"Big" PLO8 Hand Online - Biggest Pot in the Game for the Last 12 Months (3 Viewers)

As with everything in a 5 card game, the more interesting decisions are on the flop and the turn. But we gotta get there first.

Late in the night and only 6 people left, Big PLO8 (5 card PLO8) is the game. .25/.50, poker mavens online with my regular crew.

SB: ABC Player - $100
BB: Ultimate TAG, winningest player at the game - $100
UTG: Experienced player with shades of a calling station - $140
MP: Hero, blended TAG/LAG image - $220
CU: Skeptical player, overcalls because he is always sure he is being bluffed - $60
BT: Maniac, raises 85% of hands pre-flop in position - $170 stack

UTG flats .50

HERO looks down at :ad::3c::4c::jd::jh:

Pot is $1.25
Action on HERO
Call. We have an ok hand, best to let people in instead of getting squeezed out by a 3 bet if we open. Somebody surely has A2, clubs are no good for us, so we have JJ plus diamonds plus a great draw to the second best low. We NEED a 2 on the flop for our low to be any good.

Late to the game...

I call the raise due to no deuce....however I appreciate those that say repot. Let's see a flop...

Hero flats again for the same reasons - not bloating a pot that requires very specific flops to continue.

Late in the night and only 6 people left, Big PLO8 (5 card PLO8) is the game. .25/.50, poker mavens online with my regular crew.

CO: Skeptical player, overcalls because he is always sure he is being bluffed - $60

UTG flats .50

HERO FLATS .50
CO folds
BT pots to 2.25
SB folds
BB calls 2.25
UTG calls 2.25
HERO CALLS 2.25

POT is 9.25

Flop is :2c::3s::ts:

BB checks
UTG checks

Action on HERO

Hero flats again for the same reasons - not bloating a pot that requires very specific flops to continue.

CO: Skeptical player, overcalls because he is always sure he is being bluffed - $60

UTG flats .50

HERO FLATS .50
CO folds
BT pots to 2.25
SB folds
BB calls 2.25
UTG calls 2.25
HERO CALLS 2.25

POT is 9.25

BB checks
UTG checks

Action on HERO

Check, we don't want to go nuts here as we essentially only have the low draw, now with no backup

Very easy to get freerolled and/or quartered in these spots

NOW we have a hand! Low anyways, it would be nice to have at least 1 diamond out there for redraws to the high. We can still get quartered though, so no need to get this thing out of control yet. I am good with:
check- if you tend to always play in flow
bet 1/2 pot- if you do not tend to play in flow

I am not good with POT: because we will chase away weaker lows and have nothing good for a high.

Missed the early discussion... My question would have been, would a preflop flat > repot have thinned the field at all?

My experience with PLO8 is that most rec players will not fold once they have VPIPed preflop, at least not until later in the hand. And with multiple players to act, you can usually count on someone after you to pot it. So I think it is fine to flat with your strong hand and call when someone pots it. That way you have a decent pot for your well-above-average hand, but not a bloated one.

The flopped 23 gives you a great draw to the nut low, and reduces the chances that someone has a set of 3s, but otherwise is little help and increase the chances of a chopped low... The distressing thing is the board having two cards of a suit you’re not holding. At least one of the four villains is pretty likely to be holding two spades. Meanwhile your JJ is an overpair to the board, but that’s nothing to write home (or PCF) about in PLO8.

Would be great to make the wheel, but one of the 5s is a club, so really you only have 3 outs to a high hand, unless you count the 1 jack which is not a club.

Whether you bet or not to the two checks ahead of you on the flop depends a lot on what you know of these players’ habits. If you check, is there any chance of it checking through, or is one of the two remaining villains sure to pot it? If you pot it, do you have the stomach for calling or even 3potting it (is 3potting a term?)?

Per above, it is pretty hard to get four or even two folds in this spot with rec PLO8 players in my experience... I would check with the expectation of calling a pot bet. Too good to fold, not good enough to bloat.

Last edited:
I'm checking here. Our hand is mediocre, not much high value and if our low does come, we have to avoid an Ace or 4 on the next two streets to keep nut low.

I'd reluctantly call a decent sized bet here but if there is a bet and a raise in front of me, I'm letting it go. Come on Jc!

Signed,
NIT #1

Position here is meh. Draw is meh. Pot size is meh. Looking for a non-spade 5-8, or a jack. Any other turn card and we have to fold to much action.

A turned club would give you some added equity in theory, but you’d be drawing to the lowest possible flush... Although I guess a 5c would be kind of sweet. (Is that where we’re headed with this biggest pot ever?)

The issue as said by others is, if you don't raise pre with this hand you are allowing multiple mediocre hands see a flop. Thats when you get stacked by someone holding 88xxx or 77xxx because they were allowed to see a flop for really cheap.
Keep doing that and you'll be posting a thread about how you are continually "ahead' of everyone but "they always get there"

Also... if you're not raising pre with this hand what are you waiting for? AA23Kds AAKK2?

The issue as said by others is, if you don't raise pre with this hand you are allowing multiple mediocre hands see a flop. Thats when you get stacked by someone holding 88xxx or 77xxx because they were allowed to see a flop for really cheap.
Keep doing that and you'll be posting a thread about how you are continually "ahead' of everyone but "they always get there"

Also... if you're not raising pre with this hand what are you waiting for? AA23Kds AAKK2?
Exactly!!! My man!! @MatB is officially invited to the animal house.

Some of you guys confound me, and also are very welcome at my game. :)

Hero checks as a nut low draw and an overpair is pretty darn weak on a two flush board.

UTG flats .50

HERO FLATS .50
CO folds
BT pots to 2.25
SB folds
BB calls 2.25
UTG calls 2.25
HERO CALLS 2.25

POT is 9.25

BB checks
UTG checks
HERO CHECKS
BT pots 9.25
BB folds
UTG calls 9.25

Action on hero.

Some of you guys confound me, and also are very welcome at my game. :)

UTG flats .50

HERO FLATS .50
CO folds
BT pots to 2.25
SB folds
BB calls 2.25
UTG calls 2.25
HERO CALLS 2.25

POT is 9.25

BB checks
UTG checks
HERO CHECKS
BT pots 9.25
BB folds
UTG calls 9.25

Action on hero.

I would lean towards a fold. Spots like this can be huge money burners. We essentially have a 1-way hand and might get quartered even if we hit

UTG flats .50

HERO FLATS .50
CO folds
BT pots to 2.25
SB folds
BB calls 2.25
UTG calls 2.25
HERO CALLS 2.25

POT is 9.25

BB checks
UTG checks
HERO checks
BT pots 9.25
BB folds
UTG calls 9.25
Hero makes a stupid call because he's stuck like $200.

Turn brings the exact card someone called for, :2c::3s::ts::jc:

Pot is $37

BB bets $15
Action on hero

UTG flats .50

HERO FLATS .50
CO folds
BT pots to 2.25
SB folds
BB calls 2.25
UTG calls 2.25
HERO CALLS 2.25

POT is 9.25

BB checks
UTG checks
HERO checks
BT pots 9.25
BB folds
UTG calls 9.25

Pot is $37

BB bets $15
Action on hero
wait, how can BB fold the flop and lead the turn?

UTG flats .50

HERO FLATS .50
CO folds
BT pots to 2.25
SB folds
BB calls 2.25
UTG calls 2.25
HERO CALLS 2.25

POT is 9.25

BB checks
UTG checks
HERO checks
BT pots 9.25
BB folds
UTG calls 9.25

Pot is $37

BB bets $15
Action on hero

Bet $60.00

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom