Update on Mrs. Bentax (1 Viewer)

Thanks for sharing, and hoping for the best for Mrs. Bentax!

I haven't had as much time to peruse the forums lately but am glad I signed on tonight and stumbled across this thread. The BRCA2 mutation runs through my family and has affected too many of us, most recently my father, who lost his ~3 year fight against prostate cancer this past March at the age of 65. He also lost his mother to breast cancer when she was in her 40's, and my sister recently went through her own bilateral mastectomy as a preventative measure. I'm only in my mid-30's but have been working with my father's urologist to be as proactive as possible, and am actually going in this Thursday for a baseline MRI (hopefully just a baseline). First enema experience woohoo!

Since my father passed I've been meaning to post something here about BRCA and a PSA (pun?) of sorts for genetic screening / prostate health awareness. I've been really bad with continually putting this off, but seeing your post here has renewed my feeling that it'd be the right thing to do, that my dad would want me to spread the word, and that the BRCA mutations are probably not as rare as some might think.

Sorry for the slight thread hijack. I'll start a new thread once I have a bit more time to tell the full story, and if I haven't posted it in the next week or two someone please give me a swift kick in the ass.

Thanks for sharing, and hoping for the best for Mrs. Bentax!

I haven't had as much time to peruse the forums lately but am glad I signed on tonight and stumbled across this thread. The BRCA2 mutation runs through my family and has affected too many of us, most recently my father, who lost his ~3 year fight against prostate cancer this past March at the age of 65. He also lost his mother to breast cancer when she was in her 40's, and my sister recently went through her own bilateral mastectomy as a preventative measure. I'm only in my mid-30's but have been working with my father's urologist to be as proactive as possible, and am actually going in this Thursday for a baseline MRI (hopefully just a baseline). First enema experience woohoo!

Since my father passed I've been meaning to post something here about BRCA and a PSA (pun?) of sorts for genetic screening / prostate health awareness. I've been really bad with continually putting this off, but seeing your post here has renewed my feeling that it'd be the right thing to do, that my dad would want me to spread the word, and that the BRCA mutations are probably not as rare as some might think.

Sorry for the slight thread hijack. I'll start a new thread once I have a bit more time to tell the full story, and if I haven't posted it in the next week or two someone please give me a swift kick in the ass.

No worries about hijacking the thread, I appreciate you sharing your experience. I'm sorry to hear that your dad lost his battle this spring, and that you and the rest of your family have to deal with this on an ongoing basis. As shocking and upsetting as Jen's initial cancer diagnosis was, finding out she was BRCA2+ a few weeks later was probably even more difficult. I suppose it shouldn't have been as huge a shock in hindsight given that there was a strong history of cancer in her family, but it still was quite unexpected and upsetting. The progression over that first 3 week period went from finding out the small lump was cancerous (probably no chemo/radiation needed) to finding out it was a much large tumor (at least a single mastectomy) to lymph node involvement (chemo/radiation) to BRCA2+ (bilateral mastectomy, oophorectomy, significantly increased concerns about future cancer). And this all happened between the middle of December and the beginning on January, which just made everything a bit tougher because of the holidays.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom