The Heraldry Room - First Custom Set - Input Requested (1 Viewer)

align.png

newest.png

No, that wasn't the source of the confusion. At first I didn't even know that you could rotate them, but then I found where to do it in the design tool. My confusion was on the value of rotating the chip. When the chips are produced, the labels aren't going to be aligned, and the chips will be hitting the pot at all sorts of angles, so having a specific rotation in the mockup isn't going to be representative of actual use. If a chip looks good at one rotation setting but doesn't look good at another, what does that say about how the chips are going to look in person?

I specifically asked ASM to not align my inlays when I had them made in 2008, but they were aligned in production anyways. Safe bet to plan on them being as they are in mockup.

They do have a few degrees of error in the alignment though. Don't expect to color match a quarter-pie inlay thinking it will line up just right with the clay. I have a series of 212s with an alignment at 2 and 8 o'clock, but there are a number that are as far off as 1 and 7 o'clock.

While we're at this kind of thing already, what I would like to know as well here is, what about tolerances for inlay positioning (centering)?

I have a barrel of inlaid samples (and inlay shape samples) and relative to the total amount there aren't just a few where the inlays are noticeably off center. Is that just because they're samples that might have been produced with higher tolerances, or does one have to expect this too when having a set manufactured?

Same for scratches on the chip faces, particularly with the inlay shape samples.

what I would like to know as well here is...

"Scratches" on the inlay - or lines that seem to traverse the inlay - are normal.

Inlays not being exactly centered are normal, and as long as they don't protrude into the mold, are tolerated & not considered "errors".

I always got extra when I ordered from ASM. The extra more than made up for the few production errors that I found.

The only exception was when I ordered 100 of an addon denom. I got 100 chips. Should have ordered 90. ;)

"Scratches" on the inlay - or lines that seem to traverse the inlay - are normal.
Well I did notice the stripes on the actual inlay as well, but that was not what I meant. The scratches are actually around the shaped inlay:
DSC_0051_20170705_203514.jpg DSC_0052_20170705_203507.jpg DSC_0053_20170705_203502.jpg

I always got extra when I ordered from ASM. The extra more than made up for the few production errors that I found.

Yeah I've heard about the extras, but the % share of the chips among my samples that are not quite perfect is a bit higher than I'd expect to get as extras. I am going to order extras as replacements in case some chips get damaged during play anyway, but I'd hate to have to use those up already to compensate production errors.

While we're on the subject of inlays I did have a question. I've seen some inlays that are slick and some that are textured (pressed into the mold texture). Is that a choice I can make or is that mold/inlay size or shape dependent?

While we're on the subject of inlays I did have a question. I've seen some inlays that are slick and some that are textured (pressed into the mold texture). Is that a choice I can make or is that mold/inlay size or shape dependent?

Depends on the mold used i believe.

FDL mold inlay is smooth as it has a big recess, all the rest are hatched i believe but with varying roughness.

The only picture I could find was this...

sample1.png

Looking at the Holiday Inn sign, It looks textured. That is encouraging.

All the Jockey mold samples I have are very visibly textured but they actually feel much smoother than they look like. HCE is a little rougher and CSQ a little smoother, subjectively.
Texture on the inlay looks a bit crappy on one of the Jockeys whereas on another it looks clean, no idea what the source of this is.

Last edited:
Near the top of the page of the Mold Designs link reads:

"Please note the FDL & 44mm A-Crest molds produce chips with smooth inlays. All other molds produce textured inlays."

Texture on the inlay looks a bit crappy on one of the Jockeys whereas on another it looks clean, no idea what the source of this is.

I believe this is due to wear and tear on the mold.

I thought the jockey mold was one of the newer molds.
Sorry I was just speaking in general terms as that is what was said to me when I asked CPC earlier this year about the amount of texture on the inlay surface. I have various inlaid samples on the A and H molds and every chip has varying degrees of texture (even front to back)... instances of glossy smooth, very course and everything in between.

Starting to lean this direction, but not sure about the red chip. The red will be my workhorse for the foreseeable future, so I would like it to have a little punch to it.

newest.png

reds.png

If you want it to have punch, you're gonna have to go with the mandarin red. The regular red with black spots and a black inlay will bury this chip faster than set over set.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom