The Heraldry Room - First Custom Set - Input Requested (7 Viewers)

Delivering a broadside of unrequested pics ...

stacks.jpg

splash.jpg

case.jpg

tray.jpg

samples.jpg

Short list of subjective impressions (sorry, in a hurry atm)

- theme
- helmet

not so much
- double denom (too small as well for my taste)
- Font for 'Heraldry Room' (there has to be an authentic one out there that can be arranged in an arch without looking ugly)
- Retro Lavender (in this lineup)
- not having samples (someone already mentioned this? oh, never mind ;))

Constructive suggestions as soon as I have some time on my hands. :)

not so much
- double denom (too small as well for my taste)
- Font for 'Heraldry Room' (there has to be an authentic one out there that can be arranged in an arch without looking ugly)
- Retro Lavender (in this lineup)

Its hard to argue these points. I don't hate the double denom. I'm not sure it would be better with just one denom and off center. I'd probably stick with it. Or do a two sided chip. Only have the denom on one side?

The point I probably agree on the most is the retro lavender. Stand alone, its one of my favorite colors. It does look out of place with this design and color palette.

These are just minimum cons to an otherwise fantastic looking set.

Delivering a broadside of unrequested pics ...

I like seeing these on the H-Mold

When I originally decided to do this set, I planned to use the H-Mold. (That's why I found a name beginning with "H")

I chose the mold for two reasons:

1) The history of the actual mold itself and having my chips pressed with the same plates as all the other historical H-Mold chips out there
2) The tie-in to Houston

I switched to the Jockey mold because:

1) Apparently a group of H-Mold runs have just been completed and the mold has been pulled off the press. Who knows when it will be loaded again.
2) I like the look of the jockey mold better
2) The jockey mold is the closest I can get to a Paulson chip (can't over estimate the importance of this one)
3) There is a group buy about to go in on the jockey mold, so I'm thinking if I pile on with another order, maybe the mold will get loaded soon.

If I dropped the retro lavender, I would probably lean toward this...

steeler.png

The only problem is that it becomes a mixed theme for me. I am a big Steelers fan, and I would always see the hundo as "the Steelers chip".

My gut says #6

Actually, my gut says the same thing. It fits the progression and it blends very well with the rest of the set. My concern is that it might blend too well. If I'm going to pay for a level 8 spot, I'd like to have a chip with a wow factor.

For the foreseeable future, at least 99.9% of the pots will only have the first three chips in use. When a $100 chip hits the pot, I'd like it to "announce its presence with authority" as Calvin LaLoosh would say.

Last edited:
Because you're already repeating white on all your spots, I would try to pick an unused color (still tough without using an obvious dg color):

IMG_1971.PNG

But then again, I really don't mind the lavendar myself.

And here is a rough comparison of one denomination vs two...

View attachment 105207

I think it was mentioned, but what about taking the denomination off that side completely. Make it a 2 sided chip and put the denomination on the reverse side big in the center with the name.

I kinda did it with my custom set.

Attachments

• IMG_2571.PNG
    IMG_2571.PNG
    529.5 KB · Views: 106
I tried to casually mock a flip-side option on the $5 (with an alternative font as well). The shield could repeat the chip colors in various patterns and when adding some shine and faux metal effects the colors don't even have to match exactly. Breaking the symmetry on that side and letting elements vary a little bit will help in finding a good balance (I slapped it together, so it's an example for bad balance - hehe) for the different denoms (0,25 ct to $500?).

If you flip the spot pattern (color vs white) the white stands out on this chip and when coupled with lavender or butterscotch could achieve the authority you were after.

samples_alt.jpg

All just based my personal taste but might kick off & develop some ideas from other posts as well that may appeal to you. Your money, your chips, your taste after all. :)

BTW: I simply don't have the jockey mold in my digital arsenal and that's why I chose the H-mold. :whistle: :whistling:

Because you're already repeating white on all your spots, I would try to pick an unused color (still tough without using an obvious dg color):

View attachment 105184

But then again, I really don't mind the lavendar myself.

Chip #3

If I dropped the retro lavender, I would probably lean toward this...

View attachment 105170

The only problem is that it becomes a mixed theme for me. I am a big Steelers fan, and I would always see the hundo as "the Steelers chip".

The problem with this is you go from two colors, three colors, three colors, three colors, two colors.

You also have to realize, you are going to get 27 different views on how chips should progress. Simply take what we have to offer, and mix it in with what you like and want. Fuck everyone else. Go with what makes you happy.

Last edited:
I like the blue chip but as mentioned it is only 2 colours which may appear to be a bit of a downgrade in the progression, could maybe add another colour to it ?

iOv2aV.png
NVVkl7.png
sMufoR.png

Takes it up to level 10 though.

Actually the biggest concern I have about the progression is the green chip. All other chips have spot locations in a multiple of 3. The green chip has a pattern of 4. Does that look out of place to anyone? I can't find a way to change it without going up to at least a level 7 chip.

Could maybe change the red chip to a double spit with 2 colours then go for the 3ta16 on the green ?

Also yellow looks very mustard in real life, not sure that is the look you are going for ? canary is more of a proper yellow.

Actually, that is the look I'm going for. The heraldry color palate has no provision for any shade of yellow. However, silver and gold are listed as metals. Since a proper chip set needs some yellow, I'm cheating a bit and going with a shade of yellow that can best be construed as gold. I think mustard is the closest approximation available.

Could maybe change the red chip to a double spit with 2 colours then go for the 3ta16 on the green ?

Actually, I did try that. Unfortunately, the red chip lost all its punch for me in the process. The only alternative red I could find that I liked was this...

red.png

And all that does is reverse the problem.

I could go this direction.. (see next post)

This would even save me some money

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom