Poker Chip Shipping Tips and Tricks (7 Viewers)

I got a PM from @jeff123 asking how to ship small amounts of chips for less than the padded bubble mailer. Here is my method.

Always get shipping from paypal as you get a discount. https://www.paypal.com/shiplabel/create/

Step 1: Saran wrap the chips to keep them from bonking each other in shipping and making flea bites.

PXL_20201005_224711992.jpg

Step 2: Bubble wrap the chips.

PXL_20201005_224835714.jpg

Step 3: Use a scrap piece of cardboard to build a custom box. Use the point of the scissors to score the folding lines and then cut the outside tabs. Once they are bubble wrapped and boxed the chips are almost impervious to damage. I've shipped many mugs and glasses this way and they have never broken.

PXL_20201005_225123693.jpg
PXL_20201005_225227620.jpg

PXL_20201005_225439823.jpg
PXL_20201005_225535160.jpg

Step 4: Put the box in a paper or Tyvek envelope, weigh and ship first class USPS. You can send anything a pound and under first class.

PXL_20201005_225616539.jpg

PXL_20201005_225732404.jpg

PXL_20201005_224711992.jpgPXL_20201005_224835714.jpgPXL_20201005_225123693.jpgPXL_20201005_225227620.jpgPXL_20201005_225439823.jpgPXL_20201005_225535160.jpgPXL_20201005_225616539.jpgPXL_20201005_225732404.jpg

How should I ship 200 chips from US to Canada? I was originally thinking padded flat rate envelope, but the package will be over the four pound weight limit.

How should I ship 200 chips from US to Canada? I was originally thinking padded flat rate envelope, but the package will be over the four pound weight limit.
160 chips or so is the most you can ship (via padded rolls in a padded envelope or an expanded SFRB inside one) while keeping under the 4 lb limit for International Priority flat rates.

But you can still ship a 5 lb box either by International Priority (just not flat rate) or First Class from US to CAN -- unsure of the Priority cost, but I think First Class is around $14 (and takes about 10 days, depending on total miles traveled). I'd guess about twice that amount for a Priority shipment of 5 lbs.

You may want to read this thread again. No way 200 in anything less than a well-padded box would be safe.
No way for US to Canada while keeping under the 4lb limit or no way in general? There are multiple ways to safely ship two racks stateside inside a PFRE. SFRB triple/quadruple padded is one way. Other methods are also mentioned by other members in this thread.

But you can still ship a 5 lb box either by International Priority (just not flat rate) or First Class from US to CAN -- unsure of the Priority cost, but I think First Class is around $14 (and takes about 10 days, depending on total miles traveled). I'd guess about twice that amount for a Priority shipment of 5 lbs.
Maybe I’m blind, but I’m not seeing this option on USPS. Isn’t the limit for first class international 4 lb? Which carrier offers 5lb box? I’ve received 5lb boxes from Canada Post before, but I don’t think Americans can use their services...

MFRB is around $50 and there’ll be a lot of empty space for padding, so I’m looking for a cheaper option.

I should clarify - I wouldn't ship anything more than samples in an envelope. Packages are never "machined" at the same rate of speed as envelopes. Speed x weight = force. Charge more for shipping, and get it there safely.

I should clarify - I wouldn't ship anything more than samples in an envelope. Packages are never "machined" at the same rate of speed as envelopes. Speed x weight = force. Charge more for shipping, and get it there safely.
I think @Poker Zombie is confusing terms: shipping via padded envelope/mailer is /= to properly using a large Priority Padded Flat Rate Envelope (which will typically not fit in a flat item processing machine; it gets scanned like orher Priority packages).

Maybe I’m blind, but I’m not seeing this option on USPS. Isn’t the limit for first class international 4 lb? Which carrier offers 5lb box? I’ve received 5lb boxes from Canada Post before, but I don’t think Americans can use their services...

MFRB is around $50 and there’ll be a lot of empty space for padding, so I’m looking for a cheaper option.
You can send any size box you want via USPS Priority Mail -- it doesn't have to be a USPS-supplied box. Just use an appropriately-sized box for your contents, or build one out of cardboard (to encapsulate your padded contents). Priority Mail rates are based on package size, weight, and distance (unless using a USPS-supplied Flat Rate container option).

You can send any size box you want via USPS Priority Mail -- it doesn't have to be a USPS-supplied box. Just use an appropriately-sized box for your contents, or build one out of cardboard (to encapsulate your padded contents). Priority Mail rates are based on package size, weight, and distance (unless using a USPS-supplied Flat Rate container option).
OH! Zone based price. Thanks for the clarification. I now see $45.60 for 5lb Zone 1, a small saving vs MFRB. Still nowhere close to the $26ish I was hoping to spend :(

I restocked on small priority mail boxes this morning, and I’m wondering if anyone else has noticed this...

The boxes feel like the cardboard is slightly thinner and flimsier than I’m used to.

I also feel like they may be very slightly shorter. (Every millimeter counts when getting a Warnecke box wrapped in padding to fit.)

Did the USPS do some cost cutting here on the production of boxes? Or did I just get a bad batch?

Sorry if this is already somewhere in the huge thread. I checked the first couple pages but didn't find it.

My question is, How many chips (39/40mm) can fit in a LFRB? Or - what's the cheapest way to ship 2250 china clays?

Edit - that's china clay sluggos. So 67 pounds just for the chips.

Sorry if this is already somewhere in the huge thread. I checked the first couple pages but didn't find it.

My question is, How many chips (39/40mm) can fit in a LFRB? Or - what's the cheapest way to ship 2250 china clays?

Depends on how you pack 'em (relatively fragile clays well-protected vs gross shipping of indestructable plastics), and where they are going (international shipments have a 20lb weight limit for both MFRB and LFRB).

But generally speaking, 600 chips safely for a MFRB, and 800 chips safely for a LFRB. You can squeeze roughly 100 more into either size box if you prep properly or the chips are less fragile.

Personally, I'd send 2250 china clays in either two LFRB and one MFRB, or just use four MFRBs. And I'd never use a LFRB unless it was double-boxed with reinforced corners.

I'm assuming domestic shipping. You could probably do 2 LFRBs.

You can fit 200 chips in a SFRB in 5 stacks of 40. You can fit 6 filled SFRB in a MFRB. Then pad the hell out of it and put the MFRB inside the LFRB. Repeat once. The boxes will be pretty heavy.

Q: I’m looking to show my appreciation for my mail carrier and was wondering if/what other people have done in the past. He’s not a stickler for rules and seems laid back but I don’t want to make him feel uncomfortable by giving him something outside of what their allowed to accept (up to $20 in value and cannot be days or cash redeemable). If others could shed some light on how they do this of if they’ve done it with different carriers and never had an issue with giving more than $20 cash (I was thinking $50-$100 given COVID and how much he’s helped me this year over the avg household), or even if you have had issue, your input would be appreciated.

Q: I’m looking to show my appreciation for my mail carrier and was wondering if/what other people have done in the past. He’s not a stickler for rules and seems laid back but I don’t want to make him feel uncomfortable by giving him something outside of what their allowed to accept (up to $20 in value and cannot be days or cash redeemable). If others could shed some light on how they do this of if they’ve done it with different carriers and never had an issue with giving more than $20 cash (I was thinking $50-$100 given COVID and how much he’s helped me this year over the avg household), or even if you have had issue, your input would be appreciated.
Give him some poker chips

How about an Amazon gift card? It maximizes both utility and irony all at once.

Beware the free "Fragile" Stickers! The lady at the post office (I guess I'd be crabby if I worked there too) didn't tell me that if you apply the fragile sticker it's an additional $11.35. She took my packages and life went on till the receiver of one of them got whacked for the $11.35, 8 other were delivered with no issue. I looked on the website and indeed there is an 11$ charge for fragile shipping. You think she would have said something when she accepted it not just screw the receiver. I of course offered to refund the buyer who told me he got extorted for the 11.

Just order a bunch of “Cremated Remains” stickers from USPS and slap them on the box. They’ll handle it nicely without charging you extra.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom