, and the bet is $20. Verbal is after-the-fact and irrelevant.

new angle now available. grab a barrel of chips. push barrel super fast over the betting line in such a manner than most chips fall backwards and then try to declare higher bet knowing full well that only the chips still infront of the line will count.
I know it’s an angle, that’s why it knowledge and player specific. Not to mention, once you make it clear to the table, that angle is no longer a thing. We’ve addressed it and now we move on.

That’s a new one to me.
I think we're talking about two different scenarios here. If I grab a barrel of $5's, say I'm betting $100, but two fall off of the stack over the betting line at the same time, is my bet $10?

It's much different than putting the barrel of $5's over the line and saying I'm betting $10. Catch my drift? Nuance is key here.

The scenario in the OP is more like the former if I understand it correctly.

I think we're talking about two different scenarios here. If I grab a barrel of $5's, say I'm betting $100, but two fall off of the stack over the betting line at the same time, is my bet $10?
No. Because if they happened at the same time, verbal controls. But that’s not what happened here.
Then a second later says $30

OP please clarify what the size of the initial stack was. the way it currently reads to me is that stack was initially 6 chips
I dont know. I think it was more like 40. But it was pretty quick so I don't have an exact number.

By the way (and excuse my vulgarity, but it’s late, I’ve had a few drinks, and this issue tilts me) the fact that these days most places allow you to move a barrel in, drop a few chips off the bottom, then pull the barrel back doesn’t make that move any less cunty. It’s a bullshit way to bet. It’s lazy, it’s sloppy and it feels like an invitation to angle. We should all post rules to outlaw this crap.

By the way (and excuse my vulgarity, but it’s late, I’ve had a few drinks, and this issue tilts me) the fact that these days most places allow you to move a barrel in, drop a few chips off the bottom, then pull the barrel back doesn’t make that move any less cunty. It’s a bullshit way to bet. It’s lazy, it’s sloppy and it feels like an invitation to angle. We should all post rules to outlaw this crap.
I just don't fall for angles. It's way easier than trying to enforce rules.

I just don't fall for angles. It's way easier than trying to enforce rules.
I don’t either. My god, the easiest thing to do in poker is to wait a beat, and ask for a clarification if necessary. But that’s only easy after you’ve learned the lesson time and time again, (probably the hard way.).
And let’s not excuse behavior that is lazy, sloppy, cunty and/or angly just because we know how to deal with it.

I don’t either. My god, the easiest thing to do in poker is to wait a beat, and ask for a clarification if necessary. But that’s only easy after you’ve learned the lesson time and time again, (probably the hard way.).
And let’s not excuse behavior that is lazy, sloppy, cunty and/or angly just because we know how to deal with it.
I'm not going to excuse it, but I ain't gonna let it get to me either.

Play your angles and I'll happily slow roll.

We need to see video to validate the OPs claim.
download.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom